Opinions on Penumbra Fantasy Bestiary?

CSB046

First Post
Anyone have this book? I'm considering picking it up, but I would probably have to do it "sight unseen" from Amazon, and $44.95 is a hefty bit of change for a book you haven't seen!

I've looked at the preview creatures on the Atlas Games site and generally liked what I saw, but I haven't had much luck finding online reviews of the overall product.

So, if anyone has any particular likes or dislikes, I'd love to hear them. My personal biases tend toward low CRs, humanoid types, and creatures than can be dropped into a pretty "natural" setting. Some aberrations and undead are okay too, but extraplanar beings need not apply.

Thanks!

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
CSB046 said:
So, if anyone has any particular likes or dislikes, I'd love to hear them. My personal biases tend toward low CRs, humanoid types, and creatures than can be dropped into a pretty "natural" setting. Some aberrations and undead are okay too, but extraplanar beings need not apply.

I have it and like it a lot. I think it fits your preferences - there are a lot of low CR creatures, many fey creatures and humanoids. There are some clunker monsters, as in any monster book, but there's just so much in the PFB that you're bound to find a lot to like.

I don't have the book handy to give examples, but I'll try to do so later...

BTW, most of the art is fantastic, but there is some that is just bad. I mean, like I could have done it better, bad. But only a small fraction are like that.

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
I have it, and I also give it a thumbs up.

The price is hefty, but the format is generally well done, and there are plenty of well-designed creatures.

Dr. Harry

First Post
I have it, and I also like it a lot.

Plot hooks (and clever plot hooks) come with each creature.

In my opinion, the artwork is exceptional.

The biggest problem I have with most monster books is "what's left"? After the MM and the Tome of Horrors, new books must find something besides:
"47 new golems!"
"82 new types of undead!" (ghostly skeletons, blazing skeletons, putrid skeletons, etc.)
"732 new fiends!"
"like a goblin -- but slightly different!"

and so on.

In my opinion, the PFB does this very well. I'll try and go into more detail if I can get back online tonight.

Harry

If you truly need more monsters ( as opposed to me, owning over a dozen monster books ), I can see you getting a lot of use from The Atlas Bestiary.

Outsiders ARE the number one largest single type/subtype of beasties in the book, second being constructs, but many magical beasts, undead, and abberrations. Lots of Dragons too. Not many humanoids.

The book also has many templates and a great appendix which gives the book's listings by terrain and CR. Also tables for using the Bestiaries baddies for Summoning spells ( which you probably don't care about too much though )

All in all a very well produced book. Also has a few more familiar/mount options and a couple handfulls of new magic items and spells.

Kichwas

Half-breed, still living despite WotC racism
Dr. Harry said:
"like a goblin
Touch-spelled for the very first time?

This book was just too expensive for me.

I looked at it, looked at the number of critters, and looked at some of the competition and went for them instead.

I've no idea how good the book is, because at that price it simply wasn't worth it to find out.

Voadam

Legend
I have an author's copy of the bestiary (you can see my ghoul template and ghast prestige class on the preview).

I like the developed descriptions, adventure seeds, and the coding by encounter type (trickster, combat, magical, epic, etc.)

I belive there is a Jeff Ibach review of the book on gaming report.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases