Opening Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes

Unlike 4th Edition, 5th Edition D&D has had a much slower pace for book releases. While some fans grumble, the change has worked in WotC's favor, making each release an event, and interest is doubled for source books like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

Unlike 4th Edition, 5th Edition D&D has had a much slower pace for book releases. While some fans grumble, the change has worked in WotC's favor, making each release an event, and interest is doubled for source books like Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes.

mordenkainens.jpg
View attachment 97718

While Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes (MtoF) is a rich resource for both players and DMs with 144 monster stat blocks, new options for elves, dwarves, tieflings, halflings and gnomes, and a host of inspiration, it also reads a bit like a story that reveals the cosmology and pre-history of the D&D multiverse. That fulfills Mike Mearls’ goal of explaining the driving forces in the D&D multiverse so that a new player or DM would have a good sense of the world.

Much like Xanathar's Guide to Everything, MtoF uses the conceit of having been written by someone within the D&D multiverse – Mordenkainen, the legendary wizard from Greyhawk who believes in maintaining "the Balance" out of fear that any victor in the war between good, evil, law and chaos would become a tyrant. This allows the book to use epic conflicts as the organizing theme, and it's a good choice.

The first chapter explains the Blood War, the ongoing battle between demon and devils with details on the demon lords of the Abyss and the devils that rule the Nine Hells. It answers the common question, "Why don't evil beings join forces to conquer the multiverse" rather well, providing an excellent viewpoint for devils.

MtoF provides ways to customize NPC cults according to the associated demon or devil lord. Cambions, devils, demons, and tieflings also get customization options. The demon lords detailed in Rage of Demons are reprinted here for simplicity and to keep everything together, but they're modified with increased hit points and often higher damage attacks.

The primal history of the elves explains not just how Drow became outcasts, but why there are so many types of elves. Rather than make "they're evil" the motivation, it's a more complicated origin akin to Lolth and Corellon as parents who turn on each other, leaving their children to suffer for it. The origins of the Raven Queen, Eladrin and Shadar-Kai also tie into this epic conflict. If the upcoming D&D movie succeeds, this bit of history could make a good prequel.

Elves, dwarves, halflings, gnomes and tieflings get various player options including charts for quirks, personality options, etc. and more details on the various deities and their relationships with their followers. If you ever wondered what an elf experiences during reverie and why, MtoF answers that along with the Drow counterpart, how elves punish crime and more.

A much talked about teaser for the book revealed the new ability, Corellon's Blessing. Because the creator of the elves can change into any shape, with the DM's approval, this ability allows an elf to change their gender once a day, after a long rest. Mechanically, it's a simple gift, but it led to some fan debates as to whether the "Player's Handbook +1" rule would limit players who wanted this ability to MtoF, preventing them from using it with the class options from Xanathar's Guide to Everything. While MtoF doesn't specify, the free PDF, Mordenkainen's Tome of Foes Primer, which is available on DriveThruRPG and the DM's Guild web sites, indicates that for official play, Corellon's Blessing, along with some deity choices for elves, dwarves, halflings and gnomes, are not limited by PHB+1.

After explaining their intertwined origins, sea elves, Shadar-Kai and Eladrin become player options in MToF with the latter gaining variant options of Spring, Summer, Autumn and Winter Eladrin. These options are subject to PHB+1 for official play. However, in a D&D Beyond interview designer Jeremy Crawford cautioned that the Eladrin listed in the monster section in the back of the book are not player options.

Much like the history of the elves, dwarves and their tragic fight with the duergar (now a player option) is another key piece of lore. Deities of both groups are explained, which makes sense since fealty to and hatred of Moradin is at the core of the split between the two. The sidebars on the effects of alcohol on dwarves and duergar are interesting and could be used to add depth to one's role-playing.

Gith also become player race options in MToF, but Giff do not. The latter are a hippo-headed, military race from Spelljammer with art that makes everyone who sees it want to play one. It would be relatively easy to homebrew an option using the monster stat block as a foundation.

Official play for the Githyanki and Githzerai requires that they be members of the Sha'sal Khou, a group of radicals seeking to reunite the two groups into one Gith species. Much like how organized play requires lawful evil characters to be members of the Zhentarim, this requirement gives the DM a way to rein in characters since Githyanki tend to be lawful evil.

Between the Gith entry and the duergar, there are numerous references to mind flayers and their long-gone empire, so it's a bit surprising that it's not detailed in the book. It would have been a logical addition. The creatures in the bestiary have higher challenge ratings to accommodate characters 10th level and above.

Considering the number of planar creatures in MToF, I suspect Sigil may be part of an upcoming release, with a revival of Spelljammer as a close second guess – especially since Mike Mearls noted in a recent video that Spelljammer ships cross planes instead of sailing through space.

The book's covers are well done, though the limited edition cover (my follow-up review displays that cover) by Vance Kelly is far more impressive in person. It's downright stunning, but photographs don't show off the metallics or details well whereas the mainstream release cover by Jason Rainville do.

My only real complaint about MToF is its length. At 256 pages, it's substantial but several parts could have been expanded further without the book feeling bloated. The options provided give players a lot to work with for character-based adventures. DMs will find a wealth of inspiration and creatures to challenge parties of any level. It's very much a success.
contributed by Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Beth Rimmels

Superchunk77

Adventurer
Thanks for the overview.

This confirms that the book's content isn't my cup of tea. The book goes into D&D lore that I don't really care about.

Same here. I had it on pre-order when it was first announced, then as I read more and more about it, I grew less and less interested in it. I finally cancelled my order about a month ago. After reading this overview I am very happy that I did.

gyor

Legend
Definitely, and before the whole War Among the Seldarine, Correlon was getting down with both Sehanine and Araushnee, though I guess it depends on which of the various origin stories you believe.

Among others, I mean Araushnee was his wife, but few Gods practice mongomy, eternity is simply too long and it interfers with any planes to have half mortal childern.

I mean he promoted Celanil for her ability to love, Zandilar for her Capcity for lust, and that third god for his ability to party, and Keptolo for his Hedonism, so he likely tested them out first to see if they were worthy of Godhood.

Coroc

Hero
Are you serious? Gender changing elves?
What Scenarios have you guys going on at your table? So if some other sex PC/NPC starts something with an elf woman on one day does this make the PC / NPC technically queer, when the elf changes into a man the next day?

Ok as a DM i did put some -most often humorous -associations with context to ongoing actual politics into some of my adventures, but this is a bit of overdoing things. Imho explicit Content and be it to drive some political correct Agenda does not belong to the Standard ruleset of a game. Put in your queer/trans/whatever PC/ NPC that is ok, but genderchanging elves? That is a bit of a no to me .

The Big BZ

Explorer
Are you serious? Gender changing elves?
What Scenarios have you guys going on at your table? So if some other sex PC/NPC starts something with an elf woman on one day does this make the PC / NPC technically queer, when the elf changes into a man the next day?

Ok as a DM i did put some -most often humorous -associations with context to ongoing actual politics into some of my adventures, but this is a bit of overdoing things. Imho explicit Content and be it to drive some political correct Agenda does not belong to the Standard ruleset of a game. Put in your queer/trans/whatever PC/ NPC that is ok, but genderchanging elves? That is a bit of a no to me .

So Dwarves with grey skin that can turn invisible and intelligent jellies that can turn a bit of themselves into someone you know to lure you to your death are fine but elves that can change gender is just toooooo much for you? That's pretty funny:lol:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Imho explicit Content and be it to drive some political correct Agenda does not belong to the Standard ruleset of a game.

If you are going to lump the very complex issues around gender norms and sexuality acceptance into "political correctness" it is probably best that you not bring them up at all. It is fine to say that it isn't your thing, but don't belittle the significant life issues of others with over-simplification, please and thanks.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6872504]The Big BZ[/MENTION] #57 Hm, now that you point it out, so you say those dwarves are greysexual with a jelly fetish and i just did not read the monstermanual that thoroughly up til now?

How about Drizzt? Would be that cool idea to let him Change gender also? Maybe he can trick soem Lolth Priestess that way?

I can imagine all sorts of things and i am grown up enough to handle every scenario be it however explicit and twisted. But i am also convinced that D&D should not only be a game for all genders but also for a wide range of ages and people with ethics and moral which might be diverse from my own. What i try to say: a cursed belt of gender change is much fun at the table once in a while, a political agenda which is not suitable for every age category packed on one of the most noble fantasy races is not imho.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION] sorry i did consider a Long time to get this into right words while english is not my native language and had not noticed that you already gave me a mod warning. Please be asured i do neither want to up or downvalue any political agenda i just wanted to express it does not belong to the game - in my own personal opinion. Everybody of course else is free to think differently.

Remove ads

Remove ads