It's a Good Thing D&D Isn't a Toy

We've previously discussed a time when Dungeons & Dragons was considered as much of a toy as it was a book. The loss of D&D in toy stores was a blow to a hobby that found its footing among a younger generation. Now things have come full circle as the bottom of the toy market fell out from under Wizards of the Coast's parent company, Hasbro.

We've previously discussed a time when Dungeons & Dragons was considered as much of a toy as it was a book. The loss of D&D in toy stores was a blow to a hobby that found its footing among a younger generation. Now things have come full circle as the bottom of the toy market fell out from under Wizards of the Coast's parent company, Hasbro.

[h=3]Toys vs. Books[/h]We discussed previously how D&D wasn't just classified as a toy in some markets, but produced its own toy lines as well. D&D was carried in toy stores in the early 80s. The game's success in those markets was due in part to Dr. Eric J. Holmes' Basic version of D&D, which streamlined the rules and made them more accessible to a younger audience.

But D&D was as much of a toy as it was a book, and bookstores carried the game too...until they didn't. Unlike the toy market, the book trade often carries a return policy. Random House stopped fronting then-D&D owner TSR's loans against book sales in 1996 and returned a third of TSR's products -- several million dollars' worth. That accumulated debt sunk the company, only to be rescued by Wizards of the Coast.

Things came full circle when Wizards of the Coast (WOTC) was purchased by Hasbro. WOTC has continued to shepherd the D&D brand, which for years labored in the shadow of WOTC's other major game brand, the much more successful Magic: The Gathering card game. That all changed in the past few years.
[h=3]Roleplaying vs. Card Games[/h]The tension between D&D and Magic goes back years, with several failed attempts to cross-pollinate the two brands. It's also emblematic of two different markets: Magic, with a smaller physical footprint, can be sold everywhere from book stores to the big box franchises like Target in the U.S.; Dungeons & Dragons left both the book and toy store market behind to focus on sales through hobby store and the Internet. Thanks to WOTC's new CEO, Chris Cocks, the two brands have finally managed to produce joint efforts like The Guildmaster's Guide to Ravnica.

Beyond a D&D product, Magic's digital efforts with Magic: The Gathering Arena have blazed a path for D&D esports, which Hasbro CEO Brian Goldner breathlessly reported (and then retracted). It's clear that Cocks isn't playing favorites and sees both brands as fertile intellectual property beyond the original play spaces that spawned them. That's good news for Hasbro, because the market recently bottomed out of places that carry much of their product.
[h=3]Toys Aren't Us[/h]Toys R Us' collapse has sent shock waves through the industry, but it was a tsunami for the two major toy producers, Hasbro and Mattel. Toys R Us accounted for 10% of Hasbro's sales. Brian Goldner explained on the Q4 investor call:

For Hasbro, in addition to losing hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue from Toys“R”Us, the liquidation of an additional hundreds of millions of dollars of their retail inventory sold into the market at large discounts was more impactful to 2018 than we, and industry experts, estimated. It is an unprecedented yet finite event. Prior to its initial bankruptcy filing, Toys“R”Us was our third largest customer in the U.S., and our second largest customer in Europe and Asia-Pacific. In Europe, its bankruptcy added to a market already dealing with disintermediation across retail by online and omni-channel retailers, as well as political and economic headwinds, notably in the UK. According to NPD, the European toy and game market declined 4% last year across the top six markets.

All this added up to Hasbro revenues declining 12% to $4.6 billion, including a 13% decline in the fourth quarter. The implications for Hasbro go beyond the financial. Nerf, for example, had significant shelf space at Toys R Us, and it loses a major opportunity to showcase its brand with the loss of the toy store.

There was one bright spot in Hasbro's Q4, and it was Dungeons & Dragons. Goldner said the brand delivered "another record year" within the gaming portfolio, and that plans continue apace to expand D&D into digital play. Goldner pointed out in the Q&A that D&D being untethered from toy stores was actually an advantage, as they weren't significantly impacted by the loss of Toys R Us.

D&D has long since become an online brand -- at this point, there are so many resources online that it's entirely possible to play D&D for free -- that gives it an advantage in protecting the game's sales from the downturns in distribution channels. The loss of Toys R Us has put that advantage in sharp relief and Hasbro has taken notice. We'll likely see more focus on intellectual property brands like D&D in the future.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Tony Vargas

Legend
As a book property, D&D does have a pretty good track record of IP success. Overall, D&D as an IP has a good track record of success at various times (now, the early 80s).
A fad and a come-back? Sure. Aside from that, it's track record is relative to other RPGs, which is like saying lemberger has a good track record in the US compared to natto…

In addition, it has a certain ... je ne sais quoi at this point (see also, Stranger Things, general prevalence in pop culture).
Je sais quoi: nostalgie

Seriously, Stranger Things is an 80s period piece, D&D was part of the period. Those of us in our 50s appreciate that for the obvious reasons.

Courtney Solomon was a disaster for the D&D cinematic property, absolutely. Heck, it took a lawsuit to pry the property from his talentless hands.

In hindsight, I think Marlon Wayans’ performance has aged better than the rest, because he knew the movie was going to be terrible, and hammed it up accordingly. Jeremy Irons, overacting within an inch of his life to pay for the castle he had bought is also great; "GOOOOOOOD, I COULD USE EVERY OUNCE OF YOUR RAGE. HATATATATATA!!!!"

And then there’s Bruce Payne, as Damodar, who defaults to three modes: glower, sneer, and make the veins on his head pop:

View attachment 105074
D&D doesn't have a great record as a movie property. The 2000 movie had terrible effects, and ...well, Marlon Wayans. In addition, much like I was discussing with the serendipity that movie-making requires, this movie hit the iceberg, with the director ... not wanting to direct, this was his first film, and one of only three films he ever directed. Seriously- he directed this (one of the worst films possible), An American Haunting (a TERRIBLE film), and Getaway (a film that scores 2% on Rotten Tomatoes ... and that's generous).

The very first time I saw the movie, I had rented it on VHS in 2000 or 2001. I started watching it and immediately knew that I needed back-up to watch it. A few calls later, a bunch of friends and I were having plenty of fun laughing at it.

But yeah, that movie was just a perfect storm of terrible, useful for your own personal MST3K viewing party and not much else.

oknazevad

Explorer
I must take exception to the original article's claim that D&D has abandoned the book trade. Yeah, novels have slowed to a crawl, but walk into any Barnes & Noble or Books-a-Million and you'll easily find a rather sizable display of D&D game books and related accessories. D&D is more available through that channel than pretty much everything except dedicated FLGSs. Add in the ready availability of the Starter Set in the board game aisle of any Target store and it's hardly just something found in hobby stores.

FitzTheRuke

Legend
The best D&D Movies so far are Brotherhood of the Wolf, Clive Owen's King Arthur, and the Guardians of the Galaxy movies.

I'm sure I'm missing a few My point is that there HAVE been some good D&D movies.

Just none of them are called "D&D".

YET.

Tony Vargas

Legend
The game is more popular than it has ever been.
Yes, it was very popular for a few minutes (OK, years) in the 80s, and is even more popular, now, at a time when the 80s are finally getting some overdue play in pop culture. That's a fad & a come-back. It's especially fun if you were around for the original fad.

Seriously, dude, I feel like you're like some sort of 80s throwback shouting, "NERDS!"
I'm the sort of 80s throwback who /was/ one of the NERDS, and hasn't changed as much as I should've. ;P

(Though I suppose the fact I still use forward slashes to denote /italics/ shows I'm also kinda a 90s UseNet throwback.)

Have you not been paying attention the past decade?
I've been paying attention /the whole time/. (OK, I may have blinked in the second half of the 90s, and missed what 2e was doing around the time WotC acquired TSR.)

it's certainly a lot more then 50-somethings being nostalgic. The enthusiasm I see is mostly with the middle school and high school crowd.
I'm seeing it more with college-age millennials, but, sure, yeah. The geriatric set who where there for the fad are the hoary ice-crystals that seed the cloudburst of the come-back. It's a standard formula, generational demographics had just delayed it, this time around, so we're getting it now, instead of c2004.

#kidsthesedays
#goodoldays
#itsaneffingpoundsign

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads