Power Critical?

Henry@home

First Post
DarkJester said:
What is this? where does it come from? Thanks

From Masters of the Wild. The basic upshot is that it turns one hit automatically into a threat, but for more than this, I can only recommend you purchase the book.

Archer

First Post
Gee, the only thing you didn't mention about the feat was that you can only use it one time per day, BAB +12, imp crit

FullTinCan

First Post
I am not a lawyer, but here is some stuff that may be helpful...

Game mechanics (i.e. Feats) are not copyright protected, per se. The language used to describe a feat could be copyright protected, although if it is "purely mechanical" (i.e. you gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC) even that is probably not copyright protected. Take a look at this thread at the Gamingreport.

I would still recommend being careful, although posting information about a single feat is probably safe under the fair-use clauses of copyright and the fact that it is a mechanic of a game. Here is another helpful site that may shed some light on the murkier side of game copyright.

Last edited:

gamecat

Explorer
FullTinCan said:
I am not a lawyer, but here is some stuff that may be helpful...

Game mechanics (i.e. Feats) are not copyright protected, per se. The language used to describe a feat could be copyright protected, although if it is "purely mechanical" (i.e. you gain a +1 dodge bonus to AC)...

AGGGGGHHH!!! I... HATE... MAGES... OF... THE... BEACH...!

IceBear

Explorer
It's not just WotC who enforce copyright laws you know. Just because *you* would like for us to be able to post anything and everything about 3E it doesn't mean that it's right. I'd rather have limited access to some stuff on the net and have a healthy WotC so they can keep making stuff for us, as opposed to having access to everything and having WotC vanish

I think WotC has been pretty good about copyright materials - just look at the SRD, all the web content they've put up for us to download on old and existing products, etc.

IceBear

FullTinCan

First Post
Define right? The concepts of a game are non-copyrightable. The narrative used to describe a game is usually copyrightable, due to how it is worded and the addition of non-mechanical language.

Ideas cannot be copyrighted. The explanation of an idea can be copyrighted.

Is it wrong to reprint the mechanic aspect of a feat? A Feat is a game mechanic (both the platonic form called Feat, and the actual Power Critical feat). It is part of the rule-set.

I personally would rather see people not repost this information, especially stuff that is specifically non-OGC, because the gaming industry provides invovation to gaming community. By short-changing the industry, we are short-changing ourselves. However, this is a personal belief and not founded on legal issues. I want to see game companies make money so they produce more innovative gaming stuff.

IceBear

Explorer
FullTinCan said:
Define right? The concepts of a game are non-copyrightable. The narrative used to describe a game is usually copyrightable, due to how it is worded and the addition of non-mechanical language.

Ideas cannot be copyrighted. The explanation of an idea can be copyrighted.

Is it wrong to reprint the mechanic aspect of a feat? A Feat is a game mechanic (both the platonic form called Feat, and the actual Power Critical feat). It is part of the rule-set.

I personally would rather see people not repost this information, especially stuff that is specifically non-OGC, because the gaming industry provides invovation to gaming community. By short-changing the industry, we are short-changing ourselves. However, this is a personal belief and not founded on legal issues. I want to see game companies make money so they produce more innovative gaming stuff.

I agree with you, and that's what I was trying to say.

IceBear

Remove ads