D&D 5E removing heavy armor profiency

Yaarel

He Mage
The Strength Fighter (especially without armor) can focus on Jumping and Climbing, and Athletics generally.

Boost running speed. Maybe bonus action Dashes? Let them Push farther, knock prone, even stun, when hitting.

Break bones. Throw enemies into other enemies.

Hit with sword and grapple to restrain with free hand, at the same time.

Strength stuff.

Horwath

Legend
Extra skill proficiency for each class that heavy armor was removed.

Buff medium armourmastery feat to:
+1 str,dex or con.
Medium armor does not give stealth disadvantage.
while you wear light or medium armor gain +1 AC.

Fanaelialae

Legend
Edit: if you want a variant that replaces heavy armor with a similar level of DEX-independence-for-AC in the classes that normally get it, you could give them a feature that allows them to substitute proficiency for their DEX mod, up to a limit of 5, when calculating AC. Thus it would 'optimal' for such characters to dump DEX, start with medium armor, and graduate to light armor later.

I like this idea. If you only give this feature as a substitute for heavy armor proficiency, you don't even need to limit it to 5. Since light armor tops out at AC 12, you'd have the same AC as plate once your proficiency reaches +6. It also makes the Medium Armor Master feat slightly more desirable, since it would allow you to achieve AC 18 at level 5 (maybe have it automatically grant Heavy Armor Master benefits at proficiency +6, since at that point the other benefit would be useless).

Yaarel

He Mage
No one would wear it. I mean, you'd have to have a 12 in all 3 to get any benefit.

You get the base benefit, 13 for Chain shirt, etcetera.

But to go beyond the metal armor, requires someone that is strong to carry the weight and move around in it agilely, effortlessly, that is tough to persist with the added weight (actually a huge requirement in reallife), and is dexterous to be able to dodge and deflect incoming attacks.

Satyrn

First Post
You get the base benefit, 13 for Chain shirt, etcetera.

Well, I meant extra benefit.

I should add, I get the feel you're suggesting, and it's a neat idea in theory. I just don't think it would ever get used. Maybe one out every 20 (or some other number that means "rare" that I could pull out of my butt ;)) - which I guess could be cool for a setting where this armor is meant to be rare.

Yaarel

He Mage
Plus, a high level Fighter with Strength 20, Dexterity 20, and Constitution 20, gains significant benefit from such Medium Armor.

For example.

AC 22 = halfplate base 15 + 5 Str/Dex/Con + shield

Plus any magical bonuses.

In other words, all of those ability score improvements actually become useful.

Yaarel

He Mage
Well, I meant extra benefit.

I should add, I get the feel you're suggesting, and it's a neat idea in theory. I just don't think it would ever get used. Maybe one out every 20 (or some other number that means "rare" that I could pull out of my butt ;)) - which I guess could be cool for a setting where this armor is meant to be rare.

Yeah, but the setting wants armor to be rare!

The lowest Physical Ability is a highly realistic way to achieve this theme.

Remove ads