D&D 5E WotC's Nathan Stewart Teases New D&D Setting Book in 2019

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019: "Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm...

No real details, other than denying that it will be Spelljammer, but in the latest Spoilers & Swag episode Stewart stated straight up that another hardcover setting book is coming in 2019:

"Nathan Stewart, the senior director of Dungeons & Dragons and Avalon Hill, made the announcement on his monthly "Spoilers & Swag" Twitchcast yesterday. 'Next year for our annual releases I can confirm there will be a setting book,' he said. 'A new setting book. A book that we have not created that is for a D&D setting.'"

I'd speculate, given the Settings mentioned in the recent marketing survey and what is listed in the DMsGuild, that the likely options are from the following, given we got Magic this year and Stewart has previously said they are not working on a new setting right now:

- Dark Sun
- Dragonlance
- Eberron
- Greyhawk
- Planescape
- Ravenloft

https://comicbook.com/gaming/2018/11/03/dungeons-and-dragons-new-campaign-setting-book-2019/

I know I will get sooooo much hate for this, but I would love a book that covers the rest of the Forgotten Realms Setting, the SCAG just wasn't big enough.

I would also love to see that. In fact, I was rather disappointed how slim SCAG was. Unfortunately, I also don't expect that to happen soon (I have recently bought back the 3/3.5e Forgotten Realms books for that reason).

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I doubt it will be Eberron. That weird bit about a book they have not created would exclude it, because they technically have a book for it already, even if it is a pdf.

I wouldn't say it "excludes" anything, given that it sounds to me like he mispoke. Given that they have actively discussed doing an Eberron hardcover, and been testing Eberron, I'll leave my bet on that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I wouldn't say it "excludes" anything, given that it sounds to me like he mispoke. Given that they have actively discussed doing an Eberron hardcover, and been testing Eberron, I'll leave my bet on that.

Yeah, these aren’t legal documents to be poured over for exact semantic meaning.

dwayne

Adventurer
I would say if it is a cross over, planescape is a top contender, if they want to go differant darksun, classic greyhawk, and iconic dragonlance. Dragonlance might be contracted out as the sitting is pretty self contained from the others as is darksun too, greyhawk has a big base and would bring in all the old guard to the new system if they did it. But out of all planescape is my top choice for this one as it seems like a very good fit with all the stuff that's being released and can tie all the others together and open up possible other worlds too.

Ath-kethin

Elder Thing
Bummer. Of the old settings, just about the only one that might pique my interest would be Spelljammer.

Ah well, a penny saved and all that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Bummer. Of the old settings, just about the only one that might pique my interest would be Spelljammer.

Ah well, a penny saved and all that.

You mean the only way you'd buy the product is if it were Spelljammer? Does that mean you only ever intended to buy one more D&D book ever anyway? Even if that one was, all the others wouldn't be.

Meh. Not getting too excited.
Even if it's the spring book, it will be another two or three months before they announce. And if it's the winter book... why are they teasing it a full year away? We haven't even gotten Dungeon of the Mad Mage yet.

Likely won't be Eberron. The artificer hasn't been previewed yet, so there's no way they'd be able to get feedback for it for April or May.
Planescape seems too similar to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and the planar lore in the DMG.

Probably just that Realms update people have been asking for pretty much since the playtest.

gantzerteo

Explorer
- No Psionics = No Dark Sun

- Yes to Ravnica = No to Planescape.

- No Dragonlance cuz noobs didn't even know what Dragonlance is + Wizards never did something Dragonlance related, the last one was TSR 20+ years ago

- No Greyhawk cuz they choose FR as main setting giving no credits to Greyhawk + noobs didn't know what Greyhawk is (even the ones that played 3.5) + they published MToF w/o any link to the Flanaess and other greyhawkish stuff

- No Raveloft cuz they did CoS as a standalone Module and Barovia as a single Domain w/o any reference to a real setting with more Domains + it's a setting with poor chance of interesting expansion (for them).

- Eberron. This is my bet. DMsGuilds + AL material + WGtE are more than a clue that they will choose this setting.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Meh. Not getting too excited.
Even if it's the spring book, it will be another two or three months before they announce. And if it's the winter book... why are they teasing it a full year away? We haven't even gotten Dungeon of the Mad Mage yet.

Likely won't be Eberron. The artificer hasn't been previewed yet, so there's no way they'd be able to get feedback for it for April or May.
Planescape seems too similar to Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica and the planar lore in the DMG.

Probably just that Realms update people have been asking for pretty much since the playtest.

Q4 seems probable, given Ravnica's position. They were playtesting GGtR Ravnica material publically as late as August. If the Artificer (which they have been continuously iterating on and playtesting for nearly two years now) is released in 9 days and gets good feedback, or even mixed feedback, late November to August is more than enough time for another public iteration, if needed.

I doubt they have given 4+ months of UA for a DMsGuild product, and Crawford has said they test in UA with a year long window in terms of product planning: if they released the Artificer as a playtest in November, they are considering a product with the games 13th core Class within a year. That suggests that if the last round of Artificer was better received, we may have seen it in print already, do who knows, time will tell.

Remove ads

Remove ads