First Impressions – Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage

Calling Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage the “dungeon to end all dungeons” would be a mistake but clearly Wizards of the Coast is aiming for fans of such things. While it's big, it's not the biggest dungeon ever produced. It is, however, the biggest ever produced for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons and Undermountain is considered the largest, deepest Forgotten Realms dungeon.
Calling Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage the “dungeon to end all dungeons” would be a mistake but clearly Wizards of the Coast is aiming for fans of such things. While it's big, it's not the biggest dungeon ever produced. It is, however, the biggest ever produced for 5th Edition Dungeons & Dragons and Undermountain is considered the largest, deepest Forgotten Realms dungeon.

My full review will delve into the book more thoroughly. This is my first look at it, and I have to say I'm intrigued despite not being a fan of dungeon adventures (Waterdeep: Dragon Heist, Storm King's Thunder and Curse of Strahd are more my speed).

The Appendix doesn't have as many new or adventure-specific creatures as prior adventures and no special items. It does come with Elder Rune “cards” and Secret “cards” that can be photocopied or – if the book is purchased from D&D Beyond, printed on paper for delivery and easy reference.

Despite trying to seem difficult, the dungeon has two options for saving characters from sudden death. That's not to say the adventure is easy – I still need to do the deep-dive reading. But between Jhesiyra Kestellharp trying to keep them within their challenge levels and “Alterdeep,” it's easy for GMs to spare the lives of characters that would otherwise die, which surprises me.

Dungeon of the Mad Mage is for characters of levels 5-20 – higher than prior adventures. It features 23 levels of traps, creatures and danger below Waterdeep to be played solo or after Waterdeep: Dragons Heist.

Each level has its own flair and the backstory of the dungeon explains Halaster's history and why some of the levels have radically different environments. Additionally, Skullport, the city beneath the city of Waterdeep, gets its own chapter.

Level 2 involves the Xanathar Guild and Zhentarium so it can connect quite well to the events in Dragons Heist. The constant thread of madness among those in Undermountain could also connect to Rage of Demons if a GM wished to tweak both adventures.

Wyllowwood is a forest below ground with temperate forests created by Halaster to appease a moon elf druid. Interestingly, it's also the home of a neutral good green dragon. Yes, you read that correctly. A new creature, werebats, are also associated with this level.

Undermountain also features a castle, albeit one that's one-twelfth the size of a normal fortification. Other levels involve oozes, mind flayers, swamps, mazes, githyanki, drow and duergur enclaves and much, much more.

Thankfully for GMs, each chapter also has a similar layout addressing first what dwells there, then a summary of its denizens, exploring the level, with maps, and an aftermath that provides additional hooks. Orderly, predictable layouts make life easier for busy GMs because you know where to find things.

Speaking of hooks, if Durnan isn't enough of hook to draw characters into Undermountain, Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage provides other characters and enticements. Generally though, in my experience, when you put players in the Yawning Portal, someone wants to go below to seek adventure so it's not very difficult.

I really like the hooks in the Secrets deck. I wish they had provided far more of those, though you could create your own.

The Runestone Cavern level is really intriguing. And despite the name, Arcturiadoom isn't an ice world, which would have been fun with the fire giants visiting there. Instead it's named after a lich who lives in Undermountain.

The adventure culminates in a face-off with Halaster, of course, the titular “mad mage.” The opening of the book explains an interesting out for Halaster. I'm still undecided as to whether it's inspired or a cheat.

That's just my first impressions from a quick skim through of the book. A more in-depth examination of Waterdeep: Dungeon of the Mad Mage will follow soon.

This article was contributed by Beth Rimmels (brimmels) as part of EN World's Columnist (ENWC) program. If you enjoy the daily news and articles from EN World, please consider contributing to our Patreon!!

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

jimmytheccomic

First Post
I bought it and skimmed through a bit- not going to run it as a MegaDungeon, but I think it's SUPER useful as an Underdark resource- maybe even moreso than "Out of the Abyss" was! There's lots of mind flayers, Drow, Aboleth, etc.

It has a lot of gonzo stuff that I find charming, and the overall tone is way lighter than almost every other adventure. References abound throughout, including an autographed picture of Jim Darkmagic, valuable gold foil cards you can collect, and a book you can get that is basically just a Planescape source book. Plus there is significant Spelljammer content in there. Basically as much Spelljammer as they could put into an adventure without just making a Spelljammer adventure.

That actually sounds really fun. As much as I, the DM, prefer ULTRA GRIM SERIOUSNESS WITNESS THE PAIN OF LIVING etc, I've found that humorous fantasy tends to be easier to do convincingly and more popular with players.

Cornpuff

First Post
At a skim, my first impression is that it's kinda dense but it also just looks really like...fun? It looks like kind of a good mix of dungeons with things happening in them to avoid becoming a rudderless grind, not enough moving pieces within moving pieces to become overbearing, and design meant to be enjoyable without being insanely lethal at every step. It looks like it'd just be a fun thing to run for people who wanna play D&D, and maybe it doens't need a lot of DM rewrite, but I haven't checked yet.

Daern

Explorer
I like it but I've got another niggle: Very little treasure. It's a big sprawling dungeon and I'd like to run it old school megadungeon style with XP for treasure, but it looks like I'll have to add it all in to do so.
This dungeon would work really well with a megadungeon procedure of tracking turns, torches, rations, random encounters and encumbrance, but 5e doesn't really do that.
I might change the "magic effects" of Undermountain so that instead of the "no scrying or teleporting" (which I think is unnecessary), light and dark vision spells end randomly, and people get hungry quickly.

Turgenev

Hero
Hmm... So, for the most part it’s a smaller subsection of the level as depicted in 2e, but with some subtle differences.
Some of those subtle differences were slight modifications to make sure everything fit on a page. I might have had to shorten a corridor or room here & there to make sure everything fit. You could only shrink the grid down so far before details start getting lost.

Cheers,
Tim Hartin

Turgenev

Hero
The maps in the map pack are roughly 8.5 x 11 prints of the maps, not suitable for miniature use. Think of them more as handouts you can give to players that they can write on, etc. Here is a picture from one of the Facebook group View attachment 103003
Loren the GM, do you mind if I use this picture on my Facebook page? I don't have any copies of the book/map pack (yet).

Cheers,
Tim Hartin

Satyrn

First Post
This dungeon would work really well with a megadungeon procedure of tracking turns, torches, rations, random encounters and encumbrance, but 5e doesn't really do that.
It doesn't take much to get 5e doing this well.

Mostly, the DM just needs to track time and implement some stricter encumbrance rules (@iserith says the variant in the books worked well for him; I've been using a homebrew that looks very much like this one here).

I've also made a couple changes to how resting works, primarily to enfore the need to carry supplies.

1) I've tied food and water consumption to resting instead of the passing of time. That is, if a player wants to gain any benefit from a short rest, he needs to tick off a ration of food and water (and double that for a long rest).

2) If the player wants to spend hit dice during a rest (short or long), he needs to expend a use from a healer's kit.

And I've given random encounters a good chance of interfering with a resting. Roughly 1 in 3 short rests get interrupted and it's pretty much impossible to get a long rest outside of "safe zones."

Remove ads

Remove ads