Would a typical D&D town allow adventurers to walk around?

Lalato

Adventurer
In another thread I mentioned that the existence of adventurers would probably change how towns and villages interact with them. I mean... would you want people that could literally kill everyone you know without a lot of effort roaming around your town square? Probably not. Maybe over time the culture would change in obvious and non-obvious ways.

I proposed that strangers wandering into your town would likely need to present themselves to the elders or leaders or whatever... and maybe customs would have evolved that they might keep you out of town until you, the adventurer, gained their trust. And this would likely be true of any strangers with weapons and magic that happened to walk into town.

Anyway... [MENTION=2011]KarinsDad[/MENTION], [MENTION=177]Umbran[/MENTION], [MENTION=1165](Psi)SeveredHead[/MENTION]... have at it. We can discuss the finer points of how merchants do or don't get around this. Or better yet, how do you think cultures would evolve with magic and adventurers (aka murder hobos) wandering around?

Are you specifically talking about the scenario where high-level adventurers are common? Because I figure that, for the most part, high-level characters are too rare to have a significant impact, just from passing by. Even if Ruby the Multi-Faceted (level 12 Eldritch Knight) is wandering through town, the vast majority of her interactions will be as a normal person. That she could level the town if she really wanted to is not something that matters, since she pretty much never does. (And if a high-level evil character does that, then they quickly draw the attention of equal-level heroes, who deal with the situation.)

Really, it's a lot like the Marvel Universe - you don't need to regulate mutants, because they police themselves.

GSHamster

Adventurer
How would you stop them?

If you can't stop them from causing a disturbance in town, you can't stop them from simply walking around. In fact, by trying to stop them entering, you might trigger the very disturbance you are seeking to avoid.

I think the best strategy for dealing with adventures is to first treat them as though they are normal, and hope that they follow the regular norms of behavior. If they don't behave, the best policy is probably appeasement, and give them whatever they want until they go away or you can summon someone powerful enough to deal with them (the local lord, etc.).

Lalato

Adventurer
Are you specifically talking about the scenario where high-level adventurers are common? Because I figure that, for the most part, high-level characters are too rare to have a significant impact, just from passing by. Even if Ruby the Multi-Faceted (level 12 Eldritch Knight) is wandering through town, the vast majority of her interactions will be as a normal person. That she could level the town if she really wanted to is not something that matters, since she pretty much never does. (And if a high-level evil character does that, then they quickly draw the attention of equal-level heroes, who deal with the situation.)

Really, it's a lot like the Marvel Universe - you don't need to regulate mutants, because they police themselves.

You're right... in the fiction of the D&D universe this is true. Or at least that's how we typically play it at the table. But I'm not talking about how it gets played at the table. Most people in your typical D&D town don't have giant battle axes strapped to their backs. So when someone comes into town loaded for bear it will likely be quite intimidating... unless the culture has evolved to accept these sorts of people walking around.

What I'm asking is how would a culture evolve to either accept these adventurers or mitigate the problems they represent so that people in a small town could sleep better at night. According to most versions of D&D, adventurers are kind of rare to begin with. Magic, outside of some settings, is supposed to be rare to the common townsfolk. In such a world, what happens when a 1st Level Wizard wanders into town. How about a 5th level adventuring party that looks seasoned and ready for action?

How do people and their communities deal with the idea of Druids or magical Bards? How would the culture evolve around the idea that someone could just one day express their magical talents by blowing up the town square with a fireball? Making the town matron grow a beard that one time was funny, but everyone stops laughing when you kill a dozen people at the market.

What I'm asking is how would a culture evolve to either accept these adventurers or mitigate the problems they represent so that people in a small town could sleep better at night. According to most versions of D&D, adventurers are kind of rare to begin with. Magic, outside of some settings, is supposed to be rare to the common townsfolk. In such a world, what happens when a 1st Level Wizard wanders into town. How about a 5th level adventuring party that looks seasoned and ready for action?
If it's rare enough, then the townsfolk won't even notice it. There's no way to tell a level 1 Wizard with a staff from an old guy with a walking stick, unless he starts doing magic. If something is doing magic, then I imagine the normal response is to either run away or try to kill it. (Rule #1 of arcane magic: Do not cast spells where you might be seen.)

I would imagine that clerical magic would be different, though. Since clerics have to follow the ideals of the relevant deity, and since priests tend to be trusted figures within the community, then you know that the lady brandishing the sun disk isn't going to (intentionally) burn down the town.

And of course, a level 5 Fighter doesn't necessarily look any different than a level 1 town guard. They probably even shop at the same place. As long as they don't do anything to attract attention, they should be fine. Although, wearing plate armor is bound to give you some strange looks, since it's a huge advertisement of your wealth (and likely nobility).

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I think "how do you stop them" is the basic answer here. And if they become a nuisance, other adventurers will decide to kill them for the price on their heads and all their magic items.

More globally, A Magical Medieval Society: Western Europe does a great job at looking at how D&Disms would deform the "realistic" medieval world. It uses 3E numerical assumptions, but unless you have a bunch of historians or statisticians in your group, no one's likely to notice.

I would go so far as to say it's all but a must-have for DMs running typical D&D campaigns.

ephemeron

Explorer
This is an area where I like to take inspiration from Westerns (or samurai movies, if you prefer :)).

When somebody who is dangerous, and famous for being dangerous, comes to town, some of the locals will hide, some will try to ingratiate themselves, and maybe a reckless individual or two will try to test themselves against the legend. And the local authorities might fall into any of these categories.

Things will be different in real cities, not least because those will have other people with levels in character classes, but adventurers in my games tend to spend most of their time on the fringes of civilization and beyond.

Andor

First Post
I don't think there is a single answer. It depends on the town, it's history and the adventurers in question.

A large city generally won't care about anyone short of an Elminster.

A trade town is going to see enough traffic to have evolved appropriate responses. Which generally means jogging up the prices and pointing them at local trouble. If they cause problems there will be a coordinated response involving whatever the local resources are. Probably including the rest of the adventurers passing though town.

A small towns response will depend more on the exact circumstances. One plagued by orcs will probably react poorly to a half-Orc barbarian, a drow necromancer, and Dragonling Bat-paladin. One without local troubles will probably think an eleven illusionist, dwarf monk and human Cleric to be the next best thing to a circus.

Speaking of circuses, an angry elephant is more than capable of wrecking a small town, but who worries about that when they see colorful wagons?

Likewise IRL any truck could be carrying a fertilizer bomb capable of leveling a skyscraper, but to "logically" insist on examining every passing lorry would cripple society. Life involves taking risks, including living with armed people, trucks which could be bombs, and for many in Italy, Japan and Mexico City, living on or next to active volcanos.

Yeah, the bearded guy might blow up the town square, or you could be eaten by a bulette the next time you step off of a paved surface. So what? You can't worry about every possibility or you'll never get out of bed, and then you die from bed sores.

As for small towns dealing with Adventurers? Poison. Bribes. Or give them what they want and pray. For a historical parallel look up an old film called "The last valley" starring Omar Sherrif and Michael Caine.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
It all comes down to your setting. Some town would offer up the welcome wagon, others the people would hide, others the law would be watching. My games, some towns cause the characters to hide. Think about what the town's income and what the people do for a living, mining towns and border towns are rough places, farm towns not.

Celebrim

Legend
In another thread I mentioned that the existence of adventurers would probably change how towns and villages interact with them. I mean... would you want people that could literally kill everyone you know without a lot of effort roaming around your town square? Probably not. Maybe over time the culture would change in obvious and non-obvious ways.

Yes, though I should first say that 'adventurer' is not a recognized profession in my world. The closest equivalent to adventurer as you use the word is 'mercenary' or 'sellsword'. Adventurer as D&D players use the word carries the connotation of hero or problem solver, and is positive in the way that the English word 'Knight' is (and not in the negative way that Ritter is in German). The word adventurer isn't in common parlance in my world. You'd never say, "We should hire adventurers." To the extent that the word is used, it means the same as the modern 'tourist'. An adventurer is a wealthy dilettante that explores the world at his leisure, and this sort of figure is as suspect as he is romantic - the idle rich, a sort of rich vagrant. 'Vacation' is not a word that would be readily understood either, nor would 'holiday' outside of its connotation of a 'holy day'. Life is too brutal for long vacancies from ones employment without cause.

So mostly the PC's in my game are either considered to be mercenaries or else actually are mercenaries. This both simplifies and complicates travel.

Most PC's begin the game without noble rank. As such they may or may not be entitled to carry weapons depending on the starting nation. Or their rights to carry weapons may be limited. In Hulshen only nobles can carry swords. In Talernga the only weapon a citizen is permitted to carry in the street without a license is a sword. Most PC's begin as citizens of a city, and so have papers indicating their residency and the rights that go with it. However, even if they have the right to possess weapons for their defense in the city, that generally doesn't extend to traipsing over the countryside armed. Armed individuals on the road will often be assumed to be bandits, and diplomacy checks/reaction rolls are in order if a patrol of the guard or a knight of the road finds an armed company moving on the road without permit.

There are several common exemptions. Nobles, clergy, and laity in the direct service of a temple generally have rights to go armed, and staves and knives are generally over looked as weapons unless the guard is feeling particularly abusive. So a good early excuse is that the group are all retainers of whatever cleric or knight happens to be in the party (if any). Once the group has a bit of money they can generally organize themselves as an official mercenary company under the protection of the local lord, and travel about and hire themselves out without getting in trouble (provided they pay their taxes). Also in more rural and wilderness areas, these laws tend to be rather laxly kept as people need to defend themselves from bandits in cases where the law doesn't have sufficient presence to do so.

Regardless of their ability to travel, getting into another city is an entirely different matter. They will be challenged and need to present papers identifying themselves, and explain their business in the city. They will likely have their goods subject to inspection, and certainly will if they have baggage, carts, mules, or a train of horses. As mercenaries, they may be forbidden to enter the city at all unless a good reputation proceeds them or they are here on business from some authority figure the locals respect. Or they may be restricted to only a certain number entering the city and then unarmed. Of course, if the city happens to be in great need, mercenaries on the other hand might be just the thing.

Wizards are special circumstance everywhere. By common law, wizards of any rank are entitled to honorifics - Your Potency. In practice, if you insist on your honorific though, you better be a darn good wizard - by which I mean some unthinkably high level like 5th or 6th. ;) They also have rights to privacy and dignity normal travelers don't - you don't paw through a wizard's baggage! On the other hand, they absolutely MUST declare themselves to the guard and register when arriving in the city. Failure to do so is generally punishable by death. A wizard cannot legally conceal his ability. In many places they must adopt dress that unmistakably identifies them as a wizard at a distance. A city will not bar entry to an unknown wizard. Ever. It's too risky. They may plot his death when he falls asleep, attempt to drug him, or otherwise plan subtle murder but they aren't going to risk a wizard's curse by denying him hospitality.

Clerics are likewise a special circumstance. Generally speaking, for similar reasons, no city ever bars entry of a cleric - it's not worth risking angering some god. However, in general, the rights of a cleric who is not a servant of one of the 6-20 official divine patrons of the city which the city officially supports and engages in communal worship and offerings to are rather limited. In most cases, you aren't allowed to spread 'an alien doctrine' to a city. Trying to win converts will get you politely shown the door by some Templars at best, and executed by the cities' existing clergy at worst. If you want to openly preach your faith, you need the approval of the city. In most cases, by custom however a cleric is allowed to beg for his substance and bless those that give. In a few cases though, hostility between two sects is so great that there exists basically an ecclesiastical war between the followers of two deities. If you go into a town where your rivals sect is openly supported, they'll nod at you politely but you are basically declaring war on the local temple and they will respond in kind. Your death (our theirs) will be considered to be a matter between the gods and not really a matter falling under the cities jurisdiction.

Presently, the PC party has one player that obtained noble rank in play. He previously had some freedom to go about armed as a Templar of the Order Hospitallers of Aravar, but now as Sir Gorinthar, Templar of the Order Hospitallers of Aravar, Knight of Amalteen, famed dragon slayer and rumored saint he has considerable freedom. He could pretty much say something like, "I'm on a sacred quest. Stand aside and leave me to my business.", and most people would do so - though they'd send word up the chain of command concerning the unusual behavior. Likewise, the party cleric has obtained the robes of a full priestess of Showna, and is properly addressed Reverend Mother. Since she has the favor of the High Priestess, if she really wanted to challenge authority she probably could do so - no one really wants to see Showna upset. The other party members are basically free agents, but society treats them as variously the retainers of Sir Gorinthar (or perhaps his Gentlemen-in-waiting or Gentlemen in Arms), or retainers of His Potency Master Aden of Amalteen, or of His Excellency Falster Dikelgard, the Most Benevolent Despot, Sovereign Prince of Amalteen on the assumption that they must be somebodies servants. As such, they inherit some measure of the authority and respect of whatever person its presumed is actually commanding them - even though the reality is they've basically been told 'you are on your own'. And finally, since the party is known to have been shown the favor of Their Majesties, the Hurin and Hinga of Talernga, there is a general assumption by everyone of low rank that these are Important People and its best to show some diffidence and give them the benefit of the doubt.

It's not always been like that.

And if they were to leave and come back with about twice as many levels, it wouldn't be long before everybody was deferring to them out or respect or fear or both.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases