Adventures with extensive backstory

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
I"m reading one now. It's only 4 pages of backstory, but it is *dense* with names and places and history. It very much feels like I'm doing schoolwork! Especially since it's 4 page of backstory and then about 16 pages of adventure. It feels like a history book.

Reached a sentence with 4 different place names and two different character names in it. I keep re-reading it in the hope I can parse it!
That's the Twitter/Internet effect. It's a sign that you should buy more newspapers.

fjw70

Adventurer
I just skip adventure background stuff. I need to fit the adventure into my campaign so the backstory will need to be modified.

A tip for adventure writers. Use bullet points and formatting such as bolding important information. Adventures should be written like reference materials and not stories.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

You're not alone, Morrus. I stopped trying to read/remember all that "backstory" stuff sometime around mid-2e. IMNSHO, if an adventures "Background" takes more than half a page, I'll pretty much ignore it as a whole and only skim it for things that stick out. Then I take those and make my own stuff up.

I still firmly believe in the superiority of the old 1e-module creation/design/structure. Basic story base, some interesting history tid-bits, an overall "story goal" (which may simply be "To just exist for monsters to live"), and then clear, b/w maps, some random encounter charts, a new magic item or spell, and a new monster. Removable cover is also a must, obviously!

With very loose, extremely vague/undefined "backgrounds" for adventures it is a sign of good adventure design simply because it shows the writer is trusting the DM to actually be intelligent and WANT to be a DM. Anytime I get the backgrounds that you encountered I always think "Ok, DAD, I get it...you don't trust me to figure out how to run a game with a good story. Please hold my hand and yell at me if I don't do it the RIGHT way...". I'm a DM. I know how to DM. That means when a writer says "The God Aergerath", I will likely change that to "The God Beory". When the writer says "The Kings Army destroyed the orcish hoards", I may change that to "The Kings Army destroyed the hobgoblin legion". If the writers "backstory and adventure" has key-points that MUST be attributed to Aergerath or Orcs...you've effectively lessened the usefulness of the adventure; which defeats the point of buying a pre-made adventure module.

So, not to future adventure writers: There are a LOT of experienced DM's (even newly-experienced...like, a year of it) who don't need their hands held for "story stuff". Besides, as a DM I've realized a long time ago that my idea of where the story is going is almost NEVER the same idea that the Players have, and none of us are ever sure of where the story will ACTUALLY end up! ...and that is the beauty of open-ended, "sandbox" RPG play. The Players are the ones who tell the story....I, as DM, am just here to do all the set dressing and special effects! :)

^_^

Paul L. Ming

Viking Bastard

Adventurer
I generally don't much care for modern modules for this very reason, but I have much love for the early stuff. I think, though, that the later crop of 5e modules have improved some in this regard!

But I just skim that stuff for the general gist ("Blah-blah-blah, evil wizard, eat the smurfs, yadda-yadda"), so I have context for the stuff I'm gonna yoink.

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
More? How many newspapers should I buy?

I’m glad that will solve my dislike of adventure backstories. Can’t wait!

One a week should do it. If you read full articles in the economy/finance section, backstories will seem downright gripping. :|

delericho

Legend
Yeah, adventure backstory can be a pain. Especially if the adventure doesn't give any real way for the PCs to learn any of that lovingly-crafted detail.

One of the big issues does indeed seem to be that there are two markets for published adventures: in addition to the market of DMs who want to use the material, there's a (larger?) market of people who just buy them to read them. For the latter group, backstory information generally makes for a more compelling read. Unfortunately, that often comes at a cost - the adventures become harder for DMs to actually use.

(Oh, and FWIW I thought most of the names in "Lost Mine of Phandelver" were fine. They could have been better, of course, but they could have been a lot worse - at least Queen Dagnabbet didn't make an appearance. :) )

Remove ads