What makes Great Weapon Master and Sharpshooter so good?

CapnZapp

Legend
I think we're veering dangerously close to relativistic nothingness.

In fact, many if not most people denouncing the worth of these feats severely underestimate their minmaxing potential. So many posters bringing out detailed math that just from a quick look completely miss the hardcore combinations that bring the feats up to a whole other level.

And then you have the fundamental notion that offense means you get to choose (which enemy dies first). What defense means, is that the enemy is given the choice to ignore your greatest asset. In short: by skipping your impervious behemoth, they're attacking the weakest link.

So even before we go into specifics, of course offense is going to carry the day! It's comparing Panzers to the Maginot line.

Now, if D&D had offered a robust aggro system then I could have seen a point. If defensive tanks were given the power to control the actions of enemies. But it doesn't. It just does not. (There is experiments with token abilities but nothing that really approximates the power of the World of Warcraft Warrior main battle tank)

This means that: sure, if you have a DM that is sympathetic to your build, then yes, how lovely to see the goblins faff about ineffectually at your AC 26 mountain fortress of a character.

But this build will always be incredibly vulnerable to opponents that walk around that fortress.

In stark - very stark - contrast you have the optimized killers that leave every other fighter build in the dust. Each time you kill a foe a round earlier you're saving twice as many attacks against your side. A dead enemy can't choose to ignore your high AC and go for the squishies.

And I really am having trouble taking the detractors seriously. If offense meant that you got perhaps one point of attack value or two points of damage for a point of defense, then again: maybe you do have a point.

But D&D doesn't keep that balance. It features feats that blow you out of the water. The damage potential of an attack that otherwise might be 1d12+7 becomes 1d12+17. Times three or five each round! A huge huge increase! And it thinks that the penalty will counteract that; completely missing the feats' greatest power:

The player is in control, and can choose to not use the feats. This means that every time you bring up a player using the feats wrong, your argument is irrelevant, because nobody has ever claimed they're powerful in the hands of the inept.

Instead, they're absolutely ghastly in terms of intra-build balance in the hands of mathematically proficient players who know what they're doing.

That they're wasted on the average gamer is not a good thing - in fact I consider it another black mark against them. I think that "too-difficult" design is bad design, and a feat that makes you take bad decisions is a bad feat indeed.

But again: the main damage these feats are doing is the way they're saying: "forget about being a cool lethal killer with your throwing knives or with your spear, because compared to the greataxe guy, you simply are not".

Sure, they overturn balance and make monsters look wimpy, but that's not the greatest damage - the main issue is that if you like to contribute to the death of your enemies, these feats severely restricts your choice of weapon, reducing variety and lessening the fun of the game.

It boils down to this:

Some campaigns don't worry about damage, and combat isn't a centrepiece. Some campaigns don't feature a minmaxing player. In lots of campaigns these feats are not a problem, because they're not utilized to their full extent, or because their power (=DPR) isn't valued highly.

But errataing the feats would not change that. These campaigns would just be as happy with fixed feats.

And there's the rub. There are other campaigns, where these feats are absolutely devastating. You simply must use them or fall behind helplessly. These are the campaigns which would greatly benefit from official fixes.

And so every campaign would be better off (or indifferent to) improving these feats, and that is why they obviously should be fixed.

Had there been a group of campaigns that actively would be hurt by bringing these feats in line, then maybe there would be a credible argument against fixing them. But there isn't.

And so: resisting fixing these feats boil down to "they're not a problem for me, so I rather not errata my books".

And that's a reprehensible stance to take, and I detest it. Just fix these feats already, and the game will be better off for everybody.

Thank you

Last edited:

pemerton

Legend
That they're wasted on the average gamer is not a good thing - in fact I consider it another black mark against them. I think that "too-difficult" design is bad design, and a feat that makes you take bad decisions is a bad feat indeed.
I agree with this. It's the same reason I didn't like the design of Power Attack in 3E.

It's a purely mechanical oddity of D&D that it has both an attack roll and a damage roll. (Contrast, say, HARP or Burning Wheel which have only a single roll; or Rolemaster as an intermediate case because there is a crit roll but the crit table is determined by attack success.)

Hence these "penalty to hit, bonus to damage" feats are purely playing games within the mathematical space that that rules oddity gives rise to. They don't have any distinctive correlation to the fiction. (A feat that gave a flat bonus to damage, or a flat bonus to hit, would have the same fictional correlation.)

And the maths is a potential trap for new players while allowing others to exploit it.

Had there been a group of campaigns that actively would be hurt by bringing these feats in line, then maybe there would be a credible argument against fixing them. But there isn't.
I don't agree with this. I think there is a group of campaigns - or, rather, a type of play experience - that these feats are serving. They allow new/inexperienced players to have the experience of finding a way to get an attack buff, or advantage, or whatever, and then doing lots of damage. For someone who experiences that as a moment of lucky, or clever, play - but who hasn't routinised it in the way the mathematically proficient player has - the feat has given something to their game. It's the fighter-player's equivalent of the first time someone realised, in their AD&D game, that Transmute Rock to Mud could be used on the ceiling rather than the floor.

I'm not saying this is a reason the feats are well-designed - I'm neutral on that point, and I can see that they're poorly designed for your purposes. I'm just saying that this is a valuable play experience that I think these feats are providing.

5ekyu

Hero
I think we're veering dangerously close to relativistic nothingness.

In fact, many if not most people denouncing the worth of these feats severely underestimate their minmaxing potential. So many posters bringing out detailed math that just from a quick look completely miss the hardcore combinations that bring the feats up to a whole other level.

And then you have the fundamental notion that offense means you get to choose (which enemy dies first). What defense means, is that the enemy is given the choice to ignore your greatest asset. In short: by skipping your impervious behemoth, they're attacking the weakest link.

So even before we go into specifics, of course offense is going to carry the day! It's comparing Panzers to the Maginot line.

Now, if D&D had offered a robust aggro system then I could have seen a point. If defensive tanks were given the power to control the actions of enemies. But it doesn't. It just does not. (There is experiments with token abilities but nothing that really approximates the power of the World of Warcraft Warrior main battle tank)

This means that: sure, if you have a DM that is sympathetic to your build, then yes, how lovely to see the goblins faff about ineffectually at your AC 26 mountain fortress of a character.

But this build will always be incredibly vulnerable to opponents that walk around that fortress.

In stark - very stark - contrast you have the optimized killers that leave every other fighter build in the dust. Each time you kill a foe a round earlier you're saving twice as many attacks against your side. A dead enemy can't choose to ignore your high AC and go for the squishies.

And I really am having trouble taking the detractors seriously. If offense meant that you got perhaps one point of attack value or two points of damage for a point of defense, then again: maybe you do have a point.

But D&D doesn't keep that balance. It features feats that blow you out of the water. The damage potential of an attack that otherwise might be 1d12+7 becomes 1d12+17. Times three or five each round! A huge huge increase! And it thinks that the penalty will counteract that; completely missing the feats' greatest power:

The player is in control, and can choose to not use the feats. This means that every time you bring up a player using the feats wrong, your argument is irrelevant, because nobody has ever claimed they're powerful in the hands of the inept.

Instead, they're absolutely ghastly in terms of intra-build balance in the hands of mathematically proficient players who know what they're doing.

But again: the main damage these feats are doing is the way they're saying: "forget about being a cool lethal killer with your throwing knives or with your spear, because compared to the greataxe guy, you simply are not".

Sure, they overturn balance and make monsters look wimpy, but that's not the greatest damage - the main issue is that if you like to contribute to the death of your enemies, these feats severely restricts your choice of weapon, reducing variety and lessening the fun of the game.

It boils down to this:

Some campaigns don't worry about damage, and combat isn't a centrepiece. Some campaigns don't feature a minmaxing player. In lots of campaigns these feats are not a problem, because they're not utilized to their full extent, or because their power (=DPR) isn't valued highly.

But errataing the feats would not change that. These campaigns would just be as happy with fixed feats.

And there's the rub. There are other campaigns, where these feats are absolutely devastating. You simply must use them or fall behind helplessly. These are the campaigns which would greatly benefit from official fixes.

And so every campaign would be better off (or indifferent to) improving these feats, and that is why they obviously should be fixed.

And so: resisting fixing these feats boil down to "they're not a problem for me, so I rather not errata my books".

And that's a reprehensible stance to take, and I detest it. Just fix these feats already, and the game will be better off for everybody.

Thank you
This completely fails for me when the idea that damage as calculated under simple situations correlates to offensive output in more complex cases.

Nothing in these feats or these optimized dpr white rooms gives control or choice over who dies first. Nothing.

How well does that offense white room matter once fog cloud prevents any attack roll advantage? How much choice of who dies first does gwm give you in difficult terrain against an enemy whose mobility feats/features let them get more "attack actions" than the gwm guy gets? How much choice of who dies first does the gwm guy get once grappled or who needs dex saves to move thru to get to them? How good is it as far as who dies first to step arpund the high dc guy if they are healing the others, or maintaining spirit guards and spirit weapon and outputting a lot of damage over a number of targets with swap to healing.

Control and counters carry the day *in more cases more often* in my experience than theortical outputs against hit point sacks and a goid number of the "passed over" feats and builds play to those aspects.

But i do find the reference to vid game aggro interesting.

My take is that the focus and over-valuing off maximized white room damage output vs excel sheets seems to me to derive a lot from vid game boss fights where your tank aggros the boss (often in place) while the damage dealers can wail away. Where often you hit flat out dps tests like death clocks that put the conflict into a damage race once the boss hits x%.

Dps is a lot more meaningful *to success" in those games where its basically built and designed to make it so. But even there, change the circumstances and not so much. Take a dps build optimized for group play assuming tank and healer support into solo challenges and its not uncommon for bad results to apply.

Coroc

Hero
[MENTION=6775031]Saelorn[/MENTION] [MENTION=12731]CapnZapp[/MENTION] I think you both exagerate a bit, Saelorn, when you state that in your campaign the GWM got a good Magic greatsword, making him theoretically even better at what he should do best, but otoh stating that now the more a shield wearer would be more use of the Party, why is that so? Do you Count Magic weaponry as a + on secret intimmidation rolls?

And Capn no one denounces the context! - related value of These feats. Still a +2 to your main Attribute is valuable also and it is of use in many more situations. Unless the Party always survives or has infinite methods of resurrection the GWM out dpr the rest of the gang but dying every Encounter is no gain for the Group.

Otoh [MENTION=6795602]FrogReaver[/MENTION] s table a few Posts up clearly Show the trend: GWM (and SS) the active -5/+10 part, it is best versus low AC. And that is relatively independant of mob Level because of BA (ok it will get shifted a bit with higher Levels) At Level 1 doing +10 vs a goblin who instantly perishes is impressive. At higher Levels whether you take out 17 or 27 of the 400 HP Dragon is no big gain, more important is to take it out somehow before he hits the Party with his breath weapon for a devastating 3rd time. And in that Scenario a defensive fighter rules.

I did not Analyse exactly what fighter / barbarian build is the base for Frogs table but it does not matter since it is a General rule solely based on statistics.

Again, you can neither reliable count in Advantage or even bless every fight. If any of those two is a constant resource then your DM is doing it wrong.
And even if it is a constant resource, it only shifts the numbers, either it would also be effective for the defensive fighter making him hit better also or it would free capacity of the cleric e.g. who can now use his concentration for another goodie, thereby improving the Overall dpr of the Group.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer

I think that's probably the most interesting (and controversial) take in this thread. I certainly think the preponderance of evidence over the last 4 years has been that these are overall a little too strong. (I don't see any threads, anywhere, about the feats being terrible and not worth taking.)

But you're saying something stronger. Basically, that there's a moral imperative for the community to push for iteration in the system in some manner (errata, new books, an official Sage Advice, a change in AL rules, etc.) when the rules are deemed imbalanced. "Reprehensible" isn't a word you use for actions you're not taking a moral stance on. You're also saying that WotC has that same moral imperative to adjust the metagame in a more balanced direction via official recognition.

Oofta

Legend
LOL. Two threads basically arguing the same thing.

And here I thought the point of the game was to do a build that I have fun playing, whether or not it eeked out the last two percent points of damage while ignoring all other aspects. Guess I'm just playing the game wrong.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
LOL. Two threads basically arguing the same thing.

And here I thought the point of the game was to do a build that I have fun playing, whether or not it eeked out the last two percent points of damage while ignoring all other aspects. Guess I'm just playing the game wrong.

Or other people define fun a bit differently than you. But go ahead and disparage them through sarcasm. That's typically more acceptable than calling them dirty poo poo head power gamers I suppose.

hawkeyefan

Legend
I’ve been involved in the other thread, which I figured was enough for this topic, but I do want to just jump in here and say that I don’t think that any stance I’ve ever seen anyone take here on EN World, no matter how much I may disagree with them, would be something I’d ever describe as “reprehensible”.

Labeling opinions about RPG game design as reprehensible is just flat out ridiculous.

Oofta

Legend
Or other people define fun a bit differently than you. But go ahead and disparage them through sarcasm. That's typically more acceptable than calling them dirty poo poo head power gamers I suppose.

Good grief. I can't have an opinion? Of course play how you want. I just get tired of the whining "D&D doesn't meet my ideal of perfectly balanced so therefore it's hopelessly broken". I don't so much care as I just get tired of the same thing on endless spin cycle. We've had thousands of posts on multiple threads about this.

Want to chase after the ultimate DPR? Go for it! But if there was an official modification that (for example) gave two-weapon fighters 0.5% more damage than GWM, some people would just be complain because they have to play a two-weapon fighter and their GWM just can't compete any more.

There will always be a handful of builds that will shine in one aspect of the game or another. It's inevitable unless you change the basic dynamics of the game like 4E tried to do.

But it's just a game. A game that is easily tweaked and modified to suit the desires of the players and DMs. Want an option for making that [insert build X] fighter "equal" to the GWM? Discuss it with your DM and figure out how to make that happen. Decrease the potential of GWM or increase the potential of [insert build X]. There have been many, many ideas given on how to do it. Which are all ignored because they aren't "official" and hence the endless spin cycle. :yawn:

Hey. I am still waiting for the rest of your analysis. I come to a bit different damage (19.25) against AC 11 for -5/+10 with advantage with great sword and bonus action attack.
I wanted to remind you that the bonus action is already used for entering rage as well as the bersetker extra attack. So I think you should exclude it in your analysis. One reason why I chose barbarian. The other one was that you can easily gain self sustained advantage. I wanted an analysis for the feat where it realistically is weighted against +2 Str. After that it would be stupid to not take the feat as damage dealer althougj a barbarian can also profit from dex and con.

Remove ads