[Adventure] The Race of the Five Horns (DM: stonegod, Judge: THB)

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
OOC: All fire in sqs. adjacent to Bellegon weakened. Just need to see if Rikka ([MENTION=48394]pathfinderq1[/MENTION]) survives... (she should, but I can't predict what PCs do :))

pathfinderq1

First Post
With the lord out of immediate danger, Rikka took one last look around for anyone who might be injured- but that was a moment too long, as the flames surged outward. Almost reflexively, she shifted into her leopard form and rushed away from the flames, across the room and out of the pavilion. Only then did she pause to gather her wits...

[sblock= OOC]
>Fire attack vs. REF 18= 21 (hit, for 9 damage); rolls Roll Lookup

>Minor: Wild Shape to Beast form.
>Move: to K 14 and off map (out of pavilion)
>Standard: second wind
[/sblock]

stonegod

Assassination! End of Combat

As the group successfully pulls back from the flames, the remaining overhangs collapse. Groups of fire guards—warforged with sand buckets, and a magewright with and endless wand of frost—finally begin pooling in, called only moments ago. For though the fight seemed endless, less than two minutes had passed in the madness.

Detained by the Watch, the group is asked perfunctory questions of them while a cadre of Jorasco healers tend to the wounded, mostly Lord ir'Haran. As the group waits for the Watch to be done with them, the see the sergeant in charge approached by a nondescript man in dark clothes. The man has a few words with the Watchman, the latter not looking too happy about it, and then approaches the group.

Champions. I have been led to believe that you are the ones responsible for fending off Lance Corporal ir'Haran's would be assassins at great personal risk to yourself. I would like you to know that the Crown thanks you; it is always grateful to those that would be in its service, even when they have no formal allegiances with us. He takes a sit on a commandeered chair. If I may, could you describe who these assassins were? We have been unable to attain anything from the other witnesses that would be helpful.

pathfinderq1

First Post
Even in her elven form, Rikka's body language was more feline than humanoid- she stood with a wary tension, but moved with a disturbing grace, seeming ready to launch into motion without notice. As she spoke, her voice was low and rough- and she seemed distracted, as if she were constantly surveying the area around her rather than focusing on the man who had questioned them.

"At least one of them was actually on the Cyran team, and several wer dressed in the Aereni costumes that the waiters were wearing, but they were led by a hook-nosed woman with a metal dog-construct..." She continued for a few moments unless interrupted, describing each of the attackers in precise details of appearance, dress, and movement. It was obvious just how keen her senses were, that she noted those details even in the swirling chaos of combat.

On Puget Sound

First Post
I heard two names, Twinrose and ir' Salara. I don't know if both names belong to the same person. The assassins entered in the guise of entertainers; whoever arranged for the music might be worth talking to. I don't think any of the assailants got away; they seemed determined to make their kill or die trying.

They were Cyrans, at least most of them were. They accused the lord ir'Haran of war crimes and mass murder. The Twinrose woman was very brave and determined; I think that she planned to die today. That is all that I can tell you.

"Twinrose ir'Salara, I believe she was, foolish and fanatical. She died without reason. Utterly failed. Futile. Useless. Darkness will welcome her."

he perks up a bit after that last part
"There was a mage, elf of strong will, but I never heard his name."

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
"Can you not just have someone speak with the dead? I've heard from my order that there are those that can do such a thing?" Vok asks.

stonegod

The man does not make any physical notes, but he does seem to catch everything. Twinrose, you say? A known alias for Shara ir'Salara, niece of Baldric ir’Salara, killed during the Assault on Aruldusk. Apparently she blamed the Lance Corporal. As for speaking with the dead... such magic is less foolproof than one would hope, especially against those with great enmity. Worry not, however; we will use all resources at our disposal to ensure this is the end of this matter, though I believe it is finished.

The unnamed man stands, then clasps hands with any who will do so. He calls over one of the Jorasco healers. See to it these receive top care. They are heroes of Breland, after all. If no one has any other questions for the man, he leaves.

Tended by the healers, the group recovers quickly. They do not see the Lord again, though they are told he is recuperating. ir'Haran functionaries provide the details on how to receive the special training they one as a result of their winnings, and at least one reporter from the Inquisitive attempts to get their story.

Later in the day, as the group lounges in the Jorasco healhall, Rikka turns to notice a small package. She did not notice anyone deliver it, but there it was. Inside was a small card, written in an unknown hand: Your services are recognized. Use these with our good will. There is no signature, only the sigil of a black lamp on the corner. Inside our five small tokens shaped in the sign of the Breland bear.

[You each gain (via the token) the Boon of Breland. It is a one use item that can be used to
- Gain 1 success on a skill challenge in Breland. Usually a social challenge, and must be one where the Crown's influence would sway the target.
- Minor diplomatic immunity: For non-felonies, the PC may be forgiven one transgression.
- The favor of Breland may also award 680gp.]
[sblock=History DC 15]The sigil on the card is the sign of the King's Dark Lanterns, the intelligence agency of Breland. They have significant contacts throughout the land. [sblock=History DC 21]It is possible, given what you have put together, that Lord ir'Haran might have been an agent with the Dark Laterns, and that the Assault of Aruldusk was a cover for one of their operations.[/sblock][/sblock]

stonegod

[sblock=OOC]I'll give some time for folks to wrap up, react to the posts above, etc. Likely put up the final posts Thurs eve/Friday.[/sblock]

History (1d20+5=24)
Streetwise (1d20+6=24)

As he sees the content of the package, Bellegon slaps himself on the forehead.
"Dark Lanterns! I should've known when I saw him hooded. I'll be right back!"
he spends some time looking for a contact, quickest way being Brelland offices, some silvertongue and few greased palms. Soon he is confronted in an alley.

"You shouldn't look for us, it can be dangerous. We know of you and this is just a warning."

"You may have use for me, as I can benefit from you. There are places I can go where human cannot. And I have information about the goblinoid army amassing. And I need access to information you may have. Bring me to the one who was at the assassination attempt today." he shows the boon token.

After everything is hammered out and he got as much as he thought he would from the connection, Bellegon returns to Jorasco temple.
[sblock=stonegod] Bellegon wants all the help he can get for his people and access to spy network (even if it comes with strings attached) can be valuable. This is an attempt to write IC a hook for the future :)
[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases