Rock based tabletop rpgs

Nagol

Unimportant
What you want is Starchildren: Velvet Generation, a game set in a fascist-dominated future where the Ministries of Culture dictate what kinds of art and music are allowed, and the PCs are underground musicians sparking revolution with their music. As you might guess, it's heavily influenced by Bowie, Rush, and Pink Floyd, among others.

You description reminds me of a short tv series about a teen who ends up in a parallel fascist universe and begins to inspire rebellion among the downtrodden by becoming a rock star using the music he remembers from his Earth. The name of which escapes my google-fu currently.

aramis erak

Legend
Hi there! Yes, we did think about making our own thing. That's why I am asking for further inspiration sources. And swe wish to avoid creating a product that already exists :)

Admirable... but, if you find inspiration but mechanics you don't find usable, it may be worthwhile to do something better.

And, just as a bit of slightly off topic- the Band GWAR had a minis game, GWAR: Rumble in Antarctica. Worth reading just for the fill text that gives the (hopefully false) origins of the Band, and an excuse for them to be slaughtering others...

it was almost to the level of an RPG. Well, about as close as the original WH40K... maybe a hair closer. Opposed roll attacks, using roll x dice, keep y dice, using the XkY notation as used in L5R and 7th sea. According to my former roommate, BC, it's as much fun as an RPG as it is as a minis game. (BC is now, after a mid-life crisis in his early 30's, an ex-owner of a cab company and a merchant seaman. As far as I know, he's still a fan of GWAR - the band, the comic, and the game.)

gilgallo

First Post
Admirable... but, if you find inspiration but mechanics you don't find usable, it may be worthwhile to do something better.

And, just as a bit of slightly off topic- the Band GWAR had a minis game, GWAR: Rumble in Antarctica. Worth reading just for the fill text that gives the (hopefully false) origins of the Band, and an excuse for them to be slaughtering others...

it was almost to the level of an RPG. Well, about as close as the original WH40K... maybe a hair closer. Opposed roll attacks, using roll x dice, keep y dice, using the XkY notation as used in L5R and 7th sea. According to my former roommate, BC, it's as much fun as an RPG as it is as a minis game. (BC is now, after a mid-life crisis in his early 30's, an ex-owner of a cab company and a merchant seaman. As far as I know, he's still a fan of GWAR - the band, the comic, and the game.)

WOW!

Can I read it?

helbent4

Explorer
You description reminds me of a short tv series about a teen who ends up in a parallel fascist universe and begins to inspire rebellion among the downtrodden by becoming a rock star using the music he remembers from his Earth. The name of which escapes my google-fu currently.
Was this the short-lived 80's TV series "Other Worlds"? Where an all-American family travels to a parallel or alien world via pyramid and engage on a journey to find the way home?

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
There's significant rock influence in OctaNe. Not sure if that helps. There's not a lot of actual, you know, playing instruments and stuff, but music is important to the game generally.

Remove ads