Pathfinder 2E's New Death & Dying Rules; More on Resonance

It's another day, and that means another round of Pathfinder 2nd Edition News! Today's menu includes more discussion on resonance, followed by the main course -- the new rules for death & dying! All added, as ever, to the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Compiled Info Page!
It's another day, and that means another round of Pathfinder 2nd Edition News! Today's menu includes more discussion on resonance, followed by the main course -- the new rules for death & dying! All added, as ever, to the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Compiled Info Page!

DYRtftNU8AApxcC.jpg

Photo by Paizo

• There are Pathfinder Playtest pro-order posters at the GAMA trade show. See above! And below...
  • Gnome Stew reported on the Future of Pathfinder seminar at Gary Con. Mainly stuff we've heard before, but there are some new tidbits:
    • Shadow of the Demon Lord, white-box D&D, Magic: the Gathering, Tales from the Loop, and Star Trek Adventures were all referenced during development.
    • The item (shield) damage system has a name -- it's called "dented".
    • Some "signature gear" can level up with your character.
    • "Background will grant a specific Lore, which is similar to a specialized knowledge skill, such as Lore—Alcohol being granted to a character with barkeep as a background".
  • Resonance proved divisive yesterday.
    • Jason Bulmahn weighed in on the heated discussion -- "Hey there all! Let's all just take a breath here before things get too heated. Resonance is a system that we knew was going to come with some controversy. It's really hard to give you a full sense of what the system allows us to do with the design space without going on a deep dive on magic items. This is a topic we are going to hit soon, so hang in there. I will say this before I go to run more demos at GAMA. Players have rarely run out of resonance in our games, and there is a lot more healing to go around than you might think."
    • Class features don't use Resonance -- "We avoided making class features that use Resonance Points unless they're directly tied to items. Resonance is a resource for items thematically and specifically. If you have abilities from a bloodline, you'll have to pay for those some other way..." (Bonner)
    • "...we've had some delightful occultist-based thought experiments based on some of these ideas as the "kings of resonance."[FONT=&amp] (Seifter)[/FONT]
    • Bulmahn commented -- "Hmm... I keep seeing posts that tracking one pool of points is too fiddly. It's odd, considering that it's meant to replace a system where everything had its own personal system of usage with times per day, total charges, and time based limits. Of course, I have plenty of reservations about this particular mechanic. We're definitely pushing the envelope here, but fiddly is not the complaint I expected to see so frequently."
  • New Dying Rules! "RumpinRufus" reported on how they worked in the live streamed game at the GAMA trade show:
    • There are no negative hit points - if you take damage equal or greater than your HP, you go down to 0 HP and get the Dying 1 condition.
    • If a crit knocks you to 0, you gain Dying 2 instead of Dying 1.
    • Each round, you must make a save to stabilize. The save DC is based off the enemy - a boss may have a higher death DC than a mook, so you are more likely to be killed by bosses.
    • If you reach Dying 4, then you are dead.
    • If you make the stabilize check, you gain a hit point, but are still Dying. If you make another save at 1 HP, you are no longer Dying, and you regain consciousness.
    • If an ally heals you while you are Dying, you still have the Dying condition, even though you have positive HP. You still need to make a stabilize check to regain consciousness. But, once your HP is positive, you are no longer at danger of death from failing your checks - failing a stabilize check just means you stay unconscious.
    • The Stabilize cantrip puts you at 1 HP.
    • Mark Seifter further added -- "If you get well and truly annihilated by an attack, you die instantly. Even a 1st PC could probably insta-kill a kobold grandmother, even if the GM chose for full tracking of unconscious and dying NPCs."
  • Erik Mona on monster books again, and how self-contained stat blocks will be -- "I don't think we've fully committed one way or the other yet. The playtest monster book is going to be mega stat block dump without a lot of description of what, say, a skeleton looks like or eats. :) As for special abilities and how they're formatted, while I know the design team has been hard at work on this stuff, I haven't interacted with it too much yet (I just finished going through magic items last night!)."
  • Both Erik Mona and James Jacobs feel strongly about the presence of more outsider types on the summoning lists -- "No, actually, James Jacobs and I also feel very strongly about this. Very strongly."
  • Logan Bonner comments on complexity, options, and the 'cognitive load' -- "We're keeping it in mind for sure. That's one reason we've rejiggered the number of bonus types, altered the action economy to make choice clearer, and (at least mostly) made it so you have options for static feats instead of only giving options to expand your list of actions. We'll see in the playtest whether that mix is right."
  • Logan Bonner informs us that coffee and tea have been added to the Playtest Rulebook.
  • Mark Seifter on how corruption could work "...gaining a corruption could unlock a new set of ancestry feats, as your fundamental nature has shifted."

DYRtftOVwAEWxhY.jpg

Photo by Paizo
[FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT][FONT=&amp]Save[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Save[/FONT]

Actually I've always seen Wizard as being very much a learned skill - sure you've got some built-in aptitude but it's irrelevant until you do the years of study required to learn how to channel it.

Sorcerers just come by it naturally...which is the one aspect of Sorcerers I've never quite grabbed on to.

Again, I see picking pockets as something a Rogue might work for years to learn how to do.

It's just that by the time we start playing them our characters have already done all this stuff, and so we ignore it.

Exactly, plus beyond the “Intuitive/Self Taught/Trained” starting age modifiers, there’s no rules around it at all, so it’s completely up to the campaign world fluff. An Int caster who studies a spell book each day vs. a Cha caster who uses the magic in their blood might lend itself to certain ideas but you could just as easily say wizards in your world master magic quickly because they just follow pre-written rules and sorcerers spend years in specialized training to find and control the magic within without harming themselves. Other than the easily ignored or modified starting age table, there is zero mechanical difference. So whatever fluff people want works.

So what happens when the 4th level Fighter picks up a level of Wizard? In my games they did not need to spend years learning how to cast spells, I am guessing that it was different in your games.

FWIW, in my campaign in that situation, the player nearly always leads up to it story-wise rather than just picking it up. Actually most multiclassing in my campaigns are more like a blending concept that requires more than one class rather than a “career-change” sort of multiclassing. But when that happens, players in my campaigns have naturally included some pre-learning prior to the change. Of course, there’s also a healthy dose of on-the-job training working much faster. Sitting in a classroom might take years to learn the basics, but having monsters trying to kill you every day accelerates training just a bit. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
So what happens when the 4th level Fighter picks up a level of Wizard? In my games they did not need to spend years learning how to cast spells, I am guessing that it was different in your games.

A lot of DMs will require players to get some kind of specialized training in order to multiclass. You want your next level to be in wizard? You’ll need to find yourself a mentor to teach you the basics. You want a level in rogue? Hang out with some underworld types and get them to show you some tricks of the trade. Want a level in Monk? Go to your local monestary and start practicing katas. Etc.

In fifth edition, you need extraordinary mental aptitude in order to pick up wizardry without having gone through the normal years of schooling. That is literally the explanation for pre-requisite ability scores to multi-class, is that you need natural talent in order to learn things so quickly.

In third edition, wizards had a higher starting age than sorcerers, to reflect their years of study. It took humans ~7 years to become a level 1 wizard (or druid or monk), compared to ~2 years for a sorcerer (or rogue or barbarian). If you multi-classed, then you had to stop for a while and train, and possibly pay someone to teach you; training rules were in the DMG, but mostly ignored.

In AD&D, multi-classing was something you did before the campaign started, and dual-classing was something that humans could do between adventures. Going from fighter to wizard required you to have Intelligence 17, again because you need extraordinary mental aptitude in order to learn a new class so quickly. (You also needed Strength 15, in order to maintain your fighter level while you worked on your wizardry.)

The idea that you could just pick up a level of wizard, and it was no big deal, was something born out of laziness in third edition, by players who didn't actually care about how the world was supposed to work. Fourth edition made it worse, with its easy retraining rules, but fourth edition never even pretended to care about how the world worked.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I've got houserules in my game for if someone wants to pick up a class they didn't have before. Let's just say it's not an overnight process. :)

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
In fifth edition, you need extraordinary mental aptitude in order to pick up wizardry without having gone through the normal years of schooling. That is literally the explanation for pre-requisite ability scores to multi-class, is that you need natural talent in order to learn things so quickly.

In third edition, wizards had a higher starting age than sorcerers, to reflect their years of study. It took humans ~7 years to become a level 1 wizard (or druid or monk), compared to ~2 years for a sorcerer (or rogue or barbarian). If you multi-classed, then you had to stop for a while and train, and possibly pay someone to teach you; training rules were in the DMG, but mostly ignored.

In AD&D, multi-classing was something you did before the campaign started, and dual-classing was something that humans could do between adventures. Going from fighter to wizard required you to have Intelligence 17, again because you need extraordinary mental aptitude in order to learn a new class so quickly. (You also needed Strength 15, in order to maintain your fighter level while you worked on your wizardry.)

The idea that you could just pick up a level of wizard, and it was no big deal, was something born out of laziness in third edition, by players who didn't actually care about how the world was supposed to work. Fourth edition made it worse, with its easy retraining rules, but fourth edition never even pretended to care about how the world worked.

In Pathfinder you go up a level as soon as you have enough XP to do so. Actually since 2e really unless you were using the optional training rules.

It sounds like [MENTION=51168]MichaelSomething[/MENTION] really gets it.

houser2112

Explorer
I think there's been a miscommunication on this point. I actually argued that Charisma-based Resonance is entirely consistent with what we know about how the game world is supposed to work, and my only real objection is in the unusual complexity which it adds to the model. They could be more efficient with their rules if they used something like a Magic stat instead of splitting effects between Int and Charisma.

For me, if there's going to be a stat to determine how often you can use magic items, Charisma is the one to use, for sorcerer reasons. My only real objection is that such a rule is stupid in the first place and violates verisimilitude hard.

CapnZapp

Legend
Re Resonance: I think they're killing the wonderful idiosyncrasies about magic items.

Streamlining that is actually a negative.

Nobody complained having to keep track of uses per day was a problem.

Resonance is solving what isn't a problem.

Remove ads

Remove ads