Pathfinder 1E How should I treat a zippo style lighter?

Rod Staffwand

aka Ermlaspur Flormbator
I dunno:

Lighter. Cost: 1gp. Weight: -. Sheds light as a candle. Requires a move action to light and a free action to extinguish. Holds 10 minutes of lamp oil (worth 1cp).

Does this really require writing up?

Puxido

First Post
Zippos don't go out until you close the lid and suffocate the flame. Unlike the Bic style, you don't have to hold down a safety to keep the flame burning. Once you light the wick, it keeps feeding fuel until the flame goes out. (which is technically slightly after the lid closes, so there will be the smell of unburnt fuel if you reopen it). However, unlike a Bic, the fuel is actually absorbed into cotton balls inside the lighter, so it's less of an explosion hazard.

The technology isn't that far-fetched for the average fantasy-medieval setting, where wick-based oil lanterns and flint-and-steel are both considered common items. The Zippo is just a thumbwheel of metal that strikes a piece of flint, creating a spark that ignites the fuel-soaked wick. The machining for the thumbwheel might be the toughest part, though if you allow gunslingers, you're probably fine.

You'll get a week to ten days out of the fuel, whether you use it or not, thanks to the fact that they're not airtight and the fuel evaporates.

I don't know Pathfinder well enough to give you game stats, though. :/

Well thanks vault boy, thats very helpful. But I want to use this to get to a goal of a functioning in game item.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I would do something like this:
  • Cost: 1 to 5 gold maybe more based on material and design, things like crest or other symbol on the lighter
  • Light as candle - dim illumination
  • 200 charges - Don't know how else to work this in game - real world, Zippos need refueling once a week, with or without use - flame last up to 90 minutes.
  • Using requires free hand and is a free action

Ramaster

Adventurer
I dunno:

Lighter. Cost: 1gp. Weight: -. Sheds light as a candle. Requires a move action to light and a free action to extinguish. Holds 10 minutes of lamp oil (worth 1cp).

Does this really require writing up?

This, basically.

As a side note: This one time I was playing with my GF, she had an angelblooded Aasimar (not important).

We where creating her character and we got to the equipment section. While looking at the table she said "Flint and steel... what's that?" so I explained to her how it worked (we even watched a youtube video, since I had never seen one in action!).

After all the discussion was over (about 5 minutes) she looked at me a bit puzzled, then down at her character sheet and finally wrote down "lighter".

James Jacobs

Adventurer
There's always this, copy/pasted from the Technology Guide portion of the PRD...

LIGHTER
Price 10 gp; Slot none; Weight —; Capacity 10; Usage 1 charge
This small handheld tool creates a tiny open flame when activated. Once triggered, a lighter's flame (which gives illumination as a candle) continues to burn as long as the lighter's trigger is depressed, consuming energy at the rate of 1 charge per hour. The flame can be used to light larger items on fire, but is not large enough to cause significant damage on its own.
CONSTRUCTION

Craft DC 11; Cost 5 gp
Craft Technological Item, production lab

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
There's always this, copy/pasted from the Technology Guide portion of the PRD...

LIGHTER
Price 10 gp; Slot none; Weight —; Capacity 10; Usage 1 charge
This small handheld tool creates a tiny open flame when activated. Once triggered, a lighter's flame (which gives illumination as a candle) continues to burn as long as the lighter's trigger is depressed, consuming energy at the rate of 1 charge per hour. The flame can be used to light larger items on fire, but is not large enough to cause significant damage on its own.
CONSTRUCTION

Craft DC 11; Cost 5 gp
Craft Technological Item, production lab

Those are good stats for a Bic-style lighter. To modify for a Zippo, I'd change "continues to burn as long as the lighter's trigger is depressed" to "continues to burn, even if no one is holding it, until an action is spent to close the lighter." The balance to not having to devote a hand to it would be an additional sentence which incorporates the fuel evaporation: "If the ZippoLighter has not been activated during a 24-hour period, it loses 1 charge."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases