D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019: "Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm...

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

Barantor

Explorer
I'm a Greyhawk fan, so I hope they jump back into many of the devs old favorite. There is still a good fanbase that loves the setting and it would be interesting to see it brought into a more unified whole, hopefully with Iuz still dominating a whole area.

ad_hoc

(they/them)
The Spelljammer logo showed up in a sketch that was teased a few months ago right?

This must have something to do with Spelljammer. They aren't going to single out one setting to say they aren't doing it.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The Spelljammer logo showed up in a sketch that was teased a few months ago right?

This must have something to do with Spelljammer. They aren't going to single out one setting to say they aren't doing it.

That was Stewart trolling folks. They have singled out one setting to say they aren't doing it, he didn't split hairs on the question.

epithet

Explorer
I know I will get sooooo much hate for this, but I would love a book that covers the rest of the Forgotten Realms Setting, the SCAG just wasn't big enough.

The whole FR setting is open for updates and conversion on the DMs Guild store, isn't it? I would guess that if there was a significant demand for 5e FR content that someone would be publishing it there, though not necessarily WotC.

The two settings I really want to see revisited are Dark Sun and Greyhawk. The funny thing is that I'm not particularly interested in a hardcover for Greyhawk, and when they eventually get around to it I'll very likely ignore a fair bit of it. What I really want is for those settings to be available for use on the DMs Guild, so that the people who genuinely love them can finally publish their various projects.

gyor

Legend
I wouldn't mind seeing Kamagawa / Oriental adventures

Kamagawa has a Rabiah Scale of 8 or 9, so it's not coming back any time soon. If we get an Oriental adventures Setting it will be Kara Tur, but they might borrow some ideas and elements from Kamagawa, like monsters or races.

gyor

Legend
No hate here, but it won't happen anytime soon. The Realms is getting deep dives through Adventure/Gazeeter combos, way more than other settings in aggregate. Given the new comic coming out in Spring, I'm thinking the next AP will likely be seafaring along the Sword Coast.

As to the new setting, I think we can safely eliminate any setting that is under the "search settings" section of the DMsGuild. The setting not in that "other bucket" are the ones I listed above, along with Forgotten Realms and an all-inclusive "Planeshift" covering all of the M;TG PDFs. The D&D Setting listed are also what WotC asked us about in the marketing survey.

The prospective Paramount movie project is set for 2021, and we know pretty much nothing about it, including setting.

Planescape and Dragonlance are open possibilities, but given the Unearthed Arcana activity for this year (one third, minimum, of this year has gone to Eberron crunch), and Mearls told us they were looking to reprint the Eberron crunch in a hardcover, I'm laying my wager on Eberron getting a GGtR style book.

I think it would only happen if they were meaningfully planning on moving away from the Forgotten Realms for a extended period of time. Drop a FRCG into peoples hands and stop doing APs for FR for the most part and start doing them for other settings.

Otherwise I agree, I think it will be another Setting if they intend to say in FR.

Remove ads

Remove ads