New Spell: Abyssal Balefire

Okay, this is a spell I want to create for my demonologist/necromancer. Let me know what you all think - is this balanced? What should I change (if anything)? I want to get some feedback on this before I present it to my DM.

Sethra's Abyssal Balefire
Evocation [Fire]
Level: Sor/Wiz 5
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: 60 ft.
Area: Cone-shaped burst
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex half (see below)
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell channels a viscous black and red effluvium drawn from the lower planes. Originally created by denizens of the Abyss to destroy mortals in one of the most painful ways possible (by fire), this sludge bursts into magical black flames upon touching living matter. Balefire that lands on non-living matter reverts to ordinary (if odd-looking) tar. Abyssal Balefire splatters outward in a cone starting at the caster's palm. All vegetation within the spell's area of effect immediately catches fire and burns until consumed or the spell expires. This spell has no effect on undead and constructs, and non-living items need never make a saving throw (even if their owner critically fails a save).

Creatures in the area of effect are allowed 1 reflex saving throw in the initial round of the spell only. Those who fail the saving throw are coated in the ghastly sludge, and take 1d6 damage per 2 caster levels up to a maximum of 10d6. The Abyssal Balefire clings to these pitiful beings and continues to inflict damage each round until the Balefire is completely consumed or extinguished. However, as the Balefire burns, the damage it causes to the creature lessens by 2d6 per round starting on the 2nd round and continuing until extinguished or the damage dice are reduced to 0. If the initial save is successful, they are only splattered by the Abyssal Balefire and take only half damage. Also with an successful save, the Balefire burns out in 1 round with no additional damage in future rounds.
Example: a 20th level caster would do 10d6 damage the first round (save for half). The 2nd round, those who failed the save take an additional 8d6, then 6d6 on the 3rd round, 4d6 on the 4th round, and 2d6 on the 5th and final round as the Balefire flickers out.

Abyssal Balefire can be extinguished is by magical means, such as a successful Dispel Magic, Anti-magic Field, or similar effects, or by a magical cold effect of at least equal power level, such as Cone of Cold (in which case the both spells cancel each other out and end immediately). No non-magical means of extinguishing the Abyssal Balefire are known to exist; even total immersion in water will not extinguish the flames.

Material Component: Tar and a drop of demon's blood.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Notes: At minimum caster level, the max this spell could do is 5d6+3d6+1d6=9d6 - the same as a cone of cold at the same level. And on a successful save, it only does 2d6, where a cone of cold at that level does 4d6.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Suggested Revisions:

"No non-magical means of extinguishing the Abyssal Balefire are known to exist; even total immersion in water will not extinguish the flames." Changed to:
Abyssal Balefire can also be extinguished by non-magical means, such as total immersion in water, or by spending a full-round action to remove the burning tar from one's body, resulting in another Relex save. If failed, the Balefire continues to burn for another round. This is the same method used to extinguish normal fire.

Change the die cap from 10d6 to 8d6 (in effect, changing the level cap from 20th to 18th). Max damage on a failed save would be: 8d6+6d6+4d6+2d6=20d6. The damage at lower levels would be unaffected.

Last edited:

Cheiromancer

Explorer
I'd peg it as a 6th level spell, myself; maybe 7th.

[edit] After all, it can do up to 30d6 of damage to creatures in the area of effect, and one's undead and construct minions can be in the area without being harmed.

On the downside, it does at most 5d6 on a successful save, and fire resistance is unusually effective against it (since the protection applies each round). And if you want to fight undead and constructs, you are out of luck.

Still, I would say that it is definitely more powerful than a cone of cold.

[/edit]

Last edited:

MQP

First Post
Gonna have to agree with Cheiro; it's a nifty spell, but a bit too powerful for 5th level (IMO). If you could extinguish the flames by non-magical means, I'd say 5 is spot-on.

MQP

hmm... I'd like it to stay 5th, if possible.

I hadn't taken into consideration the fact that on a failed save it effectively does up to 30d6 - at 20th level.

But on the flip side, at minimum caster level, the max it could do is 5d6+3d6+1d6=9d6 = the same as a cone of cold at the same level. And on a successful save, it only does 2d6, where a cone of cold at that level does 4d6.

Also, it allows SR - do you all think that should be on the first round only, or every round (on a failed save & SR check)? I'm not quite sure how that should work.

I will be editing the first post shortly with changes...

Last edited:

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Allow a Reflex save each round to extinguish the flames, just like normal fire allows a Reflex save to extinguish. (However, just like normal fire, the victim needs to spend a full-round action to make a secondary Reflex save.)

It's a very effective anti-caster weapon. The secondary Reflex saves don't change that, but they do make it less effective against Rogues and such.

Remember that Melf's Acid Arrow will deal a total of 14d4 Acid damage with no save at 18th level, so 30d6 from a 5th level spell isn't out of line.

Perhaps consider capping the damage at 8d6 (making the level-cap one higher than Cone of Cold's limit).

-- N

Nifft said:
Perhaps consider capping the damage at 8d6 (making the level-cap one higher than Cone of Cold's limit).

Isn't Cone of Cold's damage cap 15d6?

I like the reflex save each round idea, as well.... *adding to suggested revisions, above*.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Goddess FallenAngel said:
Isn't Cone of Cold's damage cap 15d6?

Right, CoCold caps at 15th level. Your spell deals 1d6/2 levels, so 15th level isn't a good place to cap the damage. Instead, cap it at 16th level (for 8d6).

-- N

Nifft said:
Right, CoCold caps at 15th level. Your spell deals 1d6/2 levels, so 15th level isn't a good place to cap the damage. Instead, cap it at 16th level (for 8d6).

-- N

Ah, I understand now. :)

Right now, it caps at 20th. Were it to cap at 16th, the max damage would be: 8d6+6d6+4d6+2d6=20d6. The damage at lower levels would be unaffected.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases