Who's Multiclassing With Who? More D&D Beyond Stats!

D&D Beyond has released yet more stats! We've already seen the most common adventures, classes by tier, and subclasses. This time it's a look at popular multiclass combinations! They use "active characters" which are those not deleted or suspended, and which there is "some reasonable sense that maybe they're played". There was a LOT of data whizzing by very fast in the Twitch stream, so here it is broken down.

D&D Beyond has released yet more stats! We've already seen the most common adventures, classes by tier, and subclasses. This time it's a look at popular multiclass combinations! They use "active characters" which are those not deleted or suspended, and which there is "some reasonable sense that maybe they're played". There was a LOT of data whizzing by very fast in the Twitch stream, so here it is broken down.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 10.47.41.png

It turns out that 11% of level 2+ characters are multiclass and 27% of level 20 characters are multiclass. This varies by class, of course, with the fighter being the most common, with 33% multiclassed at levels 2+ and nearly 40% at level 20.

In the graphics here, the light blue is characters of level 2+, the dark blue is characters of level 20. The fact that you can take more than just two classes means that these won't add up to exactly 100%.

Fighter/Rogue is the most popular combo, followed by Barbarian/Fighter. Warlock/Bard is the least popular.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 10.50.44.png

Up at level 20, the figures differ a little.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 10.51.50.png

Zooming in at the bard, you can see it broken down by level. Level 1 is a popular level as are 3 and 10. The most popular choices for a bard's multi class are the rogue and the warlock.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 10.55.10.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 10.56.26.png

And here's the cleric by level. The most popular cleric combinations are fighter, wizard, and rogue.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 10.57.46.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 10.58.44.png

Here are druids, one of the least popular multiclasses, with only 8% multiclass druids. There's a peak at 10th level. Barbarians, rangers, and clerics are popular combos.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.00.14.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.01.53.png

Paladins. Levels 2 and 6 are popular. Popular combos are with warlock, fighter, and sorcerer.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.05.25.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.06.24.png

Next up is the ranger. Popular multiclasses are rogue, fighter, and druid.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.07.51.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.08.12.png

Monk is next. Level 17 is a milestone, and it multiclasses with rogue, fighter, and barbarian most.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.10.52.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.11.12.png

Sorcerer. Warlock, paladin, and fighters are common multiclasses.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.13.02.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.13.32.png

And then we have the warlock. A very popular choice for muliticlassing, with 23-25% of warlock characters doing so. Sorcerer, fighter, rogue are the popular multiclasses.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.15.19.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.17.30.png

The wizard has a peak at 10th level. They tend to multiclass with warlocks, paladins, and fighters.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.18.52.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.19.26.png

For the barbarian, we have mainly a low level dip, and lots of fighter multiclasses, followed by druid, rogue and monk.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.20.49.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.22.13.png

This one is the fighter. Very popular for multiclassers, with 33% of characters, and nearly 40% at level 20. Warlock, paladin and... fighter? are popular multiclasses.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.23.25.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.25.08.png

And then we have the rogue! Almost as popular as the fighter (32%). The popular mutliclass choices here are warlock, paladin, and fighter.

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.34.41.png

Screenshot 2019-02-17 at 11.35.46.png

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
That seems to fit with me. I have a level 5 barbarian and was looking at the 6-10 levels of barbarian and decided it wouldn't bring enough that was new to my character. Just the same old same old.

Although in defiance of the popular (according to this data) I shall be multi-classing into Ranger.

Barbarian/Ranger is a lot of fun!

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
The abundance of level 3 multiclasses seems like an index to how many of these characters are real. Theorycrafters love level 20 characters with level 9 spells, so they aren't tempted to bump that up to level 4 for a feat. Many of those 'level 20' characters were likely never played.

I disagree. 4 levels in a class for a feat/asi isn’t better than starting on your spell progression sooner for any kind of multiclassed full caster. IMO.

Ganders

Explorer
Almost all the charts show big jumps at the subclass levels. Except paladins and monks -- with them the subclass isn't much of a draw.

I'm not sure what to make of monks. The levels with movement increase (6,10,14) are very popular, but for some reason the movement increase at level 2 isn't. What gives?
Also monk-rogues are generally just dipping monk, but monk-fighters divide the levels in pretty much any balance.

Selvarin

Explorer
Hmm, most common multiclass for me has been fighter (eldritch knight)/wizard (various), fighter/rogue, and cleric/wizard. One I wish to try for various reasons would be ranger/wizard, as the wizard spells would add the old-time feel.

Aiden_Keller_

First Post
I made an Eld Wizard at 1st level, picked Bladesong as my subclass and then my next level was to multi class as a War Priest...so I get those bonus attacks....

My DM was intrigued because he had never seen it...amazed the other players when I could suddenly heal from far away using my familiar....

Selvarin

Explorer
I made an Eld Wizard at 1st level, picked Bladesong as my subclass and then my next level was to multi class as a War Priest...so I get those bonus attacks....

My DM was intrigued because he had never seen it...amazed the other players when I could suddenly heal from far away using my familiar....

At one point I wanted to create a lowly drow warlock who became a cleric of Hanali (insert long boring background story, nothing annoying), but I opted instead for a vain Rogue/Warlock instead. ahh, the combinations imaginable.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I'm looking forward to it!

It especially fits his background as an Uthgardt tribe Member who left his tribe and became a scout for a mercenary company.
Nice! I have a BM ranger from a 4e game that I thought about giving 3 levels of totem barbarian to represent his mystical bond with his wolf, and the primal spirits’ blessings on them, but ended up keeping it simple by staying single classed.

If I understand that chart right, that's out of all multiclass characters. So the fact that there are FAR more fighters and rogues than warlocks and bards overall, would cause those to rise up quite a bit.

Also, honestly, I really like bards and a I really like warlocks, but thematically, that's a combo that has never occurred to me. Mechanically, it makes sense, and I'm sure there are plenty of interesting concepts. But even as someone who plays those two classes, it wouldn't occur to me to combine them conceptually at all. I was actually surprised that it was that high! :) But it just goes to show that the game is rich enough for people to have very different experiences of them.

Fair enough! All great points.

Remove ads

Remove ads