D&D 5E Ok I have to ask..... what's with the Paladin hate on here?

Tinker

First Post
I've never been keen on balancing mechanical power with roleplay restrictions. If that is the role you wanted to play anyway, it is free power. If not, you remain mechanically unbalanced which still causes problems for the DM and other players, plus you enjoy the rp less because it isn't your preferred style. Or you just don't play it that way.

Sent from my [device_name] using EN World mobile app

Rossbert

Explorer
I only really had an issue with the Chaotic variant Paladins. An alignment dedicated to not following rules that has an elaborate code of conduct? Seemed counter intuitive.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
As some people have identified, there are two distinct issues here:

1) Some people dislike the baggage associated with the class, because they know people who have played a paladin poorly in the past.

2) Some people dislike the specific mechanics in 5E, because they don't work well with the rest of the system. Smiting twice per round wrecks pacing (both of that one fight, and of the entire day), and +5 to all saves for the entire party wrecks bounded accuracy.

And though it hasn't been repeated much in this thread, I think some people have another problem:

3) With all of the lore-related changes in 5E, it doesn't really feel like a paladin anymore. If you're chaotic neutral, or championing the causes of nature, then that's just completely the wrong mental image from a knight in shining armor which has always been the core class identity.

Quoted for truth.

Good overall synopsis. There are likely outliers, but overall this covers it IMHO. (I still like the paladin)

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Oooops, just ID'd myself to [MENTION=6799753]lowkey13[/MENTION] ....oh noes...

sparhawk.jpg

ArchfiendBobbie

First Post
You must always be on the lookout for those who advocate for the Paladin. The Paladin is the d4 of classes; sure, it might be a part of the history of the game, but have you ever wanted to roll a d4? Does it even roll? Or is it something you tolerate because, "It's always been that way," knowing that it's the one die that doesn't roll, shouldn't be in the game, and will repeatedly hurt your tender feet as you step on them like ersatz legos. The Paladin is the d4- useless, and occasionally painful.

D4s roll better than caltrops, have a similar effect, and are often hard to see in the dark due to being black. I roll them all of the time.

Granted, no one else enjoys it, but it's always good for a snicker.

Normally, the Paladin lovers skulk in the shadows, properly embarrassed of their unfortunate predilection. But this thread has brought them to the light, often with pictorial evidence. And when the revolution comes, they, and their smites, and their Holy Avengers, will be the first against the wall.

Wait... I'm leading the revolution! Why would I put myself up against the wall? And it won't be my treacherous lieutenant, since I know he'll wait until after I'm in power before unleashing his sudden but inevitable betrayal.

77IM

Explorer!!!
Supporter
When lowkey13 was only a wee lad, he was coming home from the theater with his family, when a paladin emerged from the darkness and murdered his parents.

Remove ads