What is *worldbuilding* for?

Aenghus

Explorer
Isn't that kind of the point of having a ranger around? To minimize exploration problems? Don't get irritated at PCs engaging in good planning and preparation.

And keep in mind that most overland exploration and travel isn't in a single type of terrain. Outside of their favored terrain, rangers can get lost like anybody else.

There are two main reasons for players investing PC resources in being good at something, reasons that are almost opposites of each other. First, they may want to spend lots of time pursuing this chosen activity in-game and be seen as competent at it. Conversely, they may want to spend as little time in-game as possible on these tasks and invest resources to be sufficiently good at it that it's not a viable challenge. There are probably more complex reasons as well, but the two above are sufficiently opposed that when I see players investing a lot of PC resources in an area, I ask them why, as the answer matters a lot to creating an enjoyable game for them.

Depending on the style of a game, PC resources such as powers, spells, magic and mundane items such as maps can be seen in a naturalistic way as potentially improving the odds of success if used well, or as plot coupons that allow easy success in a particular problem, but maybe get used up doing so. A bunch of D&D spells and magic items in various editions could work either way, sometimes even in the same game.

That said, if a referee is annoyed with player choices, this is going to affect play. Sometime saying "No" early on can avoid this hassle, and allows a player to bow out early if it this means they are not going to get what they want out of the game.

Trust is never absolute, its something that needs to be constantly renewed and worked on.Talking it for granted is a potential way of losing it.

S

Sunseeker

Isn't that kind of the point of having a ranger around? To minimize exploration problems? Don't get irritated at PCs engaging in good planning and preparation.
Minimize is not the same as "negate". The Ranger class feature NEGATES the ability to get lost. I wouldn't mind if it said "You have advantage on checks to avoid getting lost." Or "You get an special bonus to checks to avoid being lost." Or "Once per long rest you can make a special check to figure out your position."

That's all GREAT to me. It creates a resource that players can utilize and need to manage. But as it is, I can't run a "lost in the woods" adventure unless it's A: magical or B: ranger-free. Class features should avoid things like "always" and "never".

And keep in mind that most overland exploration and travel isn't in a single type of terrain. Outside of their favored terrain, rangers can get lost like anybody else.
Sure, but I don't run a lot of "overland travel" type things, at least not until higher level, at which point rangers can pick up new terrains.

In this case, it's not really dungeon-like puzzle solving, though. The PCs have found the old map, which means - presumably - that when playing Outdoor Survival they don't have to make rolls for becoming lost. So it becomes a type of logistics game with wandering monster rolls to spice things up.

And if you have the map, and so know where you're going and how long it's going to take, the logistics seem not very complicated. So it's really just a wandering monster game (which affects the logistics on the margins - "Let's bring a few more mules in case a roc carries one off!").

I don't think it gives wilderness travel the same puzzle/maze-solving dynamic, with the map/scout-then-raid cycle, as the dungeon has.

As others have said, there's still plenty of scope for puzzles, getting lost, etc. In many essential ways wilderness using Survival is very much like dungeon exploration. You start off with at best a dubious map and lots of blank areas and you wander around filling in the map. Each hex you visit has something in it, or maybe its just an empty waste of time with the potential of a random encounter.

There are differences between the two environments. Wilderness is more 'high risk, high reward' by the rules. You can run into monsters of ANY level, and possibly LOTS of them, but you can also find almost any treasure, entire new dungeons, locations for strongholds, towns, etc. In the dungeon you control risk by what level you try to delve at (level 1 is easy, level 9 has terrible monsters). In the wilderness maybe you can stick near town and its a bit less risky, but by 'RAW' you could find a red dragon anywhere out there! So the game IS different, but it is still D&D. Its just that OD&D has variations on its rules for each environment. I'd say its also expected that if you create a new environment, like a new plane of existence or something, that you'd also have to create the specific rules for it. These general plug in as encounter tables, monster descriptions, etc.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
Minimize is not the same as "negate". The Ranger class feature NEGATES the ability to get lost. I wouldn't mind if it said "You have advantage on checks to avoid getting lost." Or "You get an special bonus to checks to avoid being lost." Or "Once per long rest you can make a special check to figure out your position."

That's all GREAT to me. It creates a resource that players can utilize and need to manage. But as it is, I can't run a "lost in the woods" adventure unless it's A: magical or B: ranger-free. Class features should avoid things like "always" and "never".

You can count me out on that idea. One of the problems with the 2e ranger was it was full of too many conditional abilities yet it was still stuck on the same XP track as the paladin with its more absolutist abilities. Absolute abilities are a lot easier to administer and plan for on the player side because they're reliable. But because they are absolute, you can plan for them as well.

If you can't run a "lost in the woods" adventure because the ranger has forest as his favored terrain, get them lost in a marsh, or a grassland, or badlands, or the underdark. He's going to max out at 3 terrains, surely you can coax them out to somewhere other than those three.

pemerton

Legend
In an attempt to be fair, I usually determine action plans for the monsters ahead of time to prevent me being influenced by how the game is going for the PC's. So if my action plans put the monsters in a bad way because the PC's are smart they are rewarded. I don't change the plan out from under their feet.
To me, that seems very Gygaxian. In his rules for evasion of dungeon encounters, the first step is to check what the GM's notes say.

If the PCs are defeated by the monsters, and the players come back with new PCs - or if the same PCs who escaped/were driven off return - do you stick to the same patterns of behaviour? That seems important for the players to be actually able to learn and so improve their play.

How many styles do you think there are in gaming? I'd call the Pathfinder Adventure Path style something that is not like my style though the similarities of dungeon activities it might be closer than your style.
Hard question?

In broad terms, I think there are at least four, or mabye three-and-a-half (some of this thread might be about whether that half is really a whole!).

I see Gygaxian dungeoneering/skilled play as a key style. Even if it's less common now (which I still believe it is), it's pretty foundational for D&D, and explains where so many of the rules and received methods come from.

Then there is what I think of as 2nd ed-style play, with very heavy GM control over the fiction and resolution (Gyagx said that fudging an encounter is contrary to the major precepts of the game; 2nd ed encourages it "for the good of the story"). I see the PF AP style as a descendant of this style. CoC is my favourite RPG to play in this style (with an evocative GM, and in modest doses).

Then there is the "indie"/"no myth" style I like. There are variations in this style - eg I tend towards rather strongly scene-framed approaches, whereas eg Dungeon World is a bit structurally looser than that, with the GM decision-making a bit more on the micro-/granular rather than "big picture" side of things. But for the current thread these differences can be glossed over, I think.

Then the "half-style": the one that is Gygaxian in some ways (pre-authored setting, but no fudging) but which has a scope and an approach that therefore makes player learning (through repeat attempts, use of divination resources, etc) hard; and makes the GM's role in choosing what to foreground about the setting much more important than the player's less mediated, more direct engagement with the dungeon map and the dungeon key. I think this is where you and [MENTION=23935]Nagol[/MENTION] probably fall (in terms of this thread - I'm not saying this is who you are as RPGers).

I'll go this far in this post: I think this fourth style can tend to slip into a version of the 2nd ed style.

Now just like there are variants in the "indie"-style, there are variants in that 2nd style. I'm running them together because the difference don't loom large for me (given my conception of player agency). Eg in a PF AP the players may be literally on a railroad (first encounter A, then encounter B, then C, etc). Whereas in some others that I'm putting into this category, the players can choose whether they go to A or B or C. From my point of view, though, the choice of A or B or C - if it is still a choice among things to be told by the GM - still makes the game a GM-driven one. The players just trigger which bit of his/her pre-written stuff the GM tells them.

I think the fourth style can tend to slip into the "choose A or B or C" version of the second style. Without the clear structure for learning and "winning" that is there in the dungeon style, it can turn into "trigger the GM telling me stuff".

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
What about the other option: That the character wants there to be a bribeable NPC, and the player, exploring the world from the viewpoint of the character, wants to find out whether there is one..
OK. Finding out, here, means getting the GM to tell the player something from his/her notes (either literally, or notionally - s/he makes something up as if it were in his/her notes).

I'm puzzled as to what is controversial in this description of what you have said.

you seem to couch your arguments from a position where the DM is uses secret knowledge and fiat in ways that benefit the DM's ideas over the players.
I think it's inherent. Which is not to say it's bad.

Look at MarkB's example. It's inherent in that way of handling the bribery scenario that it is the GM's idea about the presence or absence of a bribeable NPC is favoured in establishing the shared fiction. Because the way the shared fiction is established is by the GM creating it; and the player, in play, learns what it is that the GM has created.

I agree that playing it out if there's no possibility of success is pointless.

But my desired action was to find out whether there are any bribeable NPCs. If the DM immediately says "after some investigation, you find that there are no bribeable NPCs", then he hasn't denied my action - he's completed it, and left me with the information I was looking for.
What's the true action declaration here? Is it "I try to find a bribeable NPC?" (Which might be conveyed by all sorts of actual words at the table.) In that case, it has failed - it's the same as being in the study and failing to find the map.

Is it "I want to learn what the state of the fiction is vis-a-vis birbeable NPCs"? In that case the action has been completed, but I reiterate - how is it unfair or disparaging to say that the whole point of this action delcaration is to get the GM to tell the player some stuff from his/her notes?

Of course, if the DM lets me play out the enquiry and find out that it's a non-starter, but in the course of the attempt gives me the opportunity to pick up some leads and connections that grant me a better understanding of the situation and open up new options, that might be even better.
Ditto. Picking up leads and connections that grant me a better understanding, here, literally means having the GM convey to me more stuff about what's in her (actual or notional) notes.

pemerton

Legend
Some might call this a living world.
Yes, they do.

I have a calendar of significant events that are occuring in the sandbox. Those events keep on happening unless the PC's do something to turn over the cart.
In [MENTION=29398]Lanefan[/MENTION]'s example, the players' knowledge of the cart is practically zero, their knowledge that they've pushed it over much the same, and their ability to ascertain and manage the consequences in any sort of proactive manner very close to zero also.

The sequence of play he describes for us is: GM narrates situation; players declare some fairly banal actions to deal with the immediate situation; GM tells herself a whole lot of stuff about the setting and its development; GM narrates another situation for the PCs (eg the Duke's men arrest them for facilitiating the assassination attempt). Where did the players have agency there? As in, where did they get to make meaningful and significant choices about what the game would involved?

All I can see is that they pushed a button of the GM's which was, from their point of view, essentially random; and then the GM told them some more stuff that likewise, from their point of view, was essentially random.

We see the job of DM as running the NPCs in the world. You don't I realize but it doesn't leave the players out. It sets the backdrop against which the players act.

<snip>

I try to avoid railroading the PCs into the plot unless they want to dive in or are hopeless entangled in it already which usually means they are into it.
In Lanefan's example, the player action was to intervene in a fracas about which they knew nothing of its significance or its perpetrators. The PCs acted. But what did the players actually do, in the game? They triggered the GM to work out a whole lot of fiction for herself.

I'm not arguing that this is good or bad, fun or not fun. (I have my preferences; they're not secret; but they're just idiosyncracies about me.) I'm trying to actually identify what the play consists in: who makes what sorts of decisions, what sorts of "game moves", and how do these affect the content of the shared fiction?

In Lanefan's example, all the important moves seem to be made by the GM, and many of them in secret. The players don't seem to have made any meaningful move at all: they didn't have any intention to bring about all the changes that the GM actually made to the fiction in response to their action declarations for their PCs.

For my players that is verisimilitude. They want the feeling that the world is living around them and that they are living in it.
I don't want to challenge this at all.

Lylandra

Adventurer
This is equally true for me. But GM pre-authored backstory is not a prerequisite for what you describe.

Agreed. But considering a homebrew setting, I guess that building your world in advance is way more easier than deciding and making up everything on spot. Especially when you wish to minimize making mistakes, defying your own logic or to avoid the need to retcon.

pemerton

Legend
I disagree that there's no secret backstory. When that map hits the table, it resolves a number of things immediately that, prior to that, only the DM knew.
Prior to that, no one knew them to be true of the shared fiction, because the fiction wasn't established.

For you, secret notes are good for encounter prep - and the secret is revealed when that encounter happens due to player declarations
This claim is just wrong. The next passage or two will elaborate.

If the player declares they open the door to see what's behind it, and you drop down that encounter map, that's secret backstory the DM is telling to the players because they prompted him to reveal it (to phrase it like you do).
It's not secret backstory used to adjudicate an action - exactly as you say, the players are looking for the GM to narrate some more fiction.

But if the player opens the door to find the secret exit, and the GM (with no reference to action resolution mechanics) drops down a map with no exit, then that is secret backstory used to adjudicate an action.

They're different cases.

A third case, also different, is if the player fails the check - and so opens the door hoping to find (say) a study but instead finds a kitchen. Or a study infested by bookworms (so to check it out involves risking the papers I'm already carrying). Etc.

I'm absolutely certain that you're okay with an invisible enemy being in a fight as part of DM notes on the encounter, but you're not okay with a DM's notes discussing the existence of a map. I haven't yet seen you address this difference to any degree.
I set out three criteria: (i) knowability; (ii) salience; (iii) consequence/impact. The absence of the map from the study and its presence in the breadbin, in my view, tends to fail all three.

And if you misunderstood the player and the really did want there to be an invisible opponent (it's happened before in my games)?
Then the GM apologises and sets a DC.

Clarifying intention is an important part of establishing what is at issue in action declaration.

This is how the above cases I've distinguished are identified - eg if the player says "I look behind the door", you need to clarify what their intention is (what do they hope to find? are they just fishing for more narration?) You can ask. (Sometimes I do this.) Often, the play of the game has a momentum, and the situation is charged in such a way that the intention is evident. (And if the GM cocks it up and has to roll back a little bit, well, that can happen to - you do your best to recover the pacing that was lost.)

I also don't understand why you say I didn't answer your question about an invisible opponent from the 4e perspective: I posted an actual play report that deals with two such instances. So those show not just how I would, but how I did handle an action declaration that pertained to an as-yet unobserved (ie invisible) person/creature in the situation whose presence in the situation was not established by prior notes. And you even responded to what I posted, so I'm not sure what your complaint is?

In the second example, how is the duergar not secret DM knowledge in that situation?
Because it wasn't an established element in the shared fiction until introduced in response to the player's successful check.

This also illustrates the difference between prep (I came up with the idea to use duergar if extra NPC elements were needed) and authorship (that idea didn't actually generate any shared fiction until the player made a check that - because it succeeded - required me to introduce some element into the situation beneficial to his PC).

Your first example is... well, to be blunt, it rings all kinds of alarm bells for me.
Well, I wouldn't do it in a game with strangers, if that's what you mean. Among friends, it was a lot of fun and the player's response was well worth the price of admission!

It's also not strictly a detriment to the player. In 4e - played by the book as that campaign was - the extra creature generates extra XP, so the time and effort spent working out how to deal with it contributes to the progression of the game. The player hasn't lost anything in noticing the roper. (It would be different in some other systems. In those other systems I would therefore make a different GMing choice.)

And notice that it does not involve any secret backstory.

4e encounter math wasn't very forgiving

<snip>

This is one of the reasons games like D&D usually need encounter prep.
It's a tangent, but I've got no idea why you think this. I've GMed quite a bit of 4e across all three tiers. At paragon and epic (and really even upper heroic) the maths is extremely forgiving, in the sense that stepping up an encounter from (say) level +2 to level +3 will up the pressure a bit, but is in no way likely to entail a TPK.

In my experience you can chuck all sorts of stuff into a 4e encounter at those levels and the players just dig deeper into their pools of resources.

If the player asks for a map in the study and succeeds, that's a suggestion to the GM as to possible narrations -- either the DM says yes, that's exactly how it happens, or he narrates the success in a way that advances the scene.

<snip>

So, in all cases, as I understand it, all player action declarations are, at best, suggestions to the GM as to possible narrations of future states of the fiction.
Two things - in some systems it's not a suggestion to the GM as to the content of the fiction: rather, it's part of an action resolution process which, if it succceeds, bring it about that the desired state of affairs is part of the fiction.

The GM can circumvent the action resolution process by "saying 'yes'" - so either the GM accepts the player's view as to what the fiction should be, or the dice are rolled and they tell us if the player's view is to be accepted. The player is not making a mere suggestion which it is up to the GM to accept or not.

Second thing: in BW it is the player's narration that determines the character of success. The GM is permitted, at best, to embellish - and the player is entitled to veto those embellishments if the player regards them as contradicitng the successful intent.

If the player declares that their opening the door to the study (they're announcing they think it's a study, this isn't established yet) and that the door will open on the long axis of the room, but your map has the doors on the short axis... The reason this doesn't catch is because you have a blind spot
Again, what's the case? Are the players conjecturing but don't really care? Then it's simply easier to stick to one's prepared map.

Does the player declare the action because something is at stake (demons can only appear in rooms with the door opening onto the long axis, let's say) then I don't have a blind spot - its exactly the sort of thing I've been talking about (of secret backstory being used to adjudicate action resolution).

Part of running a game in what Eero Tuovinen (per blog lilnked to upthread) calls the "Standard Narrativistic Model" is having a good sense of what is at stake and what isn't. That's a big part of what will make the game work, or fizzle. In my own games, opening doors to see what's behind them is very rarely a part of play. Opening doors as part pf am action declaration to find something behind them is also quite rare.

Those details of geogranpy and architecture don't figure much as more than colour.

you've previously denied that you engaged in prep in your Marvel game, despite prepping quite a bit. Maybe that prep was fast, but it doesn't change the impact on the game -- essentially you built an encounter map of Washington, DC, and then just moved around that map.
There was no map, either actual or implicit. There was a hotel room - mentioned, but no action took place in it.

There was a bar - scene distinctions Dark Bar and Seedy Back Rooms. As it happens, these didn't come into play - the action fairly quickly moved out of the bar. War Machine left Diamondback Stuck on top of the Washington Monument - that didn't need a map. Everyone at the table knew that the Washington Monument is a tall, pointy thing. The player just declared his action ("I interrupt my romantic flight with Diamondback to check out the intruders at the Smithsonian - I'll hang her on the Washington Monument!") and we resolved it. When Bobby Drake's player wanted to freeze the pool at the base of the monument so he could go ice skating, no reference to backstory was necessary - everyone at the table knew that there is a pool there.

Likewise the use of other locations (the Capitol; the Smithsonian) in the game. At one stage, just to check that what I was narrating made sense, I checked with one of the players who has been to DC (I never have, nor looked at a map of it that I can recall).

Establishing the fictional situation by incorporating a real place that everyone knows, and which therefore gets incorproated into the GM's description of events ("You get a radio message - there are intruders in the Smithsonian") and into the players' action declarations ("I teleport to the top of the Capitol") essentially as colour, isn't anything like the GM unilaterally pre-authoring backstory and then secretly (as in, without revealing it) using it as part of the fictional positioning for adjudicating the success of declared actions.

you're okay with action declarations that involve the DM telling more story, so long as the DM didn't write any of that story down beforehand? What if the question is an augury about the study, and your encounter map and notes indicate a dangerous encounter awaits there -- how do you not refer to your notes then?
I generally won't have an encounter map and notes of that sort - ie a series of mapped out, linked locations with a key - so generally it can't come up quite in the way you describe.

But if a player uses an augury to try and get me, as GM, to tell them more stuff than in 4e I'll tell them more stuff. In BW I'll often tell them to better form their action declaration - what exactly are they hoping for? As I said, this sort of "GM narration triggering" is close to degenerate for BW. Not completely - if the scene really is incomplete in its framing, the player can trigger more - but to the extent that it's an attempt to squib, or to push the GM into making the choice instead of the player (eg "Now I know there's something dangerous there, it's easy to turn down so-and-so's request to go there") then the GM is entitled to turn the pressure back onto the player (eg if the player wants an excuse to make it easy for his/her PC to turn down the request, then s/he has to own it).

I think there's a hugely important difference: the orc is established in the scene, the map's presence in the scene is being introduced by the player. The orc is manipulated, the map is created.
In my view this statement is false, and only gets a semblance of plausibility because the ficitonal is given (metaphorical) reality.

The orc doesn't exist. There are some words about the orc. Then some more words are authored - the orc is dead, say.

The map doesn't exist; nor does the study. There are some words about the study. Then some more words are authored - the study has a map in it. In the real world, we treat the death of a thing as metaphysically different from the presence of an object in a place for reasons to do with differences in causal processes, constitutive independence, etc (the death supervenes on the thing; the object's existence doesn't supervene on the place, so it might have been elsewhere).

But none of these reasons pertain to the authoring of fiction. Adding a sentence to the orc's description: it's dead; and adding a sentence to the study's description; it contains a map; are identical causal processes. And in RPGing terms, that means they are structurally equivalent game moves.

Last edited:

Remove ads