Diagonal movement into difficult terrain?

SheckyS

First Post
So I play on a square grid using the 5/10 rules. That is, the first diagonal move costs 5 feet and the second costs an additional 10 feet.

But what happens if the second diagonal move is into a square that is rough terrain and therefore already would have cost 10 feet? Does it double to 20? Or does it stay 10?

Same/similar question if I am moving through an ally's square? That already costs 10 as though it was difficult terrain? So do I add an extra 5 for 15? Or is it 20? Or just 10? :)

What do you want it to be? You table, your rules.

Me, we use the 5/10 diagonal as well. And when a square is difficult it costs double, so moving into a difficult terrain square costs 10 or 20, depending. My table, my rules :)

EDIT: Err, well, in 4E it didn't double, it just added an extra 5ft so it would be 10/15. But I don't remember what I do of the 2...

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
In all seriousness, if you want the shape of the resulting area to be geometrically similar between regular terrain and difficult terrain, then difficult diagonal movement must cost 10/20. Difficult terrain cuts your effective rectilinear movement range in half, so it ought to also reduce your effective diagonal movement range in half.

Satyrn

First Post
So I play on a square grid using the 5/10 rules. That is, the first diagonal move costs 5 feet and the second costs an additional 10 feet.

But what happens if the second diagonal move is into a square that is rough terrain and therefore already would have cost 10 feet? Does it double to 20? Or does it stay 10?

Same/similar question if I am moving through an ally's square? That already costs 10 as though it was difficult terrain? So do I add an extra 5 for 15? Or is it 20? Or just 10? :)

I'd try doubling it for a couple fights, and then try making it just +5 for a couple more fights, and choose the one that works best for the table.

Or, just check the DMG. It might have a suggestion you could go with.

Li Shenron

Legend

I think it should be 20.

If moving diagonally is treated as moving alternately 5 and 10, then the second time your actual moved distance is 10 and for each 5 the difficult terrain costs 10.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
Holy crap, [MENTION=6685730]DMMike[/MENTION] got table code to work!!! Is there a tutorial or something that you can share?

Nutation

Explorer
A normal diagonal is 1.5 squares. The 5/10 convention is just to round that to integers.
A difficult diagonal is 3 squares (15 ft). That is regardless of whether you've already covered an even or odd number of normal diagonals, which are tracked separately. DMMike is showing you the correct chart.

Remove ads