Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Depends how you define pirate movie, I guess. It certainly reads as a pirate movie to casual viewers, particularly based just on the original trailer.

Oh, for sure! I definitely think it could be successful if they make the right choices. But it’ll be a big risk any way you slice it, and I do think going campy with it would give it a better chance than trying to chase the tail of LotR or GoT.

The OG DnD movie would be successful right now, if remade with better effects, and some cleaner up writing and acting. Especially with the talent they got for it.

The tone was fun, the story was sensible and evocative, and the characters were likeable and played well off eachother. Even the main villain was a blast.

That said, Weiss wants to rewrite the Chronicles, and I say let her, in the form of a high quality Netflix cartoon.

THEN put out a DnD movie.

doctorbadwolf

People wanting them is never the issue. It's the studios' ability to execute that's the problem.

Look at the reviews for Mary Poppins. It's obvious the whole cast and crew wanted it to be 'right'. They loved doing it. It didn't work.

That's a really good point. I could see the tone of Guardians working (especially the way they handled the ensemble). Maybe James Gunn will be a bit cheaper to hire now? :heh:

Thinking about it more, maybe Thor Ragnarok is an even better example. That one had all the Kirby cosmic weirdness and techno-funky stuff mixed with high fantasy, mixed with buddy movie chemistry.

And genuine moments of catharsis. Both movies, actually, but Thor did it better IMO.

Just make sure Silvrestry (sp?) does the score

Parmandur

Book-Friend
People wanting them is never the issue. It's the studios' ability to execute that's the problem.

Look at the reviews for Mary Poppins. It's obvious the whole cast and crew wanted it to be 'right'. They loved doing it. It didn't work.

That's a really good point. I could see the tone of Guardians working (especially the way they handled the ensemble). Maybe James Gunn will be a bit cheaper to hire now? :heh:

Thinking about it more, maybe Thor Ragnarok is an even better example. That one had all the Kirby cosmic weirdness and techno-funky stuff mixed with high fantasy, mixed with buddy movie chemistry.

The director is the guy who did the Lego Batman Movie, so wackiness seems likely.

Satyrn

First Post
The director is the guy who did the Lego Batman Movie, so wackiness seems likely.

We're nearly 20 years too late for this to happen, but my dream team for this movie would be for Paul Verhoeven to direct a script written by Ed Neumeier . . . What I'm saying is RoboCop and Starship Troopers were awesome, and we could combine them into a wacky movie about warforged overwhelmed by a horde of undead.

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
The OG DnD movie would be successful right now, if remade with better effects, and some cleaner up writing and acting. Especially with the talent they got for it.

The tone was fun, the story was sensible and evocative, and the characters were likeable and played well off eachother. Even the main villain was a blast.

I agree that the tone and Jeremy Irons’ character were fun, but in an ironic, campy way. He was also the ONLY likable character, and the story was anything but sensible. I love the movie, but in a “so bad it’s good” way. It did have some amazing talent in it though, for sure.

doctorbadwolf

I agree that the tone and Jeremy Irons’ character were fun, but in an ironic, campy way. He was also the ONLY likable character, and the story was anything but sensible. I love the movie, but in a “so bad it’s good” way. It did have some amazing talent in it though, for sure.

I think you aren’t seeing past the bad writing and directing/editing.

Also the story is...objectively sensible.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ

I think you saw a different movie than me.

doctorbadwolf

I think you saw a different movie than me.

I think you might be missing my point by viewing my post as being about the literal film we saw, rather than the parts of it that should have made a very good movie, and would have with better directing, editing, writing, and effects.

Azzy

ᚳᚣᚾᛖᚹᚢᛚᚠ
I think you might be missing my point by viewing my post as being about the literal film we saw, rather than the parts of it that should have made a very good movie, and would have with better directing, editing, writing, and effects.

I thought the story, characters, and setting were all crap, too. So, maybe not.

Remove ads