Core Rules Alternative Cover Gift Set

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Original covers online: $96. This set: $170. It is hard to justify spending that much for something we already have, or could get much cheaper with the normal covers.

Every other company does a special edition and charges 150% for said books. Often just with a variant cover.
Which are typically only available on the publisher’s online stores.

WotC charges the MSRP and lets you buy them at FLGS where you don’t have to pay for shipping. And people flip out because they can’t buy them at Amazon discounted prices.

:/

Last edited by a moderator:

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I was curious about the errata as I've bought a second PHB that says it includes revisions, 3 in my local FLGS said the same, first printing but includes revisions...but all still have the 4th bullet in the dungeon delver feat. What printing should I be looking for for this normal PHB?

Im almost ready to order these for the errata and covers being a cool secondary bonus. My books are still in great shape 3+ years later.

happyhermit

Adventurer
I was curious about the errata as I've bought a second PHB that says it includes revisions, 3 in my local FLGS said the same, first printing but includes revisions...but all still have the 4th bullet in the dungeon delver feat. What printing should I be looking for for this normal PHB?

Im almost ready to order these for the errata and covers being a cool secondary bonus. My books are still in great shape 3+ years later.

To see which print run it is you have to look at the code underneath the print info; "9 8 7 6 5 4 ..." every print run they remove one number.

KenNYC

Explorer
The title of the item pretty much explains it: This makes a great gift if you know someone who plays D&D and you don't want to get them a gift card or sweater. They will love it and it will be their favorite gift at christmas. It isn't really something someone who already owns the stuff and plays regularly needs to buy. Don't buy it for yourself, just hint to your secret santa you'd love it.

Going back to AD&D 1e, I really enjoyed some of the black and white art. As I get older, I realize that where there is less, the mind fills in more. I really like the design of the new covers, a lot.

That's just cuz as you get older you hallucinate more!

...and you know what format you still can't get the core books in? PDF! When is WotC going to realize that we're in the second decade of the 21st century? ...

WOTC! WAKE UP!

I would almost certainly have purchased at least one or two of the core books in hardback by now if it were possible to get legal PDFs for them. (Better if you got a free PDF with the hardback, which most companies do nowadays.)
Uh, wake up yourself?!?! PDF is OLD technology, and though it will never be obsolete, it is archaic and barely functional.

As has been stated, there are much better digital formats than PDF, and 5E is available in several of them with DDB, Fantasy Grounds and Roll 20.

Make whatever excuses you want, but don't expect people who pay attention to what actually is possible to be sympathetic to your gripes.

rknop

Adventurer
And DnD Beyond its a lot better than PDFs, although usable on less devices

It offers things PDFs do not, but it doesn't fill the need that PDFs fill. It's a proprietary service to which you subscribe, and that require you to be online. A PDF would be a book, in electronic format, that you can read on whatever device you want. What's more, as with the physical book, you buy it, and then you have it; no need to pay for a regular subscription on top of what you've paid to get the book in the first place.

The existence of D&D Beyond does nothing to reduce the need for PDFs. It's a whole different thing.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads