The Long Arm of Lauto:Broken Wards (DM:Ukingsken)

Brain

First Post
Vixo sees the door and advances to the front with the others.

"Let me have a look at this door before we go in. I have a knack with traps and locks."

[sblock=ooc]perception to check the door for traps or notice stuff about the door, determine if it is locked or barred. (1d20+7=13)[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]
Vixo - Male Kobold Rogue 2
Passive Perception:17, Passive Insight:12, Senses: Normal
AC:17, Fortitude:14, Reflex:17, Will:12 -- Speed:6, Size: Small
HP: 33/33, Bloodied 16, Surge Value 8, Surges left 9/9
Action Points: 1, Second Wind: not used
Current status effects: none
Powers -
Shifty (Minor action shift 1) [Kobold Racial]
Deft Strike [Rogue 1]
Riposte Strike [Rogue 1]

Dazing Strike[Rogue 1]
Multiclass Fighter Power [Student of the Sword Feat]

Blinding Barrage [Rogue 1]
Sneak in the Attack [Rogue 2]
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Vixo sees the door and advances to the front with the others.

"Let me have a look at this door before we go in. I have a knack with traps and locks."

"Yes, Vixo...understood. No need to take damage due to a trapped door. If the door is trapped, I'm sure you'll find it."

Grakk curses to himself for not thinking of that in the first place. He then channels his anger into more productive uses as he prepares for what mystery awaits them from behind the door.

[sblock=ooc]
sorry for all of the posts...I have a bit of free time right now. Back to work on Monday though. I'll be sure to level off the posting once I'm back to work...well...I'll try to limit the posting to once a day...how about twice a day ;)
[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Magnus paced back and forth agitatedly, mumbling to himself while the others worked on the door.

[sblock=ooc]

Nothing much to add at this point, just posting to be active. :)

[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
Both Vixo and Kamotz hear chanting coming from the other side of the door. It's tempo seems to match that of the pulsing runes, and as they listen for a moment it begins to pick up, building toward some sort of crescendo. The door itself appears to be unlocked, but is definitely barred/blockaded from the other side.

As Grakk and the others stand nearby watching them work with the door, they notice that the pulsing of the runes has increased and a light of similar colour is spilling out around the seams of the door, flashing and flickering intermittently.

[sblock=Posting] Never apologise for being extra active :p We all have those days. Unfortunately my default setting is currently equipped with Dial-Up internet so I am sometimes limited to minimal posting. However be certain I really appreciate that you all show enough interest to want more then minimal posts :D Bash away![/sblock]

Last edited:

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
"We need to get in there before they finish. C'mon, Grakk, let's get this door open! Put your shoulder into it!"

With that, Vrrsk't sets himself to kick the door as Grakk charges into it. Unfortunately, Vrrsk't mis-judges the size of the goliath and doesn't give him enough room to plow into the door cleanly. Grakk inadvertently knocks into the dragonborn on his way to the door and Vrrsk't misses the door completely.

[sblock=OOC]
Strength check to Aid Another (Grakk) on getting the door open:
1d20+4=9

yeahhh... so, 9 isn't quite 10... :/

Sorry to assume Grakk's action... if you don't try to bash the door down, I'll retcon my post to make it make sense. :)
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=Vrrsk't]
No problem at all. Let's get this encounter started!
[/sblock]

Grakk, lifts himself off the dragonboran and then lends him a hand to get up as well. "Let's try this one more time". With a mighty push...

[sblock=ooc]
grakk: Strength check 1d20 (bashing in the door) = 9

aghhhh!
[/sblock]

"Uuuuuggghhhh!" Grakk hits the door with a thud but the door still holds. Pausing for a second to gain his wits, he states: "Well, there goes the element of surprise. I don't know what they have on the otherside of that door. But whatever it is, I can't seem to budge it." Obviously upset, he kicks the ground in frustration.

He then chuckles and states to the palidan: "Vrrsk't, I'd be extremely embarrassed if one of the others opened the door while we could not. I don't think we'd ever live that one down."

He then steps asside to give the others a try.

[sblock=Grakk's Stats]
Grakk: Goliath Barbarian: Level 1
Adverse Conditions: None
Initiative: +2
Passive Insight: 10
Passive Perception: 15
Senses Normal: Vision
HP 33, Bloodied 16
Surge Value 8; Surges Per-Day 13
AC =16
Fortitude 16 Reflex 13 Will 11 Speed 6
action Points:1
second wind: Not Used
basic attack: Greatsword: To Hit: +7: Damage 1d10+6
Powers
At will: Recuporating Strike, Devastating Strike
Encounter: Avalanche Strike, Stone's Endurance
Daily Standard: Bloodhunt Rage
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Magnus suddenly stopped his pacing and looked up at the immense door that blocked their path.

Break the door...smash the ward...cross the threshold...

He moved to the door as he spoke. Putting his hand on it he felt of its surface. With one blunt rough finger he traced a spiraling mark on the door, leaving a shimmering trail in its wake. Magnus considered his handiwork for a moment then stepped back. As he faced the door he brought his staff down so that the butt hit the ground with a resounding blow, setting all the keys jingling on it. The metallic ring of the keys grew into a horribly cacophonous, minding bending noise that rolled over the door and caused the air to shudder.

[sblock=Things man was not meant to know]

Prestidigitation on the mark on the door for a a little flair

Cast Thunderwave (Push 3) on the door a couple of times, if it can shove a gargantuan back a few paces maybe it can push the door open wide enough for us to slip through.

Here's a couple rolls if you need them.
Thunderwave: Int vs Fort (1d20+5=16)
Thunder Damage (1d6+5=6)

Thunderwave: Int vs Fort (1d20+5=9)
Thunder Damage (1d6+5=8)

[/sblock]
[sblock=ministats]Magnus Madiron- Male Dwarven Wizard 1
Initiative: +0, Passive Perception: 13, Passive Insight: 18, Senses: Low-light
AC:15, Fort:12, Reflex:14, Will:15 -- Speed:5
HP:25/25, Bloodied:12, Surge Value:6, Surges left:8/8
Action Points: 1
Powers -
Cloud of Daggers
Thunderwave

Grasping Shadows
Staff of Defense
Second Wind

Flaming Sphere

Conditions:

Full character sheet[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Grakk is stunned. His jaw wide open as he stares at the wizard as he works his magic on the door. To Vrrsk't: "If he opens that door, I'll never underestimate the power of wizards again." He then draws his sword and steps into a battlestance as he prepares to charge into the room.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
Watching the Pack in action and, chuckling at the comedy in the catacombs, Kamotz watches, and walks away, as the wizard attempts to force open the doors. Magnus finishes chanting, and as quick as a scared skunk, Kamotz rushes the door, thinking back to when he did the same to a portal...

Jumping at the last moment Kamotz extends his feet toward the door along with the butt of his scythe. Landing and immediately taking in the area for a faster way in, not realizing the door may already be open...

[sblock=OOC]10 athletics to bust down door.
10 perception to find a window or other way in.

[/sblock]

ukingsken

First Post
As Magnus sends several booming walls of force slamming into the door it jumps back several feet with the first attempt, and then flies open banging against the wall with a resounding crash and swinging back just in time for Kamotz to catch it with his flying kick.

Almost the same instant as Kamotz lands, a brilliant flash of purple, bruise colored radiance explodes from inside the room blinding you all momentarily. When the spots clear from your vision you can take in the whole room.

The sheer size of the crypt is mind boggling. From the doorway it stretches back nearly 200 feet, and is nearly as wide from side to side. From the doorway pairs of cracked pillars line a promenade across the floor toward a massive marble staircase which rises 10 feet to an altar. The altar itself is a strange white marble veined with a jet black stone you do not recognize and bears the typical accoutrements of Lauto's church.

Resting in midair above the altar, and now emitting a sickly violet hued radiance is the scepter. The glow is slowly expanding, already pushing against the walls. Scattered around the room you see 16 ornate sarcophugi, 2 larger sarcophugi at the far end of the room, as well as hundreds of smaller burial shelves built into the raised platforms that box in the pillared walkway.

Standing at the foot of the stairs, back turned, is what can only be Slardazial. Contrary to his derisive nickname he strikes a rather imposing figure. Standing nigh on 6'5 and of obvious Orcish lineage, Slardazial has two prominent tusks protruding from his mouth. He seems to be addressing the two largest sarcophugi at the far end of the crypt.

You will all cower in his presence. When the dead walk again they will pave his way in the blood of the living. Zal'Ekthees will return and I will be his exarch upon this plane! With legions of faithful undead, no more shall I weather the prattling of useless sycophants who besmirch me simply because of my lineage.

"Slardy do those tusks do anything other then attract female boars?" or "Hey Barf-fast why don't you get out of here before you scare the children!" We'll see how those useless excuses for priests feel when they're blood is the nectar served at my table.

Suddenly noticing the bang of the door, Slardazial turns to face you. His eyes lock on Kamotz with an almost feral joy. He flexes his fists, one hand grasping a wand carved of a strange red material that seems to undulate in his hand.

Belingras sent you?! He's too late that doddering old fool! I've already completed the ritual and its just a matter of time now before the wards in this entire district are corrupted!! But since he was so gracious to send you my way perhaps I'll show you the earliest fruits of my Labor!

Hands raised above his head, violet energy shimmers along the length of the scepter and shoots to slardy's hands before slamming into the small burial shelves lining the walls and staggering you all. As the energy pours out of the scepter the spreading radiance shrinks noticeably before resuming its steady creep outward. As the rest of the party jumbles into the room, 3 of the bodies rise from there shelves along with what appear to be three large preserved dogs and 2 spirits.

Blood has not been spilt on Daunton in his name since before the exile. This is a great honour for you! hahahaha.

Slardazial degenerates into fitful laughter, his teeth and tusks grinding together and cutting his lips creating a crimsom foam around the corners of his mouth.

[sblock=Map] On the map the blue circle represents Kamotz. The rest of you should indicate which color you are. Forgive my crude map, if you could just give me your movements in N/S & E/W that would be great.

The 3 Teal squares represent the dogs, the 2 Sickly yellow squares are fleshy corpses with claws, the 2 green squares are spirits, the brown square is a bloated corpse that has begun to ooze viscuous fluids and regenerate much of its flesh since being animated, and last but not least the red square with X is Slardazial.

Map can be seen Here Sorry for the low resolution, hopefully you can all read it.[/sblock]

[sblock=Initiative]Enemy Rolls Player Rolls

Clawed Corpse N
Clawed Corpse S
Dog NW
Spirit N
Vixo HP:33/33 Surges:9/9 (8) AP:1 Def:17/14/17/12 SW:Unused
Morvannon HP:27/27 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused
Magnus HP:25/25 Surges:8/8 (6) AP:1 Def:15/12/14/15 SW:Unused
Spirit E
Slardazial
Kamotz HP:26/26 Surges:9/9 (6) AP:1 Def:17/14/10/16 SW:Unused
Grakk HP:33/33 Surges:13/13 (8) AP:1 Def:16/16/13/11 SW:Unused