Why 5E may be the last edition of D&D

Zardnaar

Legend
Will 5e be the "last" edition of D&D?

Maybe.
It could very well be, as far as we define editions. If they do a 6th Edition or revision, it might be more akin to the 1e/2e split where the content is largely backwards compatible. 6th Edition could be a smaller tweak of an edition, with less substantial changes than we saw in 3.5e. Almost more of a repackaging of the rules with more attention paid to presenting the rules in an easy, accessible format.
I don't see nearly as much pressure on the rules to change or be updated like I saw in 3e or 4e. Fewer people thinking of cracking apart the base system and remaking sweeping sections of the rules. More adjusting smaller subsections, like certain classes.

But there's probably no way 6e will ever be as popular or high selling as 5e is.
Which is fine. D&D does have a big pope/ small pope thing. 1e/ 3e/ 5e are big while 2e/4e were less well received. It makes sense that 6e will be more of a filler era that maintains the company while people keep playing 5e but no longer need books until 7e comes and can capture the market again.

And D&D is doing better than ever. It had its best sales year ever in 2017, and 2018 is reportedly even better than that. Can it do that for a third year? Maybe. Probably not. There's a finite number of players who can join the game. I imagine PHB sales will start to slip in 2019 and sales of accessories will be lower. Sales will still be great: still probably better than sales during in 3e and 4e. But just lower.
I love 5e, but unless the spring and fall book are amazing, I almost have all the content I need. Eventually sales might drop enough that a reboot or relaunch is needed...

2E outsold 3E overall apparently its kind of an internet myth about 2E sucking and it was the edition where TSR died. It did sell a lot less than 1E and B/X but 1E was reprinted 17 times and is the only edition to get reprinted into the next edition. 3E beats it though if you count 3.0 and 3.5 as one edition.

Mercurius

Legend
Any kind of D&D film or TV series needs to avoid game terminology like the plague: No "I'm going to cast a fireball" or "I am going to take a short rest so I can heal up." And no nerd humor! There is a certain kind of humor that only (some) nerds find funny and turn others off. Just make a good fantasy movie. Dragonlance Chronicles is the best bet, imo. Possibly Drizzt/Icewind if they can figure out how to cast him without upsetting large segments of the population, although I personally am a bit fatigued with the "cold north." Dark Sun could be really cool if well done.

The other thing is how to title such movies? I suppose Dark Sun - A Dungeons & Dragons Movie works, but Dragonlance: Dragons of Autumn Twilight - a Dungeons & Dragons Movie is rather unwieldy.

Aldarc

Legend
Transformers is also on a downwards spiral (style over substance crap story telling).
This is nothing new in the history of Transformers. It has had its series of downward spirals and rebirths. Also, I heard that Hasbro plans on rebooting the film franchise. I think they want something more traditional in terms of the character designs and stories.

The nice thing is that D&D can tell almost any story. That makes it relatively easy to make a movie about. The only issue is that there's really not a unique and iconic d&d story to draw inspiration on.
Sure, but the problem is that most D&D stories are crap - sorry, but it's true - and very little of the "creme of the crop" would translate well to other media for mass consumption money-making.

2E outsold 3E overall apparently its kind of an internet myth about 2E sucking and it was the edition where TSR died. It did sell a lot less than 1E and B/X but 1E was reprinted 17 times and is the only edition to get reprinted into the next edition. 3E beats it though if you count 3.0 and 3.5 as one edition.

2e did well. But it also was around for a lot longer than 3e and had the black border reprints.
But it still wasn't as successful as 1e. And a lot of people didn't move over.

Remove ads