Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Centaurs and Minotaurs

As a Dragonlance junkie, it’s interesting to see how they’ve pulled back the damage on the minotaur to make it more workable as a player race (I imagine that working with the Volo races gave them a better baseline). The Hybrid Nature mechanic is interesting here, especially given the number of Fey Ancestry races that we’ve seen so far (who aren’t both Humanoid and Fey), as well as the...

As a Dragonlance junkie, it’s interesting to see how they’ve pulled back the damage on the minotaur to make it more workable as a player race (I imagine that working with the Volo races gave them a better baseline). The Hybrid Nature mechanic is interesting here, especially given the number of Fey Ancestry races that we’ve seen so far (who aren’t both Humanoid and Fey), as well as the planar-descended races.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I never really thought about how badly we needed a size between Medium and Large before. Like how Small is a size between medium and Tiny. The aside from tactical space, the problem with Large characters is that they get to use Large weapons, which are implied to do more damage than Medium-sized weapons.

As a solution to this, maybe they could work something out by reverse engineering the Bugbear's Large Limbs.

Small Arms: Your arms are smaller than normal for a creature of your size, this means you wield and manipulate objects designed for creatures that are a size smaller than you.

Then there would still be the problem of that area of control, but I don't see how to fix that without introducing facing into 5e, which would likely cause more problems than it would fix.

Dire Bare

Legend
It shows how determined they are not to allow large PCs, given that is states centur PCs are medium, even though they are normally large (as are horses).

The medium Centaur doesn't suit me. Make it a Bariaur if it is that size. A centaur should be as large as a horse.

So, PC centaurs are part human, part miniature horse?

Character size is always a bit of a weird thing as it's less about the mass of the creature as much as it's about the space they occupy or more accurately the space they control. A Centar having a Human upper torso and human size weapons controlling the same space as a human makes sense to me.

But obviously the lower body is the size of a horse which is large.

The "Equine Build" racial feature is what tries to balance the largeness of the horse with the mediumness of the human. There's good game-balance reasons to keep PCs to medium-size, but that creates narrative problems for players who want to play giants (goliath, firbolg) and centaurs. I'm not sure if a more elegant solution exists, but I am happy with my giant PCs having Powerful Build and my centaurs having Equine Build, but remaining medium.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
The "Equine Build" racial feature is what tries to balance the largeness of the horse with the mediumness of the human. There's good game-balance reasons to keep PCs to medium-size, but that creates narrative problems for players who want to play giants (goliath, firbolg) and centaurs. I'm not sure if a more elegant solution exists, but I am happy with my giant PCs having Powerful Build and my centaurs having Equine Build, but remaining medium.

Yup, it does seem to do a good enough job for me.

Dire Bare

Legend
1) Natural weapons that are no better than a simple weapon. Has some utility if your running into issue with hands, so you can hold a shield and a focus and still attack. Otherwise pretty much a ribbon.

Natural weapons should be no better than simple weapons. What's simpler than using what nature gave you? There is an advantage, however . . . PCs with natural weapons are always armed, they don't have to purchase weapons, and they can't be disarmed (well, easily). Making natural weapons superior to simple weapons, however, would incentive PCs to not bother with martial weapons at all, which isn't quite the flavor of D&D.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Natural weapons should be no better than simple weapons. What's simpler than using what nature gave you? There is an advantage, however . . . PCs with natural weapons are always armed, they don't have to purchase weapons, and they can't be disarmed (well, easily). Making natural weapons superior to simple weapons, however, would incentive PCs to not bother with martial weapons at all, which isn't quite the flavor of D&D.
And that's fine, but "lost all my equipment" is a rare enough situation that I still consider it a ribbon.

plisnithus8

Adventurer

If a minotaur is taken prisoner (by monsters or the city guard), first thing I'd do is have its horns cut off; otherwise its still armed.
Not so much of incentive any more.

Dausuul

Legend
It shows how determined they are not to allow large PCs, given that is states centur PCs are medium, even though they are normally large (as are horses).
Yeah, it's kind of absurd. They have now released two PC races with the ability to fly from level 1. But Large-sized? Nope, not happening.

Remove ads

Remove ads