D&D 5E So, 5e OGL

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
I'm totally digging how the SRD/OGL and DM Guild Marketplace works.

If I'm understanding correctly the SRD/OGL option is for people like Green Ronin who might want to make a 5E of Freeport, but don't get the full suite of Wizards IP. The DM Guild is more for people that want to publish D&D content, with what amounts to an official stamp of approval but they can't publish in whatever setting they want (limited to FR) but they can publish whatever content they want an reference prior Forgotten Realms content without problem. That means at some point somebody could come up with Volo's Revised Guides to the Realms as an example.

Edit: I just read the DM Guild's rules. Holy geez, Wizards just open sourced The Forgotten Realms to the whole community. If I publish Volo's Revised Guide to Waterdeep then Morrus could go ahead and use my references in his stuff if he wants. All WOTC is doing is provide high level oversight to ensure nothing is overly offensive or generally in bad taste.

Scott_Rouse

Explorer
This is really pretty great in my view.
Funny, I was about to post something to get your attention. Has enough time passed that we can get the story of how WotC wound up with the GSL?

Short story, it was a compromise.

Long story: Maybe in my memoir or over drinks at GenCon but I'm pretty sure I'm still have an NDA.

Remove ads