Why Worldbuilding is Bad

Imaro

Legend
Well, obviously you haven't seen a *good* argument that it's bad, because you think worldbuilding is good!

But various posters have put sincere and reasoned explanations of why they think that, as a default, worldbuilding isn't helpful and can be a barnacle on the hull of RPGing. You just happen not to agree with them!

Yes but that's not the same as showing it's bad as in actively harmful to a game. That's showing you have a reason for your preference (that it's unhelpful which is not the same as "bad"). And no I don't mean the (silly??) extreme where worldbuilding is causing the GM to neglect all the other things he needs for his game because well then the game would fall apart and it'd be self evident (and also because this extreme = bad can be applied to nearly anything). But looking at the GM who does more worldbuilding than some deem necessary but is still creating whatever he needs for his coming session... how is worldbuilding in and of itself "bad" for him or her? How is it hurting for him to spend more time, if he or she has it on worldbuilding beyond what is immediately necessary?

pemerton

Legend
Buying the monster manual is of course not worldbuilding, I don't know why you keep repeating that. Choosing which monsters to use from it, and whether to use the lore given or change it for your own purposes? Yes, that is worldbuilding as I conceive it.
I am making the following assertion: using a giant rat in an AD&D game, but not having Sumatra as part of one's gameworld, is not and instance of changing lore. And it's not an instance of worldbuilding, beyond the utterly trivial (in this place there are giant rats).

Likewise, [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] dropping down an otyugh is not worldbuilding beyond the similarly trivial. In an of itself it implicates nothing about there being other monsters, or a world of aberrations, or anything else. It just means, "Here's an otyugh in a pile of *****."

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
Yes but that's not the same as showing it's bad as in actively harmful to a game. That's showing you have a reason for your preference (that it's unhelpful which is not the same as "bad"). And no I don't mean the (silly??) extreme where worldbuilding is causing the GM to neglect all the other things he needs for his game because well then the game would fall apart and it'd be self evident (and also because this extreme = bad can be applied to nearly anything). But looking at the GM who does more worldbuilding than some deem necessary but is still creating whatever he needs for his coming session... how is worldbuilding in and of itself "bad" for him or her? How is it hurting for him to spend more time, if he or she has it on worldbuilding beyond what is immediately necessary?
I don't see why "unhelpful" must mean something different from "bad". If someone says "That's a pretty bad knife" they might mean that it's unhelpful because eg blunt, or poorly shaped in the handle, or . . .

In any event, I don't think the OP, or others who sympathise with it, are asserting that worldbuilding is bad for GMs in the same way that (say) not eating healthily might be. It's an aesthetic judgement that is connected to features of the RPGing experience, and what enhances or undermines them; it's not a moral or ethical judgement.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I am making the following assertion: using a giant rat in an AD&D game, but not having Sumatra as part of one's gameworld, is not and instance of changing lore. And it's not an instance of worldbuilding, beyond the utterly trivial (in this place there are giant rats).

Sure, it's a trivial example. Are you incapable of finding a more meaningful example? Didn't you mention up thread that kobolds serving dragons would have more impact than hobgoblins hating elves? You clearly realize there are degrees.

Likewise, [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] dropping down an otyugh is not worldbuilding beyond the similarly trivial. In an of itself it implicates nothing about there being other monsters, or a world of aberrations, or anything else. It just means, "Here's an otyugh in a pile of *****."

I would disagree with this. As I mentioned, it depends on what has already been established. If my game is set in a world that is very much like Westeros let's say, then dropping an otyugh into a location certainly implies much more than if I used one in a game set on Oerth, where the presence of monsters is a given.

So no, it doesn't just mean "here's an otyugh"; what it means will vary from game to game, depending on the world that's been established.

Imaro

Legend
Well, I agree that you are right and that it will vary greatly from person to person and from gaming group to gaming group. And I don't think that worldbuilding is inherently bad. The idea from the article in the OP is that you do not need to detail an entire world before you even begin to write. Now, the article is more about fiction writing than RPGing, so right there, there's a bit of loss in relevance.

But to translate that idea to RPGing, I think it's a valid concern. How much do we need to detail ahead of time? Again, this will vary, as you mention. But in general, I think that most GMs can likely get away with less worldbuilding than they think is necessary.

Well I think one of the problems is approaching this from a "need" perspective. To play D&D all you technically need is your PC's, a room, an orc and some treasure. Not my cup of tea and I wouldn't want to play in such a barebones game... but technically that's all one needs to play D&D. So I definitely think approaching a hobby that is generally done for enjoyment from a need perspective obfuscates the issue... unless all GM's/DM's are concerned with running minimalist games... which I know at least for me isn't really a concern of mine.

I used to do a lot of worldbuilding ahead of play. I found it to be entertaining in and of itself. But I do think it tended to lock me in to what I wanted the game to be about. Not completely, but at least partially. It didn't matter if my players expressed little interest in Cool Idea A that I introduced....I would find a way to get them to engage with it. Now, very often the players wouldn't mind and they'd accept that's the way the game is going, so let's go. But what if I didn't feel the need to shift things back to what I wanted? What would have come up? Did I miss out on something spontaneous and more in line with what the players would have wanted, and which was at least as cool as Cool Idea A?

But couldn't this be alleviated through discussing the campaign with your players beforehand? Getting buy in, and understanding their interests around said buy in before creating the world? Or if using a published campaign setting running it by them first? Perhaps that's where we differ, I don't tend to design a world without being sure my players are interested enough in the world (at least at a high level) that they will want to play, explore and game in it.

I mean, when people talk about what makes a good GM, adaptability is one of the top qualities that is mentioned. So I think that's what it boils down to; worldbuilding should be a tool that can be used to help the game. It should not be the point of the game.

No argument here on this point.

These days, I still come up with ideas ahead of time. But I keep them loosely defined. I keep things flexible so that I'm not so married to my pre-written material that I can't let it go in favor of an idea that comes up spontaneously in play.

This applies to backstory, too, which I think also gets criticized in a similar way. So much of the backstory that is done by a GM won't actually come up in play. Sure, it may inform things that impact play, especially GM decisions, but it remains an unknown factor from the players' perspectives. So again, best to keep this stuff minimal. Have a basic idea of the lineage of the current king and how he rose to power. You don't need a full family tree and detailed history for this guy. I don't think having that info is inherently bad...but how else could that time have been spent? Perhaps there is a more productive way to prepare for the game than to write up this level of detail.

Well I think keeping an adventure flexible (as opposed to the world) is my preference (I tend to write adventures in an outline-esque form) but I can see the argument for either one depending on your preferences...

That said I keep seeing this strange assumption where there must be something better you can do for the game with your time besides worldbuilding or besides backstory... but honestly, at least IME, once I have the first adventure sketched out... there really isn't much for me to do before the first session (or usually even for a couple sessions once play begins) besides add to the world. FOr context we tend to alternate DM's in our group and so we have plenty of notice when a campaign is nearing it's wrap up point and another GM will be stepping in). I am curious though about what these other things I could be doing are (not being sarcastic or snarky but am honestly thinking maybe I'm missing something here)?

So I think that the criticism has some merit. I don't think it's anything like a universal truth. Nor do I think that it tends to be a huge problem in most cases because most players and GMs will likely talk about this stuff, and try to resolve any problems.

Emphasis mine... bingo, I think this is not only the key to a good campaign but also the key to relevant worldbuilding.

But I do think it's something that each GM should keep in mind. Something to be aware of when you are GMing and working on worldbuilding or writing backstory. It's a potential pitfall, and it can be avoided. But you have to know about it to avoid it.

See to me this would be a much more constructive conversation vs. trying to paint worldbuilding as "bad" or in terms of need. what are some best practices for worldbuilders (and when should you break or subvert those), what types of games benefit from worldbuilding, how do people go about building out their worlds, etc. I know at leats for me it's be more helpful than this endless argument where everyone has already dug in their heels and picked a side.

Now, when it comes to published products and the amount of space they devote to worldbuilding...in that case, I think a variety of products is best. Something like Vornheim the city guide which is entirely utilitarian in its approach is just as valid as something like the Grand History of the Realms, which is purely setting background. I don't get the desire to limit such products to one extreme or the other.

Yeah I'm not really understanding this line of reasoning either...

Imaro

Legend
I don't see why "unhelpful" must mean something different from "bad". If someone says "That's a pretty bad knife" they might mean that it's unhelpful because eg blunt, or poorly shaped in the handle, or . . .

Well when I hear "bad" I don't tend to think of something that when used/done/etc. keeps you in a neutral state instead I tend to equate it with something that actively detracts from or hinders what you are doing in a negative way. Smoking is bad for your health... but I readily admit it could just be my view

In any event, I don't think the OP, or others who sympathise with it, are asserting that worldbuilding is bad for GMs in the same way that (say) not eating healthily might be. It's an aesthetic judgement that is connected to features of the RPGing experience, and what enhances or undermines them; it's not a moral or ethical judgement.

But what is it undermining? Even if it's not used in play what does having the information jotted down actively undermine?

hawkeyefan

Legend
Well I think one of the problems is approaching this from a "need" perspective. To play D&D all you technically need is your PC's, a room, an orc and some treasure. Not my cup of tea and I wouldn't want to play in such a barebones game... but technically that's all one needs to play D&D. So I definitely think approaching a hobby that is generally done for enjoyment from a need perspective obfuscates the issue... unless all GM's/DM's are concerned with running minimalist games... which I know at least for me isn't really a concern of mine.

Sorry...I didn't mean the minimal needs of the game, but rather whatever is needed for the game you want. So, if you're going to play a game that revolves around the PCs being in a thieves' guild, then having rival guilds and similar material is probably a good idea. Who happened to be the current king's predecessor and why was he dethroned isn't likely going to be as relevant, for example. The folks who are criticizing worldbuilding are generally doing so based on the idea that the GM is determining as much info ahead of time as possible, regardless of the relevance to the actual game that is to be played.

But couldn't this be alleviated through discussing the campaign with your players beforehand? Getting buy in, and understanding their interests around said buy in before creating the world? Or if using a published campaign setting running it by them first? Perhaps that's where we differ, I don't tend to design a world without being sure my players are interested enough in the world (at least at a high level) that they will want to play, explore and game in it.

Sure, that's a big part of it. But even then, you can't possibly have complete agreement on what can or can't come up in play, so there is always the chance that a GM introduces something that wasn't explicitly discussed, but which the players don't want to interact with. Even if there's setting and genre agreed upon, individual elements may come up that don't engage the players.

Well I think keeping an adventure flexible (as opposed to the world) is my preference (I tend to write adventures in an outline-esque form) but I can see the argument for either one depending on your preferences...

That said I keep seeing this strange assumption where there must be something better you can do for the game with your time besides worldbuilding or besides backstory... but honestly, at least IME, once I have the first adventure sketched out... there really isn't much for me to do before the first session (or usually even for a couple sessions once play begins) besides add to the world. FOr context we tend to alternate DM's in our group and so we have plenty of notice when a campaign is nearing it's wrap up point and another GM will be stepping in). I am curious though about what these other things I could be doing are (not being sarcastic or snarky but am honestly thinking maybe I'm missing something here)?

That's a good question. I'm sure the answer woudl very greatly from poster to poster. I'd love to see some answers from other people.

For me, I started eschewing backstory and world material in favor of having some details handy based on where I thought my players may go. So after a session, I'd prep for the next one by considering what I thought may happen, and then have some bits ready for any of those possibility. This could consist of a map or an encounter idea, or some NPCs....it varied by session.

Emphasis mine... bingo, I think this is not only the key to a good campaign but also the key to relevant worldbuilding.

Yeah, again, I don't think that most of the concerns people have in regard to this topic are as major as they seem to think. I understand the concern, and I can see how it could cause some issues, and I've recognized how it has done so in the past for me....but none of it has ever been that big a deal, really.

See to me this would be a much more constructive conversation vs. trying to paint worldbuilding as "bad" or in terms of need. what are some best practices for worldbuilders (and when should you break or subvert those), what types of games benefit from worldbuilding, how do people go about building out their worlds, etc. I know at leats for me it's be more helpful than this endless argument where everyone has already dug in their heels and picked a side.

I agree. If you ignore a lot of the sidetaking and heel digging that goes on in these conversations (and I don't excuse myself from that, I can be guilty of it, too) then there are some bits that are worth hearing and worth discussing.

Yeah I'm not really understanding this line of reasoning either...

Well, I can understand preferring one or the other. But I don't get the need to eliminate anything that doesn't match your personal preference. Different people get inspired by different types of gaming products.

pemerton

Legend
But what is it undermining? Even if it's not used in play what does having the information jotted down actively undermine?
Well, [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION] thinks it bogs down published material in unnecessary stuff that doesn't contribute to play. I think (and he may agree - I can't remember all the posts) that it pushes towards an approach to play which emphasises pre-authored fiction as a focus of play, rather than something more spontaneous and mutual between those at the table.

I'm sure you disagree with these thoughts. But that's the nature of these sorts of discussions!

pemerton

Legend
Sure, it's a trivial example. Are you incapable of finding a more meaningful example? Didn't you mention up thread that kobolds serving dragons would have more impact than hobgoblins hating elves? You clearly realize there are degrees.

I would disagree with this. As I mentioned, it depends on what has already been established. If my game is set in a world that is very much like Westeros let's say, then dropping an otyugh into a location certainly implies much more than if I used one in a game set on Oerth, where the presence of monsters is a given.

So no, it doesn't just mean "here's an otyugh"; what it means will vary from game to game, depending on the world that's been established.
Yes. I'm not saying that it's impossible to do more worldbuilding by using an otyugh, or writing lore into a MM. I'm saying that those things need not, as such, be worldbuilding.

I'm not dkisputing that sometimes RPGers worldbuild and MM-authors worldbuild (though my threshold for the latter I think is higher than [MENTION=22779]Hussar[/MENTION]'s). I'm disputing that it is inherent in running a game and setting up a situation.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
And, as far as bringing up Phantom, there's nothing stopping a campaign being one adventure long, for one. In which case, you certainly don't need world building. But, for another, there's nothing stopping you from running an episodic campaign where each adventure is self contained. Hell, that's the way I grew up playing D&D. Go from Keep on the Borderlands to the Isle of Dread to Against the Giants. Or Cult of the Reptile God to the Slave Lords series to a couple of home brew adventures to Tomb of Horrors for a campaign capper.
"Go from Keep on the Borderlands to the Isle of Dread"...OK. Did you not do anything with the overland journey or the ship trip to get to the Isle? Hell, X1 even gives you a map of a fair chunk of the setting that later became Mystara, to show where the Isle is in relation to other stuff.

And though I may be wrong (it's been a while since I ran them) I seem to recall the A-series dungeons providing a few notes on how far apart the different sites - the Slave Pits, the Stockade, Suderham - are, and what the DM might put between them. For sure we're told there's a volcano near Suderham and that the town sits on a harbour.

Also, did your parties never have any downtime spent in town recovering and spending treasure etc.? If yes, where were these towns?

The notion that world building is required for play is pretty easily disproven.
Er...not so easily, methinks. :)

Lanefan

Remove ads