Pathfinder 2E Converting AD&D 2nd Edition to Pathfinder Question

koesherbacon

First Post
I just inherited a bunch of old school adventures for AD&D 2nd Edition, which I'm going to adapt for Pathfinder.

At the beginning of many of these old adventures it lists what levels characters should be for the game to be challenging but not unbeatable. Basically, it just says what it's recommended level is.

So, I'd like to know, in AD&D 2nd Edition, what is the maximum level characters can be. I'd also like to find out if a 2nd Edition says a game is best suited for characters of Level X, would the same level work for characters using Pathfinder? Or, should adjustments be made.

I feel that if the maximum level overall is 10th, then clearly a 5th level character in that game would be much more powerful than a 5th level character in Pathfinder. I feel this would be the case since level 5 is 50% of the maximum level in AD&D, but is only 25% of the maximum level in Pathfinder.

If anyone wants to shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

If it makes any difference, I'm going to start using the adventures found in "Ravenloft Chilling Tales" to bring my players into their this new campaign setting.

Thanks a lot! I know some of you can help me out here!

Zardnaar

Legend
I just inherited a bunch of old school adventures for AD&D 2nd Edition, which I'm going to adapt for Pathfinder.

At the beginning of many of these old adventures it lists what levels characters should be for the game to be challenging but not unbeatable. Basically, it just says what it's recommended level is.

So, I'd like to know, in AD&D 2nd Edition, what is the maximum level characters can be. I'd also like to find out if a 2nd Edition says a game is best suited for characters of Level X, would the same level work for characters using Pathfinder? Or, should adjustments be made.

I feel that if the maximum level overall is 10th, then clearly a 5th level character in that game would be much more powerful than a 5th level character in Pathfinder. I feel this would be the case since level 5 is 50% of the maximum level in AD&D, but is only 25% of the maximum level in Pathfinder.

If anyone wants to shed some light on this, I would appreciate it.

If it makes any difference, I'm going to start using the adventures found in "Ravenloft Chilling Tales" to bring my players into their this new campaign setting.

Thanks a lot! I know some of you can help me out here!

2nd ed goes to level 20, 30 if you use the High Level Campaign book. 2nd ed monsters are a lot weaker than 3rd ed/PF monsters though so large numbers can be overwhelming eg 20 goblins at level 3 or so is not to bad in OSR games, can be a problem in 3.x type games. Orcs are even worse.

You can sub in Pathfinder monstersexample 6 Orcs is 6 orcs regardless but just be careful. This requires practice and trial and error.

Zardnaar

Legend
No problem. Its been a long time since I read Ravernloft though so I am no familiar with your adventure. From what I remember RL adventures were not typical D&D adventures.

delericho

Legend
So, I'd like to know, in AD&D 2nd Edition, what is the maximum level characters can be.

There's no actual maximum level, though the PHB only supports up to level 20. Later supplements formally support even higher levels, but even that's not a hard cap.

I'd also like to find out if a 2nd Edition says a game is best suited for characters of Level X, would the same level work for characters using Pathfinder? Or, should adjustments be made.

Up to level 9, a 1-to-1 comparison works fine. It should be noted that, starting at level 9, 2nd Ed characters hit 'name' level, after which non-spellcasters start to progress at a much reduced rate (spellcasters continue to acquire new spell levels). So, anything above 9th level will require additional conversion work - but then, I don't think there are many 2nd Ed adventures (outside of Dungeon magazine) for high levels anyway...

The big thing you'll want to look at are the individual encounters, though - most 1st and 2nd Ed adventures had encounters set up based on what "felt right", while Pathfinder is much more formal about such things. Additionally, some monsters (notably giants and dragons) very signficantly changed in power level in the meantime. So, time permitting, you might want to rebuild some, or all, of the encounters, both adjusting the number of opponents faced, and sometimes changing to an entirely different opponent (eg Ogres instead of Giants) to keep the flavour of the encounter without becoming over-powered (or, indeed, under-powered).

Alzrius

The EN World kitten
There's no actual maximum level, though the PHB only supports up to level 20. Later supplements formally support even higher levels, but even that's not a hard cap.

Strictly speaking, that's not the case. The DM's Option: High-Level Campaigns book flat-out says that 30th level is as high as a character can reach. (Though the Forgotten Realms Arcane Age: Netheril: Empire of Magic has rules for characters ascending as high as level 45.)

Last edited:

Nagol

Unimportant
Strictly speaking, that's not the caqse. The DM's Option: High-Level Campaigns book flat-out says that 30th level is as high as a character can reach.

TSR published modules with higher level ratings though like H4: Throne of Bloodstone: "for character levels 18 - 100".

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
As far as conversions go, take a look at the 2e encounters and convert directly. Then eyeball the resulting challenge rating. When I converted the giant modules and slaver modules for 3.5, I worked with that method. The slaver module converted pretty straight, similar level. Giants ended up a couple levels higher. Worked out well. PF should be similar.

Remove ads