The Crux of the Matter

Bront

The man with the probe
In regards to Rayne using the Crux: "No, no one should approach it. For you, it's likely safe, but I don't trust the Crux in anyone's hands, it's too easy for something to go wrong."

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Ironically, it isn't a bad plan--it's an almost-certain success assuming Rayne comes back and chooses not to destroy the Crux (not that she could succeed without adamantine anyway though). Rayne getting full spells now might make it such an obvious win for you guys that Sin wouldn't even try a straight-out fight)

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Yes, which is why Vanitri will let her if she chooses, but I should realy follow what he ultimately decided he would do about the Crux. Also, letting it be destroyed and doing it yourself in any way are two different things.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: It depends on what you mean by 'letting it be destroyed' (since that expression has two possible meaning I can think of). If you mean 'trying to the 100% best of his ability to stop it from being destroyed but failing', you are completely correct--nothing bad would happen. If it means saying 'Go ahead and blow up the Crux. Personally I don't want to do it myself, but I'll let you destroy it if you like. Here's the secret of how to destroy it, by the way, and you can borrow my Adamantine Dagger, but I didn't do it. No sir, not me. It was you.', then that's not sufficient, it's following the letter of wording that doesn't exist (hence why I said not to think of it as a specific oath in which you can subvert the letter of the wording).)

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: No. He won't stop someone from trying, but he won't aid them, and will generaly rather talk them into just avoiding it. He's not going to throw himself in the way of the crux if someone did try to destroy it though. He will definately not talk someone into trying to destroy it, which is a problem with the Rayne situation, since that's part of what she has to try to do, evne if he knows she can't succeed.

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Actually, if he can mostly convince her that it should never be destroyed and she convinces herself the rest of the way after being absorbed, she can come back out ;) It still absorbs you if you are indifferent towards it.)

Bront

The man with the probe
OOC: Oh, in that case...

"Don't try anything against it, just approach it, but don't destroy it. Ever. Should send you back here pretty quickly, and you'll be ready to go. But be very careful."

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: In the interest of time (yes, yes, I know it's a pun for this adventure ;)) )

*Rayne moves towards the Crux, and she is absorbed. Shortly thereafter, she reappears.*

"Alright, I have all my spells back now. Based on the spells she has used so far, Sin somehow thought ahead enough to prepare enough spells to beat me in a firefight and still have enough left over to pelt Delayed Blast Fireballs at us and nearly kill us, but she can't possibly have enough left after all of that to defeat me again with all my spells back. And now, all her little wraiths should be easy to defeat. Let's blow ourselves a path, Rayne style!"

*The group quickly realises that Laynie needs to Dimension Door with Rayne, since it is possible that Sin will try to hide and secretly disrupt the Dimension Door attempt that carries Laynie, and if Rayne isn't the one left behind with Laynie, Sin can probably overpower anyone else, but if Rayne is the one left behind, Sin is at too low of capacity to beat Rayne in a fight, so disrupting Rayne's Dimension Door is pointless.*

*With that decided, they head down, but this time, Sin and the wraiths aren't there--Sin must have considered it pointless and potentially deadly to even take the chance.*

"Obviously I can't have Elpis, at least not today. If you ever change your mind, do feel free to come back. Oh, and based on that weirdness with Guile, I have another potential idea...we'll see," Sin's voice filters from elsewhere, as when she is Scrying on them and speaks through the Scrying device, "Since this is the case, I expect you to treat my daughter well. If I find out you hurt her, I'll find a way out of here and hunt you and yours down to extinction. Laynie, I'm expecting big things from you! Grow up and become a great Wizard--I'll bet you could become even greater than me. Maybe you'll find a way to help safely neutralise the Crux and make me whole again."

*The group double Dimension Doors out and then moves through the distortions around the tower before Teleporting (just in case). At the spot on the edge of the clearing on the way towards the tower, the same spot they had first seen the mists surrounding the tower what seemed like ages ago, they see a floating disc of force which holds the cloak that Sin usually wears but wasn't wearing when Ashna saw her and a letter:*

"Since I obviously failed to stop everyone from leaving, that means that my entire future is in your hands now, my beloved daughter. As such, I have entrusted this, my Master's Cloak, to you. Notice the double Sice symbol on the back--it is more powerful than any other. Your status at heir means that this is your Arcane Mark too now, so you can use it, but no other can. Undoubtably, at least someone is going to decide I'm not to be trusted, but I swear that this is simply my way of passing the torch from mother to daughter, and unlike a certain merchant, I'm not a liar. If they don't believe me, they can have Rayne Analyse Dweomer the cloak and determine all its magical properties. Rayne would know that it is impossible to hide any magics on the cloak that an Analyse Dweomer wouldn't see. I wish only the best for you, my beautiful daughter, in all your endeavours. You are ever my pride, and joy, and hope, and I will always love you, no matter what.

Love,
Mom"

Last edited:

Rystil Arden

First Post
(OOC: Rayne can confirm that Analyse Dweomer will reveal everything. Beyond taking the cloak, that's basically it. Each character receives an additional 1000 XP (minimally accomplished ending / escape) + 2500 Quest XP for completing the quest. You should think about dividing treasure, and we should tally Tenebrynn's total to see how awesome his party is (and how much it costs). Also, note that due to the curses and side effects (or plain being too expensive), most of the good items you found will not move on the market at Orussus. Certainly the Master's Cloak is worthless as a magic item to anyone but Laynie)

Bront

The man with the probe
"Laynie has been well cared for by me, and will continue to be under the best of care." Vanitri says to Sin simply, as he follows the others out.

OOC: Ok, treasure distribution and ID time. Vanitri has claimed the only 2 items specific to him, and the other stuff was kind of floating around. What do we have that we still need to ID, and who's interested in what?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases