Does Rope Trick Heal?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.0%
  • No

Votes: 72 90.0%

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
And now you aren’t addressing what I am saying :(

To use your own words, I engaged it, I just didn't engage it in the way you wanted me to. I addressed it explicitly as tangential to the point I was trying to make. I reinforced this by giving a second healing example.

I did engage what you were saying. I just didn’t engage it in the way you expected or preferred. Instead of getting stuck in the “trap” you laid I went straight to the heart of the new example in order to show where it differed from the rope trick and healing example. None of this other similarity matters because the difference I cited resolved the whole issue.

FIRST, I am unsure how you addressed rope trick (bolded above) because I didn't talk about it AT ALL. I talked about Longstrider, Catnap, and Goodberry. I don't think Rope Trick is a healing spell, and haven't argued as such even once in this thread. As a matter of fact, this may be the first comment where I even mentioned Rope Trick.

SECOND, I gave two healing examples, which I present as proof that I was not trying to "trap" you with terminology between longstrider. Once you start assigning things like that to a debate it just shuts down. There is an apples to apples comparison that explicitly can't be a "movement terminology trap" since it's about healing.

So, let's try it just with the healing spells. Here's what I said:

Catnap gives you the ability to spend HD to heal (as well as other things). You have the opportunity to heal, regardless if you take it.

Goodberry creates berries that will each heal one HP (as well as other things). You have the opportunity to heal from the berries, regardless if anyone eats the berries before they expire.

Last edited:

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
It's not difficult to understand what you're saying. It's difficult to understand why you are saying it.

Longstrider doesn't give you a move, it adds to speed. So if you never move it doesn't help you move further. But everyone, including yourself, would say it does.

Because like Cure Wounds, which doesn't heal you if you are full on hit points, it directly adds to what its purpose is. If you cast Cure Wounds, you have been directly healed regardless of whether you need it or not. If you have Longstrider cast on you, your movement has been directly increased regardless of whether you move or not. If someone casts Catnap on you, there is no direct healing no matter what. Ever.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
You are correct, but that's not addressing what I said.

Longstrider increases your speed. You have the opportunity to move further, regardless if you take it.

Catnap gives you the ability to spend HD to heal (as well as other things). You have the opportunity to heal, regardless if you take it.

Goodberry creates berries that will each heal one HP (as well as other things). You have the opportunity to heal from the berries, regardless if anyone eats the berries before they expire.

"One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong." Let's see if you can spot it.

1. Longstrider DIRECTLY increases movement speed.

2. Catnap DOES NOT directly heal.

3. Goodberries DIRECTLY heals when eaten.

In other words, these spells have these effects, regardless if during a particular casting a character takes advantage of the opportunity it gives.

It has nothing to do with whether or not you take advantage of the movement, hit dice or eating that determines the spell type. It's whether or not the spell directly or indirectly causes the healing or movement increase.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
And your basis for that is? Climbing requires no check either, after all.

Rationality is my basis. There is no rope climb that is less strenuous than a normal walking pace. Maybe you've never climbed a rope before. I did in school, and it was knotted to make it easy to climb. It was still more difficult even at the bottom when I wasn't tired from trying to climb way up to the gym ceiling, than it was to walk at a normal pace up to that rope. The spell isn't Magic Escalator/Elevator Trick. It's Rope Trick and it requires you to climb the rope to get in.

Yunru

Banned
Banned
"One of these things is not like the others. One of these things just doesn't belong." Let's see if you can spot it.

1. Longstrider DIRECTLY increases movement speed.

2. Catnap DOES NOT directly heal.

Oh! Oh! It's this one! You're adding extra points to make to example unfairly biased to your side!

Yunru

Banned
Banned
Rationality is my basis. There is no rope climb that is less strenuous than a normal walking pace. Maybe you've never climbed a rope before. I did in school, and it was knotted to make it easy to climb. It was still more difficult even at the bottom when I wasn't tired from trying to climb way up to the gym ceiling, than it was to walk at a normal pace up to that rope. The spell isn't Magic Escalator/Elevator Trick. It's Rope Trick and it requires you to climb the rope to get in.

Have you ever walked before? And I don't mean "to the shops" I mean an adventurer's paced hike. Because that's where your argument falls apart. It's not "I walk 5 feet" it's "I set out for the nearby village a couple of miles away."

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal

Umm, yes. Which is a great example of a spell that INDIRECTLY heals. Because when I cast the spell, no one is healed. It's only an indirect action, eating the berries, which can be totally divorced from casting the spell, which heals. Heck, the caster could be dead, and someone who wasn't present at the time of casting gets healed. It's completely indirect.

Thanks again for a great example supporting my point.

It's whether or not the spell directly or indirectly causes the healing or movement increase.

As we can see from the Goodberry example, "directly healed from casting the spell" is not a requirement for a healing spell. So "direct" can not be a criteria.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Oh! Oh! It's this one! You're adding extra points to make to example unfairly biased to your side!

Maybe you weren't paying attention, but it's MY definition that's being discussed here. [MENTION=20564]Blue[/MENTION] has been trying to tell me that MY definition applies to Catnap, when it clearly doesn't.

Remove ads