"DnDSports": Competitive Play With Prizes

It seems like the rumours of D&D as e-sports weren't so far off after all in today's bit of unexpected news, as D&D Beyond and Encounter Roleplaying have announced DnDSports. "DnDSports is the first online D&D Tournament in a cooperative Party vs Party setting from Encounter Roleplay & DnDBeyond with a grand prize of $5,000."

It seems like the rumours of D&D as e-sports weren't so far off after all in today's bit of unexpected news, as D&D Beyond and Encounter Roleplaying have announced DnDSports. "DnDSports is the first online D&D Tournament in a cooperative Party vs Party setting from Encounter Roleplay & DnDBeyond with a grand prize of $5,000."

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 18.11.23.png

[FONT=&amp]Here's the full announcement:

Imagine if two parties fighting for opposite sides found themselves in the same dungeon. It’s kill or be killed. What will they do to survive?[/FONT]

DnDSports is the first online D&D Tournament in a cooperative Party vs Party setting from EncounterRoleplay & DnDBeyond with a grand prize of $5,000. Over the course of 4 weeks, 16 players will compete in teams of 4 in single elimination games. Each game is a best of 3 arena battle and played via Roll20.

How is it Played?

The full rules for DnDSports will be released shortly after our next round of Playtesting. We don’t claim to have created perfect balance, nor is that our aim, as every competitive game has an element of strategy. We’re also implementing MOBA-esque mechanics such as a Pick/Ban phase to help expand the strategy. We’ve been working closely with over a dozen talented DMs to create 15 pre-generated characters from which the players will choose, and adapt the pre-existing Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition rules.

We know that this will be an incredibly fun new way to play D&D, because as long as you’re having fun, you’re doing it right!

When is it?
Day 1: November 10th at 12pm PST
Heat 1: Team Beholder vs. Team Mindflayer

Day 2: November 17th at 12pm PST
Heat 2: Team Kobold vs. Team Tarrasque

Day 3: November 24th at 12pm PST
All Stars Charity game for 826LA foundation

Day 4: December 1st at 12pm PST
Grand Finals

Where can I watch it?

Watch live on Twitch here.
The VODs will be uploaded to Youtube here.

Who is involved?

The EncounterRoleplay & DnDBeyond crews have teamed up to bring this production to life!
As for who’s competing? Keep an eye on the DnDSports Twitter & here on the blog to learn more about the teams as they are revealed!

But D&D Shouldn’t be an eSport?!
It’s not an eSport. We created something that would make competitive gamers feel safe and comfortable trying out D&D5e for the first time. It’s a new way to display the versatility of combat in D&D5e in a unique setting. We encourage you to respect the way different people play D&D because we know that this will be a fun event and there is no wrong to play D&D, as long as you are having fun!

(Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Many feel competitive play isn't what D&D is about, historically that's not entirely true. Here's a history of D&D and competitive play, going back to the 1970s.

"D&D has always had a competitive streak. Many of co-creator Gary Gygax's published adventures were adapted from tournaments that were played competitively at conventions, like Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and Tomb of Horrors.

Thanks to its wargaming roots, tournament play was well-established by the time D&D came along. Tournaments were associated with wargaming conventions. The first large-scale D&D tournament took place at Origins in Baltimore, MD on July 25-27. An estimated 1,500 attended, with 120 participating in the D&D tournament."

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Licensing means a lot of work hours (= spent money) from legal team to define the license, from the commercial team to manage the royalties/fees/penalties, from the technical team to define the actual details. this means a lot of money subtracted from other things/projects (unfortunately, also hasbro money has limits).

I've no idea if this is licensed in any way (there's no D&D logo or anything). However, the point of granting a license to somebody is to make money, not lose money.

pming

Legend
Hiya!

First impression: that is not a fair characterization of Hasbro, which scores very well on ethics watchdog reports.

Second, these worries are otherwise groundless. TTRPG can't compete with CRPGs on that front if they tried.

First...I'm going to err on the side of caution and just assume that roughly 20% to 25% of the CEO's and other 3-letter-acronym'ed suits running Hasbro are psychopaths/sociopaths. Maybe Hasbro is an anomaly with zero of these types...but the odd's are stacked against them.

Second...then why is WotC trying? To me it looks like someone who wants more power/money saw the cash bring brought in by Computer RPG games (and CCG's, to be honest) and then the uptick in RPG'ing popularity and figured "Chocolate...Peanut Butter....PERFECT!". But that's just what it looks like from my perspective, on the outside of the board room. Maybe I'm wrong, and I hope I am, but I guess we'll see over the next year or two.

^_^

Paul L. Ming

D

DQDesign

I've no idea if this is licensed in any way (there's no D&D logo or anything). However, the point of granting a license to somebody is to make money, not lose money.
sure, I'm just saying that, luckily, no money can be made without any company effort. And I would like to see that effort invested in something more akin to good d&d books, not this sort of thousands-dollars-prize "TV" show. just because also for hasbro company effort has a cost, and the fact that they choose to invest it in esports instead of a new dnd campaign setting book worries me a lot, because it creates suspicion in me about the fact that they consider this esports thing more profitable than dnd books (at least in perspective).

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
just because also for hasbro company effort has a cost, and the fact that they choose to invest it in esports instead of a new dnd campaign setting book worries me a lot

No, the point of licensing something out is not that it has a net cost. That's the exact opposite of the point of licensing something out.

That said, this doesn't look licensed. No logo, nothing on there to say it's licensed. Looks like regular livestreaming with an added competitive element.

WotC's Nathan Stewart confirms to somebody (not me) on Twitter:

"Sorry you aren't excited about this activity but I don't think it is a step back. This is not something [MENTION=17465]Wizard[/MENTION]s_DnD is driving. One of the keys to our current success is giving the community tools to do what they want and trusting them. Different styles for different folks."

D

DQDesign

[MENTION=1]Morrus[/MENTION] you are right, we do not know details about this thing, probably I'm just speculating. what I know for sure is that dnd did not have a new campaign setting in the last 15 years, that 5E Eberron has been published in beta and is disclosed for free piece-by-piece in "UA", etc. and this esport thing not wizards-driven (but announced by their CEO!) does not help the brand in that direction.

pogre

Legend
I have missed the mark on popular media pretty consistently over the years:
  • Televising a poker game? That will never work!
  • Streaming people playing TT RPGs? That will never work!
Safe to say, my instincts are that this will not work. That means, of course, it will be a huge multi-media smash!

Parmandur

Book-Friend

Warpiglet

Adventurer

[FONT=&]Here's the full announcement:

Imagine if two parties fighting for opposite sides found themselves in the same dungeon. It’s kill or be killed. What will they do to survive?[/FONT]

DnDSports is the first online D&D Tournament in a cooperative Party vs Party setting from EncounterRoleplay & DnDBeyond with a grand prize of $5,000. Over the course of 4 weeks, 16 players will compete in teams of 4 in single elimination games. Each game is a best of 3 arena battle and played via Roll20.

How is it Played?

The full rules for DnDSports will be released shortly after our next round of Playtesting. We don’t claim to have created perfect balance, nor is that our aim, as every competitive game has an element of strategy. We’re also implementing MOBA-esque mechanics such as a Pick/Ban phase to help expand the strategy. We’ve been working closely with over a dozen talented DMs to create 15 pre-generated characters from which the players will choose, and adapt the pre-existing Dungeons & Dragons: 5th Edition rules.

We know that this will be an incredibly fun new way to play D&D, because as long as you’re having fun, you’re doing it right!

When is it?
Day 1: November 10th at 12pm PST
Heat 1: Team Beholder vs. Team Mindflayer

Day 2: November 17th at 12pm PST
Heat 2: Team Kobold vs. Team Tarrasque

Day 3: November 24th at 12pm PST
All Stars Charity game for 826LA foundation

Day 4: December 1st at 12pm PST
Grand Finals

Where can I watch it?

Watch live on Twitch here.
The VODs will be uploaded to Youtube here.

Who is involved?

The EncounterRoleplay & DnDBeyond crews have teamed up to bring this production to life!
As for who’s competing? Keep an eye on the DnDSports Twitter & here on the blog to learn more about the teams as they are revealed!

But D&D Shouldn’t be an eSport?!
It’s not an eSport. We created something that would make competitive gamers feel safe and comfortable trying out D&D5e for the first time. It’s a new way to display the versatility of combat in D&D5e in a unique setting. We encourage you to respect the way different people play D&D because we know that this will be a fun event and there is no wrong to play D&D, as long as you are having fun!

(Thanks to Jeremy for the scoop!)

Many feel competitive play isn't what D&D is about, historically that's not entirely true. Here's a history of D&D and competitive play, going back to the 1970s.

"D&D has always had a competitive streak. Many of co-creator Gary Gygax's published adventures were adapted from tournaments that were played competitively at conventions, like Hidden Shrine of Tamoachan and Tomb of Horrors.

Thanks to its wargaming roots, tournament play was well-established by the time D&D came along. Tournaments were associated with wargaming conventions. The first large-scale D&D tournament took place at Origins in Baltimore, MD on July 25-27. An estimated 1,500 attended, with 120 participating in the D&D tournament."

I really like the idea of skilled play. I love to roleplay, don't get me wrong. This won't take the place of typical D&D! But at a convention or as a one off, this could be fun. How quickly can you kill the BBEG?

This could include good use of skills, spells, resource management and teamwork. The dice always matter. But it would be fun to see how a party can come together and solve puzzles and defeat threats as a unit with a standardized set of challenges (dungeon).

Again, not what I want to play every week but it could be fun and if properly edited, would be fun to watch! From time to time, particularly as a one off that gets scored, it WOULD be fun to play at home, too. Having short standardized adventures to compete on would be a fun bit of variety.

DEFCON 1

Legend
Supporter
I don't know why people are so desperate to keep people in D&D. If someone wants to abandon the D&D ship because of some phantom event that might happen in the future... I say let 'em! If they have some bizarre moral issue about seeing their $100 they spent on D&D books going to some odd facet of the game that they can't stand the thought of... then fine. Go play something else. Their spot in the D&D multiverse will get replaced in a matter of seconds and not a single other person will care that they've stopped playing.

And of course, this all assumes the player actually stops playing... which if history is any indication, is not actually going to happen. People talk a good game, but rarely ever actually follow through. ;)

Remove ads

Remove ads