Printing maps - how to do this affordably & with minimum headache?

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
I just print the important bits of maps at 1" scale on A4 paper using my inkjet printer & glossy cardstock, which gives much better results than regular paper. For larger maps I tape a few together. I find the main thing is to print out the likely encounter areas, the rest can be lightly sketched on a reusable battlemat.

Yes. If you want to get really fancy, and plan to reuse them, get some cheap foam board from the dollar store and use spray-adhesive to glue the printed maps to the foam board. Of course that makes it a bit less convenient to store and travel with.

When I didn't have access to the large-format printer/plotter, I would print on Letter-sized paper and piece together. The big hassle was trimming the white space on the margins as my printer can't print to the very edge.

So, I started using my Silhouette paper-cutter to do all the trim work. Which got me to thinking...

I then started loading the images into the Silhouette Studio software and drawing cut-lines for various rooms or sections. This would allow me to puzzle the map together as the party traveled through it. Also, I could remove places they've been previously, so I would only have the current room and perhaps a couple of the previous rooms on the table, which allowed me to have table space. This also allowed everything to be easily storage in large envelopes, which makes storage and travel easier.

Drawing the cut-lines and going through the cutting process was a bit of work, but so much easier than doing it by hand. The bigger issue was keeping things organized so that you could pull out the right section of the map when you needed it.

A Silhouette Portrait or similarly sized Cricket brand paper-cutting machine may set you back a couple hundred dollars. But it may be more economical and convenient at the table than trying to print entire dungeons or battle areas on one large sheet.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases