New SCAG Info: Someone Got The Book

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide hits preferred stores tomorrow (and everywhere else in a couple of weeks). However, some stores have jumped the gun - which only benefits us, as folks on social media are telling us all about it! Below is a compilation of that information. I'm sure come tomorrow, the amount of information on the book will increase dramatically.

947330.jpg

[h=4]Original Post[/h]
Thread is here, Gnunn and others are answering questions about it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/dndnext/comments/3pot39/call_your_local_stores_scag/

The info:

I'am trying to compile the answers here by those who have new information. The answers do not represent me in anyway I'am just passing on the information.

Q: Name all the subclasses (submitted by me)

A:

Not really interested in spoiling all of the specifics, but here's what I noticed to be new at first glance:
Races:
Gray Dwaves (Duergar)
Ghostwise Halflings
Deep Gnomes (Svirfneblin) -- also provides a new feat "Svirfneblin Magic" (same as EE)
Half-Elf Variants
Tiefling Variants

Classes (only new class options, not new classes):
Barbarian - Path of the Battlerager, new Totem Spirits
Bard - New musical instruments
Cleric - Arcana Domain
Fighter - Purple Dragon Knight
Monk - Way of the Long Death, Way of the Sun Soul
Paladin - Oath of the Crown
Ranger - Several paragraphs that amount to nothing
Rogue - Mastermind Swashbuckler
Sorcerer - Storm Sorcery
Warlock - The Undying
Wizard - Bladesinging

New cantrips for sorcerers, warlocks, and wizards
Booming blade, green-flame blade, lightning lure, sword burst.

Backgrounds:
City Watch
Clan Crafter
Cloistered Scholar
Courtier
Faction Agent
Far Traveler
Inheritor
Knight of the Order
Mercenary Veteran
Urban Bounty Hunter
Uthgardt Tribe Member
Waterdhavian Noble
This only covers about 50 pages of the almost 160 page book. There's a TON of info on the Sword Coast itself. I'm sure DMs who already have the book are salivating at the moment.

Q: No Bard, Ranger or Druid subclasses?

A:
There are new bard colleges. I only listed non-flavor changes (in my opinion at least each one is paired with an existing class option so nothing new in terms of mechanics.

-Q2: Wait WHAT? So the Bard Colleges AND Druid Circles don't list fully new subclasses that offer new mechanics to that class? And no "spell-less" Ranger variant or anything?

-A2:
Correct on all accounts.

Q: Monk Subclasses specifics

A:
Sun Soul gives the monk methods of dealing radiant damage. Burning hands makes an appearance as well.It seems almost too obvious, but all of the Long Death abilities are triggered by death in some way - either yours or an enemy.

Q: Warlock the Undying

A:
Hard to explain. It's Lich-like, but not undead it seems.

Q: Paladin Oath of the Crown

A:
The new paladin oath is a straight up tank. They seem to have added a ton more detail for the paladin codes. Too much to go into here.

Q: Fighter Purple Dragon Knight

A:Party buffs/heals. Would be a good party leader out of combat as well.

Q:
How do the Half elf and tiefling variants work?

A:
Tiefling variants are pretty different. I'm not next to my book currently, but I believe there were three options. Half elf replaced the half elf skill dealy with a selection from the elf half. Like Drow magic replacing the skill selection for example.

Q: What does it say about Aasimar?

A: It basically just says, "See the DMG.

(I guess that makes Eldarin valid as well)

Edit 1: Did some cleaning, added cantrips and explanation that is not me giving the answers.

Prism

Explorer
[MENTION=9501]Prism[/MENTION]: Is there a timeline (or Roll of Years) of any kind in the book?

You get a reasonable amount of detail about the various ages such as The Crown Wars and Netheril. It then breaks down the period of the Sundering from 1482 (Murder in Balders Gate) through to 1489 when the Gods withdraw the power from most of their Chosen. This is the last date seemingly written in the past tense so it kind of suggests 1490+ as a place to start.

The source in this section relates to the Sundering novels and the playtest era adventures. No mention of any of the story lines since the 5e release, which brings us no closer to when these events supposedly happened.

Irennan

Explorer
You get a reasonable amount of detail about the various ages such as The Crown Wars and Netheril. It then breaks down the period of the Sundering from 1482 (Murder in Balders Gate) through to 1489 when the Gods withdraw the power from most of their Chosen. This is the last date seemingly written in the past tense so it kind of suggests 1490+ as a place to start.

So all the various chosen have drastically been reduced in number. Does it give examples of any chosen who kept their power? Does it specifically talk about which gods are back, or is it a ''all the gods in the lists are back''?

Prism

Explorer
Someone described it as being like rage. Can someone that has the book elaborate on the mechanic? Does it specify that you must be in light armor? I'm curious about multiclassing options.

I suppose its a bit like rage - maybe a stance would be a better word (although it doesn't call it that)

You can wear light armour but don't have to. No shields or using a weapon in two hands. The tradition does give you proficiency in light armour. It has limited uses per rest and basically improves your AC, speed, acrobatics and concentration rolls. Later on you can use your spell slots to absorb damage and you do more damage with your own weapon attacks.

It might multiclass quite well with eldritch knight - not sure yet - but you would lose a lot of nice high level spells

gyor

Legend
Get rid of your review. You have not looked at the book. Also seriously one minor god was not mentioned, why is that a deal breaker?

Do you think at this point that after all the spoilers and even pics from the reddit and forums that I have no idea of what's in it? There is no shocking revelation in the book that will radically change the things I don't like about it.

But I'm not unreasonable, I'll withdrew it, but when I see it and if I still don't like it, its going back up with greater details.

Unless it miracliously rewrites itself and grows hundreds of pages, I remain doubtful of that.

And Sharess has always been my favourite FR deity, I love her back story which is complex and rich, I love her fun, yet compassionate philosphy, I love cats they so cute and cuddly, even then they ambush your ankles in the middle of the night, I love all her aspects Sharess, Zandilar, Bast, Felidae, and her titles like Succubus of sensation, I love how she explored the dark side of herself and came back from that. I love that she had all these adventures in various forms over millenia.

So yes, that alone is worth the lost of a single star, maybe two.

Prism

Explorer
So all the various chosen have drastically been reduced in number. Does it give examples of any chosen who kept their power? Does it specifically talk about which gods are back, or is it a ''all the gods in the lists are back''?

In the timeline section it just says the Gods stop interfering through their chosen. Its referring to the chosen that appeared during the Sundering. So far I haven't seen any mention of the original type of chosen such as Elminster is. There is a small section explaining that some gods withdraw, other die and others go dormant. Mortals don't know anything except their prayers go unanswered (and therefore I doubt we will find out). The individual god descriptions have no mention of coming back. For example if you read the section on Mystra you would not know she had been gone for nearly 100 years.

Its probably better that way as it reads much better for people new to the realms or those that don't care so much about the storylines. They want to know what does it mean for their character now, not what's been happening with their god recently

Irennan

Explorer
In the timeline section it just says the Gods stop interfering through their chosen. Its referring to the chosen that appeared during the Sundering. So far I haven't seen any mention of the original type of chosen such as Elminster is. There is a small section explaining that some gods withdraw, other die and others go dormant. Mortals don't know anything except their prayers go unanswered (and therefore I doubt we will find out). The individual god descriptions have no mention of coming back. For example if you read the section on Mystra you would not know she had been gone for nearly 100 years.

Its probably better that way as it reads much better for people new to the realms or those that don't care so much about the storylines. They want to know what does it mean for their character now, not what's been happening with their god recently

So, it says that all the listed gods are currently active/alive and that's it, I guess?

I know I'm in the minority, but I'm actually GLAD they don't have a new subclass for each class. It potentially shows that wotc isn't looking to force an idea for the sake of symmetry but rather stuck with what was flavorful and inspired for the concept of the book.

In my opinion , designing subclasses purely for the purpose of 'filling out symmetry of all classes getting included" is just begging for half assed things that aren't really inspired by concept but are shoe horned in. I mean one doesn't mean th other will happen but it's definitely knocking on the door in that direction if it did.

I get that... in theory. This early in the edition though there are still a lot of concepts within the base classes that don't have full support. Obviously, you don't want to release anything "half assed," but I think partisans of the classes that are overlooked on each go around will feel that what they do get "three new musical instruments for your bard!" will feel that the space devoted to that is "half assed" because they don't have a crunchy subclass to go along with it.

As I said in the deleted thread, Bards in particular are hard to design for with only three subclass levels. And the Rangers may have not gotten anything because the class is being eyed for a redesign. I think that is all the better reason to throw more options out there as long as it doesn't result in power creep.

If a Ranger lover skips your book because you devote 3/4s of a page to "how to play this class" material and flavor options when the space could have been used for a simple but flavorful subclass, I think they probably should opt for a subclass that incorporates some of that flavor. If the game had 50 classes in the core, yeah, designing options for all of them wouldn't really be desirable, but 12 is a small enough number that I don't think that you are going to hit a lot of subclasses that are just subclasses for subclass sake, at least at this point.

I did sigh a bit of relief to discover that the Purple Dragon Warrior (or whatever awkwardly Phallic name that they used) was a subclass and not a prestige class. That way lies madness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prism

Explorer
So, it says that all the listed gods are currently active/alive and that's it, I guess?

Sort of - it just says these are the gods. No mention of if they have ever been dead or not active. Several entries do mention the gods origin if important, so Cyric is listed as once being mortal.

Remove ads

Remove ads