Thirteenth Doctor - First Season - Thoughts? (SPOILERS WELCOME)

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
theres always this
[video=youtube;JixgZeQyyY0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JixgZeQyyY0[/video]

and I'm so hoping that we get an episode called The Chase where Bradley has to face off against a mastermind known as the Beast in order to save the other companions

(oh and the Rose character wasnt that different from Billie Pipers persona - she too was a bit of a Chav from down the fish shop)

Richards

Legend
I now have this image of Alex Trebek showing up in Star Trek: Discovery, or something like that.

He did show up in an episode of The X-Files, but that was actually a plot point: the shadowy government figures were implanting a memory of Alex Trebek as one of the Men in Black, so anyone remembering the incident and trying to tell anyone about it would be dismissed as a lunatic. (The other "memory-implanted" Man in Black was Jesse Ventura.)

Johnathan

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Oh. Yeah, I can see that could be a bit distracting.

I now have this image of Alex Trebek showing up in Star Trek: Discovery, or something like that.

Well if he did, I’m sure I wouldn’t notice. Never heard of him.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well if he did, I’m sure I wouldn’t notice. Never heard of him.

Yep. Just like I've never heard of this dude. Quiz shows don't generally span oceans.

Alex Trebek is the host of "Jeopardy!" a quiz show famous on this side of the pond, so I'm thinking it is pretty analogous.

MarkB

Legend
Yep. Just like I've never heard of this dude. Quiz shows don't generally span oceans.

Alex Trebek is the host of "Jeopardy!" a quiz show famous on this side of the pond, so I'm thinking it is pretty analogous.

I didn't recognise him either - just haven't watched enough daytime TV, I guess.

I did struggle a bit at first with Catherine Tate as Donna Noble, as I'd been completely unimpressed by the few comedy show performances I'd seen from her, but I ended up really liking her as a companion, and being genuinely saddened by the unhappy conclusion to her story.

Mallus

Legend
He did show up in an episode of The X-Files, but that was actually a plot point: the shadowy government figures were implanting a memory of Alex Trebek as one of the Men in Black, so anyone remembering the incident and trying to tell anyone about it would be dismissed as a lunatic. (The other "memory-implanted" Man in Black was Jesse Ventura.)
"I said he looked like Alex Trebek".

"Jose Chung's From Outer Space" is one of the finest hours of television ever produced. Jodie Whittaker's first outing as The Doctor isn't quite as good, but very good nonetheless.

I'll keep this short: the cast is immediately likable and Whittaker is fantastic, esp. while blowtorching up a new sonic. But the best part was how in the span of an hour they staked out a new tone and reduced scope for the post-Moffat era. The episode was paced and shot more like a thriller or a procedural and it featured a Doctor was wasn't nigh-omniscient - like it was great she didn't immediately rattle off facts about Tim Staw's species, she seemed legitimately not to know something.

edit: and while the diversity of the cast is getting a lot of attention, what stood out for me was Chibnall's interest in class. I like media to have a point of view. I hope this is an ongoing feature during his run.

Last edited:

Janx

Hero

and to catch up our non-US friends, here's a music video to recap the whole concept of Jeopardy :)

[video=youtube;BvUZijEuNDQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUZijEuNDQ[/video]

Last edited:

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
and to catch up our non-US friends, here's a music video to recap the whole concept of Jeopardy :)

[video=youtube;BvUZijEuNDQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvUZijEuNDQ[/video]

Alfred Yankovic? Alfred? He's Weird Alfred? Somehow I never knew that that was where Al came from.

Remove ads