Season 9 Adventure changes

I

Immortal Sun

What about those of us who do have interest in AL? I run games at my FLGS and I'd really love to run AL because it increases the available pool of players (many players only want to do AL). But I currently run "homebrew" because AL just keep making the special rules more and more and more burdensome, which is a problem for my regular players.

These rules aren't burdensome to anyone who isn't trying to game the system.

If you're not trying to game the system then these rules have zero impact on your players.

jasper

Rotten DM
Just read the Ghost of Saltmarsh documentation. If you meet Volo, um Aubreck's and befriend him, he is rich enough to pay for one spellcasting service per PLAYER for what looks to be the modules in the book. So no help for those loyal fans who are going to run multiple characters next season.
PS. Again you don't have cash for spell casting services so you get this funny money.

Nagol

Unimportant
These rules aren't burdensome to anyone who isn't trying to game the system.

If you're not trying to game the system then these rules have zero impact on your players.

Well, this year probably not. Next year, it'll probably be burdensome to players like me. I don't play enough to get one character to tier 3 in a season -- often not even to tier 2. So come next year, I'll have to hope people near me keep running season 1-8. Otherwise, I'm going to be a perpetual newbie.

Update based on Lysa's explanation in Adventurers Wanted:

* You choose a season when you create your character
* Content from Seasons 1-8 count as one (mega) season
* Content from Seasons 9+ are individual seasons

So for a new character, you could create a "pre-Season 9" character or a "Season 9" character. And eventually, Season 10...

Cheers!

To further add to this, per the article, any character can still play in any season's adventures, with the restriction that a pre-season 9 character cannot gain story awards or magic item unlocks from season 9+, and a season 9 character can play in season 1-8 content, but again cannot earn story awards or magic item unlocks. Treasure checkpoints, advancement checkpoints, renown, and downtime are still earned regardless of what season a character was created for. Otherwise, there are no restrictions on what content you can run your characters through.

So yes, you can grab that character that does not match the season being run and help a table out, you just will not get all the rewards they get.

Nagol

Unimportant
To further add to this, per the article, any character can still play in any season's adventures, with the restriction that a pre-season 9 character cannot gain story awards or magic item unlocks from season 9+, and a season 9 character can play in season 1-8 content, but again cannot earn story awards or magic item unlocks. Treasure checkpoints, advancement checkpoints, renown, and downtime are still earned regardless of what season a character was created for. Otherwise, there are no restrictions on what content you can run your characters through.

So yes, you can grab that character that does not match the season being run and help a table out, you just will not get all the rewards they get.

I don't want to "help a table out": I want to play and advance my character. If I'm locked out of some awards at one table, I'll likely look for a table where that is not true. If I can't find one where I'm not treated as second class, I'll probably just wander off.

jasper

Rotten DM
Here's to completely ignoring the point. ��

Who would want to play as some kind of NPC that doesn't get a share in the loot?
SMACK SMACK I am your UNCLE WIZARD FROM THE WEST COAST. You will play, how I say to play to help out the new players. And none of your power gaming BEEP. JOKING

Remove ads