Keep on the Shadowfell (OOC)

Zweischneid

First Post
Jemal said:
[sblock=ooc]
Charge K2, using long sword in 2 hands for the versatile +1 damage. (Also mark him)
Charge!! (1d20+9=18, 1d8+6=12) 18 AC for 12 damage.
*Also in regards to Khoros being marked: I believe when you're marked you get to know WHO marked you?[/sblock]

[sblock=Jemal]
The mark is covered. That's why Khoros unloaded on K1. ;)

I think strictly RAW, your charge is not legal. DM obviously has the final call though.

In a surprise round, you can only take a move or a standard (or a minor) action. A charge requires both move and standard action.

Since we've also got lots of surprise round actions coming up in the 'Past Tense' game, I thought it would be worthwhile information.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
[sblock=charge]
[sblock=Jemal]
The mark is covered. That's why Khoros unloaded on K1. ;)

I think strictly RAW, your charge is not legal. DM obviously has the final call though.

In a surprise round, you can only take a move or a standard (or a minor) action. A charge requires both move and standard action.

Since we've also got lots of surprise round actions coming up in the 'Past Tense' game, I thought it would be worthwhile information.
[/sblock]

Uhm... the way i read it, charging is a single standard action (i think it's even listed in the sample list of action in the combat chapter in PHB), only, you can't take other actions *after* a charge. I don't remember reading you can't move, then charge. It's balanced by the fact that you can only use basic attacks at the end of a charge. [/sblock]

Zweischneid

First Post
[sblock=charge]

Uhm... the way i read it, charging is a single standard action (i think it's even listed in the sample list of action in the combat chapter in PHB), only, you can't take other actions *after* a charge. I don't remember reading you can't move, then charge. It's balanced by the fact that you can only use basic attacks at the end of a charge. [/sblock]

[sblock=Ata]
Looking at p 287, you're probably right. It also says 'standard action' in the head line of charge. I apologize.

Still, its a contentious issue in 4e that has (in my experience) spawned some debates as 3e (I think) allowed you a full action in the surprise round if you took part.
[/sblock]

Zweischneid

First Post
He.. oh well. Guess I shouldn't have sold my 3.x stuff.

Anyways.. great DMing there drothgery. Love the collected narrative. You're useing a new excel for the maps?

drothgery

First Post
Anyways.. great DMing there drothgery. Love the collected narrative.

That's how I've always done PBP combat (though the new multiquote feature on ENWorld 2 makes putting the post together a lot easier).

You're useing a new excel for the maps?

Excel 2007 is over a year old, you know... :)
I started doing the Excel maps for a SWSE game that unfortunately fizzled out last year (entirely my fault).

Zweischneid

First Post
Well.. need to upgrade my software someday I s'pose ;)

Anyways... what would be the rules for moving on or through those rock things, if say, for example, Khoros would get the mad idea to make an orkish running charge at that fireslinging Kobold 8, moving up a straight line to 'I12' or 'H11' once that pesky swordfighter goes down (damn those things are tough!)?

Jemal

Adventurer
re: surprise round - Both 3.0 and 3.5 were 'one action during the surprise round', that hasn't changed in 4e.

Re: Charging : This HAS changed, being only a standard action now (And only allowing you to move your movement rate, instead of double it, as well as only giving a +1 attack bonus, and no ac penalty).

Although... in both 3.0 AND 3.5 there was a provision for charging during the surprise round. a 'partial charge' was allowed for:
*See the last paragraph under 'movement during a charge', pages 154-155 PHB 3.5 (reprinted in part): "If you are able to take only a standard or move action on your turn, you can still charge but are only allowed to move up to your speed (instead of up to double your speed). *
(Hmm, sounds familiar. ;) It's my guess they just took out the partial part and decided to go with this in its entirety for the 4e charge.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases