The Actual Table of Contents for Xanathar's Guide to Everything

tuxedoraptor

First Post
The ONE thing that really bums me out is the lack of new sorcerer origins. Sorcs haven't seen any play in my group because they feel that the dragon bloodline is just so good even without houserules so a fire immune enemy doesn't leave them sitting there, twiddling their thumbs. I really would have liked to see the phoenix sorcerer and sea sorcerer make it in. The sea sorcerer looks very broken and earth sorcerer looks unique.

gyor

Legend
There are two new ones. How is that a "lack"?

I think a lot of us we're expecting 3-5 new options and ended up with 2.

Honestly I was shocked that none of Phoenix, Sea, or Stone made it as they seemed pretty popular, a bit Phoenix needed some fixes.

Yet Shadow which seemed the least popular Sorceror (although it was my second favourite) got in, while the big elemental three didn't.

gyor

Legend
I think it is funny that people are getting so worked up over 4 whole subclasses from another book being reprinted in this, while I see no one getting all upset of all the spells being reprinted from the FREE Elemental Evil Player's Guide.

Also, I am guessing that a lot of the people upset about the name lists are old-timers when it comes to gaming? Unfortunately for those of us that describes, 5E books are aimed just as much at new gamers as at old gamers, maybe even more. Sure, the lists may not be useful when doing things in advance, but for someone new to gaming, who has maybe never had to sit at a table before, trying to think up a name for their new character, it is very helpful to them being able to flip through a few pages and scan lists of names for one they like.

That doesn't bother me because WotC never made money on those spells, and not that investment is finally paying off.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
There are so many things people seem to be asking for in the forums around the net, and none of that is in the book. Rules on psionics, better crafting rules,

Uh, there is a section on crafting rules. What makes you think it's not better crafting rules?

perhaps a full blown Gish class, instead of the plethora of subclasses that seem to be rather controversial, most of them, just to name a few.

I don't think sub-classes are controversial. There seems to be demand for them

G

Guest 6801328

I think a lot of us we're expecting 3-5 new options and ended up with 2.

Honestly I was shocked that none of Phoenix, Sea, or Stone made it as they seemed pretty popular, a bit Phoenix needed some fixes.

Yet Shadow which seemed the least popular Sorceror (although it was my second favourite) got in, while the big elemental three didn't.

What are you using for data? Hasn't MM be saying (or at least implying) that they relied heavily on the results of the polls?

FWIW, I also liked the Phoenix a lot, and I only liked about 5-6 of the options across all classes.

gyor

Legend
Personally, I would love to see some international pricing on D&D Beyond. $50 is half of what the average family lives on where I am, and shipping from Amazon is about $16 alone. It isn't restrictive for me, but I know that not one of my players will ever buy a single book; the price is too restrictive. Until then, they will continue to pirate everything. Unless they can afford to buy the books, they'll find the content for free, anyway, and are happily looking forward the release of XGtE.

This is why WotC is foolish for not offering a cheaper PDF option.

martinlochsen

Explorer
Uh, there is a section on crafting rules. What makes you think it's not better crafting rules?

Sorry, I just missed that one. Those where just random examples drawn out of a hat.

I don't think sub-classes are controversial. There seems to be demand for them

Yeah, I didn't mean subclasses in general were controversial. I was probably a bit imprecise there. What I meant was that a lot of people seem to be unhappy with those spesific sublcasses that mixes martial and arcane concepts, the sword mage archetype. I think many of these people would be more happy with a new class that was intended for this purpose from the start, as the design space in available in the subclasses is limited. That's all.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases