Lost In Translation: Adapting Fictional Characters To Games

There are two ways of rating fictional characters that you want to add to role-playing games (and other types of games as well). These are the functional method and the emotional/perceptual method (for want of a better name).

There are two ways of rating fictional characters that you want to add to role-playing games (and other types of games as well). These are the functional method and the emotional/perceptual method (for want of a better name).

What's the difference? The functional depends on what the character can actually do, without regard to what others can do. The emotional/perceptual depends on the character's relation to the rest of the world. In that second method, a very powerful character will be rated as similar to the most powerful characters in the game rules you're using, regardless of what the character can actually do.

An example from my own experience was my introductory D&D adventure through Moria, published in White Dwarf more than 35 years ago. There were no Lord of the Rings (LOTR) movies at that time, but most prospective players had read LOTR. The party of player adventurers were the Fellowship of the Ring. Assuming most players had read LOTR, I let new players play the familiar characters to make it easier for them to understand what was going on. (Keep in mind, RPGs were relatively new at the time; even today there are many millions who have no idea how an RPG works.)

I relied on what the characters could actually do. Consequently, Aragorn was a seventh level ranger with a magic sword (keep in mind this was first edition D&D) and Gandalf was an eighth level cleric with a Ring of Fire and a magic sword. At seventh rangers got an extra attack every other round, and had a lot of hit points with high constitution required (and one extra D8). Gandalf could not raise the dead as a ninth level cleric could, hence the limit to eighth - and even at eighth, the D&D cleric uses a lot more magic than Gandalf. (Gimli and Legolas were fourth fighters, and I gave the hobbits an extra level to second.) If the party included experienced players, they played Gandalf and Aragorn.

Some readers wanted these characters to have sky-high levels because they were so much more powerful than virtually anyone else in Middle-earth. "But they were two of the most powerful figures in the world!" is the emotional/perceptual response. Yes, but it's a world almost entirely lacking in powerful figures, and in magic, compared with the typical FRP world. Imagine Gandalf as a 17th level cleric creating one miracle (in Middle-earth terms) after another. If Gandalf had been anywhere near the level some readers desired, he would have been a god within Middle-earth's low magic setting. Or imagine Aragorn at 16th level, slaughtering trolls, ogres, giants, wholesale.

So I focused on the functional, believing that the emotional follows in the long run. In this case Aragorn and Gandalf are still very powerful compared with the other characters. The only similarly powerful character involved was the Balrog, which was probably more powerful than either Aragorn or Gandalf just as in the book itself. (Keep in mind the Balrog back then was much less powerful than the Balrog is in D&D now - AC2, 10 hit dice, two good attacks (2-12 and 3-18), needed +3 weapons to hit IIRC.)

So I just avoided the ridiculous, avoided giving far too many choices to the players, and also avoided the problem that Advanced D&D mechanisms broke down when you got much into double-figure levels. It just didn't work anymore.

Functionality is part of modeling, characterized by a term called "correspondence," or less mellifluously "analogousness." My word allowance doesn't let me go into details here, I can only summarize. There are three questions to ask (generalized for all games, not just RPGs):

• Do the actions of the player-controlled characters/assets in the game correspond with what happens in real life (or the fictional reality) we're modeling?
  • Does the non-player activity in the game correspond to what happens in the (possibly fictional) reality we're trying to represent?
  • Do the strategies a player follows correspond to something in that reality?

Gandalf as a 17th (or more) level cleric will result in No's for all these questions, as will Aragorn at 16th+ level ranger. But at the levels I chose, we can get Yeses.

contributed by Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Lewis Pulsipher

Dragon, White Dwarf, Fiend Folio
One thing that creates a tricky point is that D&D, and most RPGs, are based on starting off early in their career, whereas most fictional characters are generally conceptualized at the height of power (one-shots do not necessarily suffer this problem). Back in the day, I had a player make a character based on Elric. He certainly wasn’t getting a Stormbringer, despite his requests!

For my part, if you’re going to take inspiration from a fictional character, I think it far more interesting to take the spirit of the character and recontextualize them in the new setting, than to just try to model their power. What happens if I take proud Thorin Oakenshield and put him in Shadowrun? Let’s make a Warforged version of C-3PO I have a character that is pretty much “Raistlin in Space.”

As for Gandalf’s level, his power was greater than what he wielded, as the Istari were forbidden from directly matching Sauron’s power with their own.

Tony Vargas

Legend
I seem to recall there being several fairly satisfactory translations of Gandalf (my favorite only missed out on cantrips) these often involving the Shielding swordmage some times the Avenger. Early paragon with level 11 or 13 in most cases for Gandalf the White.
Aside from that Gandalf is a DMNPC argument.
AD&D generally isn't flexible enough. But Gandalf is tricky even in 4e (maybe a STR cleric with INT secondary and multi-class wizard?).
I had occasion to stat out Gandalf (OK, a Gandalf parody, Vastgulf Mythreindeer) in AD&D, 3.5 and 4e, each time using the conceit that he was a '5th level magic user.' In AD&D he was a 5th level human magic-user, who had previously been a 9th level fighter, and had rolled improbably well for his stats - and even more improbably well for his psionics (and probably could've taken the Type VI demon in psionic combat, but the party never got that far, they got bogged down fighting orcs in Moria). In 3.5 he was a 5th level Wizard - half-celestial (a +5 LA race) - and the Balor inevitably TPK'd 'em. In both cases he was decked out with the requisite Glamdring, Staff of the Magi and Ring of Fire Elemental Command. In 4e he was a 5th level Deva Wizard - and the party did manage to fight their way past a 'Balor Shade' (a 'Balor Husk,' an undead demon, converted from 17th level elite to the equivalent 12th level Solo - the Balor Husk was a surprise, it evoked the 'creature of shadow & fire' thing nicely).

I felt both Half-Celestial and Deva captured Maiar, conceptually, better than cleric. And what did Gandalf (or anyone in genre, really) ever do that was at all D&D-Cleric-like?

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
I felt both Half-Celestial and Deva captured Maiar, conceptually, better than cleric. And what did Gandalf (or anyone in genre, really) ever do that was at all D&D-Cleric-like?
Yes Deva definitely but 5th level doesnt give me enough toys at all for this one. I can make a decent Zorro and many others at level 1, ie it's not because of power.

Just like the Cleric he wore chain mail an beat things up with a club while shooting glowy heal spells all the time .

... The perfect paragon path was vital for getting Gandalf to feel right in 4e of course this occurred when he went from Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the white so 11 was a minimum level for the game system feel ; ).

Abdul argued Epic was required based on lore.

Tony Vargas

Legend
Yes Deva definitely but 5th level doesnt give me enough toys at all for this one
... The perfect paragon path was vital for getting Gandalf to feel right in 4e of course this occurred when he went from Gandalf the Grey to Gandalf the white so 11 was a minimum level for the game system feel ; ).

Abdul argued Epic was required based on lore.
Almost sounds like each book of the Trillogy could be a 4e Tier. Aragorn'd be a Legendary Monarch at the end.

Last edited by a moderator:

S

Sunseeker

"D&D is a game of imagination. If some group wants to battle or play fictional characters, more power to them." Was the first line of my response.

I am not so presumptuous as to tell others the correct way to play D&D. If they want to play Gandalf and Frodo, and have fun doing it, then I say go for it. If everyone is on board, who cares?

D&D isn't the system I would choose to do so, it is pretty clunky. I would think Middle Earth Role Playing would be more appropriate (for obvious reasons!).

People can "have fun" doing all sorts of things.

I do not believe attempting to recreate fictional characters is a sound way to do that for the majority of play. You'll usually end up disappointed.

Tony Vargas

Legend
People can "have fun" doing all sorts of things.
I do not believe attempting to recreate fictional characters is a sound way to do that for the majority of play. You'll usually end up disappointed.
Entirely depends on the system.
A class/level system like D&D? Nah, even at it's most customizeable (3.x) or balanced/re-skinnable (4e), it's unlikely to work well - maybe you'll capture the feel of the character at some level, if everything in the campaign comes together, possibly if you squint at it just right.
An officially-licensed system purpose-built to simulate a specific property? Maybe, if your vision of it matches that of the guy who wrote it closely enough, and the system's not just some slap-dash thing to make it technically an RPG because the RPG license was available relatively cheaply.
A well-researched GURPS worldbook? Again, if your vision is as well-researched and your research led you to the same conclusions. ;)

A highly-customizeable build system, like Hero or a more freeform one like FUDGE/Fate, OTOH, lets you build to /your/ vision of the character in question.

Doug McCrae

Legend
Fictional character's capabilities are based entirely on literary function. If its useful for them to cast Meteor, they cast it. If it's not, they don't. End of story. They do not have daily allotments of spells except for when the story calls for that to matter. They don't have to prepare or memorize spells except for when the story thinks that's important. They can kill a man 9 different ways with only their thumb because the book says they can, grapple checks need not apply.
I think you're largely right, especially in the case of the quickly written trashy pulp fiction that features heavily in Appendix N. Lord of the Rings is an exception to this but I suspect old JRR may have perpetrated a few magical ad hocs, such as Saruman slowing Aragorn, Legolas and Gimli, and hastening the orcs in the pursuit across Rohan. It's awfully convenient and there's no foreshadowing of this power.

But, isn't simulating elements of fiction the main content of early D&D? D&D grew out of the fantasy supplement for Chainmail. Chainmail simulates medieval warfare, and the fantasy supplement simulates wizards, heroes and monsters as they might function on the battlefield. OD&D took the content of speculative fiction, Lord of the Rings more than any other single source imo, and statted it up. It did for speculative fiction what a wargame does for historical warfare. So just as the non-fantasy part of Chainmail has rules for catapults, sieges and jousts, D&D has rules for Hammer horror vampires, Frank Herbert-esque purple worms, virtually every being that appears in Lord of the Rings, and so forth.

The fiction D&D is based on might be mostly nonsense but D&D has always treated it as if it isn't. It treats it as if it has the solidity and consistency of history.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
I usually avoid using well known characters from popular settings in my RPG sessions. There's a huge risk that either the game rules or the person in control of those characters will not do them justice. So if I ever ran a LOTR campaign, there would be no Gandalf, Legolas or Aragorn. There would be the player characters instead.
Indeed from perusing the Cubicle 7 forum, a non-trivial number of people playing Middle Earth games set it away from LotR timeline, either earlier, later, or in an out of the way place.

I too dislike "signature" NPCs quite a bit and almost always try to avoid them whenever playing or running in a licensed property.

pemerton

Legend
I seem to recall there being several fairly satisfactory translations of Gandalf (my favorite only missed out on cantrips) these often involving the Shielding swordmage some times the Avenger. Early paragon with level 11 or 13 in most cases for Gandalf the White.
I thought "cleric" because it (i) gives ritual magic, and (ii) gives melee capability (in STR form), and (iii) gives the power to rouse allies' spirits by speaking a gentle word of encouragement (Healing Word), and (iv) gives the power to drive back the Nazgul (Turn Undead).

I though multi-class wizard to get access to Scorching Burst as an encounter power.

Aside from that Gandalf is a DMNPC argument.
I know it's common, in discussions of LotR from a RPG perspective, to frame Gandalf as a NPC or DMPC. But I think it's fruitful to actually think of him as a PC. It shows how a sage-type PC can drive the action and story in a fantasy RPG.

Remove ads

Remove ads