Pathfinder 2 Character Sheet #3: Valeros, Human Fighter

It's another day, and you know what that means? It's time for the third of our six reveals of the Pathfinder 2nd Edition pregenerated playtest characters, courtesy the awesome folks over at Paizo. Today it's the turn of Valeros, the human fighter. A little more straightforward than the previous alchemist and cleric sheets, in this one you can see the shield mechanics which have been mentioned a few times over the past months.

It's another day, and you know what that means? It's time for the third of our six reveals of the Pathfinder 2nd Edition pregenerated playtest characters, courtesy the awesome folks over at Paizo. Today it's the turn of Valeros, the human fighter. A little more straightforward than the previous alchemist and cleric sheets, in this one you can see the shield mechanics which have been mentioned a few times over the past months.

Here are Paizo's Mark Seifter's thoughts on Valeros -- "So right away from his sketch, you can see something’s different: Valeros has sheathed his shortsword for now and is using his longsword alongside a shield. Of these iconics, Valeros is the king of reactions, the special action you can take when it is not your turn, usually in response to other actions. He has three different possible reactions, Attack of Opportunity to punish enemies when he’s in their face, Reactive Shield to Raise a Shield for AC when he didn’t have enough actions to do so, and Shield Block to prevent damage when he did have enough actions to Raise his Shield. Combine that with the powerful two-action activity Sudden Charge, which allows him to Stride twice his Speed and then attack, and Valeros is a force to be reckoned with on any battlefield, striking down weaker enemies, harrying stronger enemies, and difficult to fell."

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.51.20.png

Screen Shot 2018-07-14 at 10.51.31.png

On Monday, it'll be time to take a look at Seelah, the human paladin!

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Those are descriptive ones too, they just have the word “action” after them. The same way that you can Strike with a longsword or Strike with a mace and both are Strikes, you can Interact with a door and you can Interact with a backpack and both are Interact Actions. You can Operate a smokestick and you can Operate a Cloak of Elvenkind, and both are Operate Actions.

But you do not need "Operate" actions. You can open a door, it costs one action. You can search your backpack, it costs one action. You can use a smokestick, it costs one action. You can use a Potion of Dragons breath, it costs two actions.

Do you need to Action Operate Action a Door when there is a perfectly suitable word for opening a Door already?

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
But you do not need "Operate" actions. You can open a door, it costs one action. You can search your backpack, it costs one action. You can use a smokestick, it costs one action. You can use a Potion of Dragons breath, it costs two actions.

Do you need to Action Operate Action a Door when there is a perfectly suitable word for opening a Door already?

You do if you want other rules to interact with all Operate Actions. You don't need to call opening a door an Operate Action in casual conversation, but having that keyword makes it possible to have rules like "You are Quickened and can use the extra action only to take Operate Actions."

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
You do if you want other rules to interact with all Operate Actions. You don't need to call opening a door an Operate Action in casual conversation, but having that keyword makes it possible to have rules like "You are Quickened and can use the extra action only to take Operate Actions."

My first impression is that it sounds like a way to stop people casting extra spells per round.

Charlaquin

Why would you give everyone three actions that they can use to do anything and then give them Quicken which only lets you do a specific action?

My first impression is to stop you from casting extra spells.

Oh. Yeah, the point of Quickened only allowing you to use certain actions with your extra action is to restrict what actions you can do in one round. Go figure. You really latched onto that one example of rules text referencing a specific type of action, huh?

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Oh. Yeah, the point of Quickened only allowing you to use certain actions with your extra action is to restrict what actions you can do in one round. Go figure. You really latched onto that one example of rules text referencing a specific type of action, huh?

What are you going to cast this round?

Well I was thinking Quicken Action Operation Action 1 but maybe I should heighten it to Quicken Action Operation Action 2 so that I can open the Door and then shut it again.

You mean after you go through?

No, I can only do extra Action Operation Actions I dont get to do any extra Action Stride Actions.

Charlaquin

What are you going to cast this round?

Well I was thinking Quicken Action Operation Action 1 but maybe I should heighten it to Quicken Action Operation Action 2 so that I can open the Door and then shut it again.

You mean after you go through?

No, I can only do extra Action Operation Actions I dont get to do any extra Action Stride Actions.

Or, you know, “I cast haste, then open the door, walk through it, and close it behind me.”
”Do you have enough actions to do all that?”
”Oh, I guess not, since I can’t Stride with that extra action. I’ll just leave the door open then.”
Like a normal human being.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned

Or, you know, “I cast haste, then open the door, walk through it, and close it behind me.”
”Do you have enough actions to do all that?”
”Oh, I guess not, since I can’t Stride with that extra action. I’ll just leave the door open then.”
Like a normal human being.

That really sounds like something that I would say. Oh wait.

Remove ads

Remove ads