D&D 5E The Problem with Constitution

Xeviat

Hero
As an alternative solution, since that would be too easy, I recommend removing +Con from HP-per-level and apply the full Con score as a temporary HP shield that renews with each short rest. The difference between a 6hp shield and a 16hp shield is less extreme than the difference of 5hp per level, but it should be enough for the melee-types to appreciate the difference, while preventing it from being such a decisive factor in boss fights.

Interesting idea!

Interesting idea!
Thanks! I'm actually re-translating that concept back out from my homebrew, 5E-inspired game (Gishes & Goblins, if you want to check it out on DriveThruRPG).

That game uses smaller numbers, but in essence, you have a pool of Armor Points for every fight that are based on your Con and your armor. Most hits will split their damage between your AP and your HP, so things start to go downhill very quickly when you've run yourself out of AP. Things like the fighter's Second Wind, or the warlord's Inspiring Word, let you restore AP during a fight. It's all very inter-connected, but the Con-as-tHP idea should be able to work on its own.

It actually was a Barbarian....his backstory says that he has been sick as a child and the "Rage" ability allows him to help fight it...as he levels up he plans to increase it at the different milestones (4, 8, 12 etc.)

Rage, rage against the dying of the light...

I guess William Blake was talking about barbarians. I’m going to start reading all his poetry in terms of D&D now.

BookBarbarian

Expert Long Rester
It actually was a Barbarian....his backstory says that he has been sick as a child and the "Rage" ability allows him to help fight it...as he levels up he plans to increase it at the different milestones (4, 8, 12 etc.)

Just get to Zealot 14 and he won't even care about HP anymore. Con saves will still suffer though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases