Magic Weapons

Misfit Toy

First Post
This may be a silly question, but I am looking for a magical type weapon that would emit light when in the presents of specific monsters, similar in nature to how some of the swords work in The Lord of the Rings. I know that weapons have the ability to emit light didn't know if there was a way to specify when and how they emitted it. Any advice is welcome.

the Jester

Legend
Sounds like a minor item quirk to me. Are you the DM or a player?

If you're the DM, just make such an item. It really is that simple.

If you're a player in a game with pc driven magic item creation (e.g. 3e D&D), then talk to your DM about how to build such an item.

If you're a player in a game without significant pc driven magic item creation (e.g. 1e or 5e D&D), then talk to your DM about questing for such an item.

I think in 3.5 it would be a combination of a Light spell, Contingency and Permanency. But if you're the DM, just add that quirk to the item.

I am a new DM, the campaign is a homebrew Pathfinder.

Well, if you are the DM, that makes it easy.

Just take the stats of a weapon of your choice from the basic weapon list. I would at least make it +1 (or more, depending on the level of the players), and have it emit faint light. You can decide if the light is equal to the light of a torch (allowing the players to use it as a source of light), or just a faint glow. I would also rule that when glowing, the weapon gives a penalty on Hide checks by the person carrying it. If analyzed, the weapon is imbued with low level (0) and high level (6) evocation magic.

Last edited:

AnimeSniper

Explorer
@Misfit Toy I know for one 3.5e D&D campaign that while traveling through a former Dwarven Forge hill/valley the group came across not only the tomes/scrolls on how to make weapons that held the runic spellwork along each weapon and then empowered by a spellcaster to activate the runes and once that was done each the applied would emit light when near the inscribed enemy and when used upon said enemy deal and additional +dice/points to the enemy similar to the favored enemy of the Ranger I think.

We even found parts to make a Caster like weapon seen in Outlaw Star anime and each shell would unleash a spell when fired, i.e. fireball, lightning bolt of various level equal to the magic users level when they were made.

Last edited:

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The weapon's blade will emit light like a candle if _____ is within X distance. A special scabbard can be made (for maybe 5GP) to keep the light hidden. The weapon gains a +1 bonus.
Put this on a shortsword and get Sting. (Don't give it to the Assassin because it will mess up his shtick.)
Maybe the PCs will want this weapon to grow in power as they do? The "enemy radar" can extend further and the light can get brighter as the enemy closes in. At higher levels, the weapon could even put out Daylight when in melee combat with _____ . The color may change based on how many _____ it detects.

Lylandra

Adventurer
That sounds quite interesting indeed! Now I guess (but that's just my gut feeling) that you could make this add simply a flat cost to the weapon, like with some armor enchants in Pathfinder.

Mainly because while the effect can be powerful, it doesn't add much to the weapon's raw combat power and maybe shouldn't take away those precious +x enchant values.

Misfit Toy

First Post
@Misfit Toy I know for one 3.5e D&D campaign that while traveling through a former Dwarven Forge hill/valley the group came across not only the tomes/scrolls on how to make weapons that held the runic spellwork along each weapon and then empowered by a spellcaster to activate the runes and once that was done each the applied would emit light when near the inscribed enemy and when used upon said enemy deal and additional +dice/points to the enemy similar to the favored enemy of the Ranger I think.

I like the idea of something similar to favored enemy. I was toying with having it take effect when the first used against an enemy.

Misfit Toy

First Post
The weapon's blade will emit light like a candle if _____ is within X distance. A special scabbard can be made (for maybe 5GP) to keep the light hidden. The weapon gains a +1 bonus.
Put this on a shortsword and get Sting. (Don't give it to the Assassin because it will mess up his shtick.)
Maybe the PCs will want this weapon to grow in power as they do? The "enemy radar" can extend further and the light can get brighter as the enemy closes in. At higher levels, the weapon could even put out Daylight when in melee combat with _____ . The color may change based on how many _____ it detects.

I like that idea.

Remove ads