D&D 5E List the Third-Party 5th Edition Campaign Settings

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Legally, this seems to me to be ‘fair use’, simply quoting or citing a product.

Legally, it’s governed by a license (the OGL) in which they specifically agreed not to do that. Fair use doesn’t come into it - it’s a contract.

Ethically it is fine, because it encourages sales of the cited product.

Violating agreements is unethical.

Yaarel

He Mage
Legally, it’s governed by a license (the OGL) in which they specifically agreed not to do that. Fair use doesn’t come into it - it’s a contract.

Violating agreements is unethical.

You are right, I was just thinking in the context of trademarks and copyrights.

I forgot to take into account the OGL itself prevents use as part of its contract.

So, to be clear, mentioning the products isnt a trademark violation, per se, it is a breach of contract.

E

Elderbrain

Re: Tal'Dorei campaign setting: Green Ronin must have some kind of agreement with WOTC to use certain things, because it features Goliaths and Genasi (and the Goliaths have two NPC stat blocks in the back of the book). It also mentions D&D, the Feywild and the Shadowfell, the Frostfell (aka the Plane of Ice), the DMG, Draconians (?!?), and a few other such things. The Pantheon of Exandria looks like a combination of the 4e D&D pantheon and a couple of additional FR gods with the names shaved off (i.e. The Matron of Ravens = The Raven Queen, The Ruiner = Gruumsh, etc.) Some of the background details make the identification of some of these hard to deny, for instance The Ruiner losing an eye to the Archeart (Corellon). Since this is Green Ronin and not some fly-by-night company, I assume they must have permission... BTW, are the names of any of the gods used in the Critical Role podcasts? I haven't seen them, so I don't know if the group used the original D&D god-names in their games.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Re: Tal'Dorei campaign setting: Green Ronin must have some kind of agreement with WOTC to use certain things, because it features Goliaths and Genasi (and the Goliaths have two NPC stat blocks in the back of the book). It also mentions D&D, the Feywild and the Shadowfell, the Frostfell (aka the Plane of Ice), the DMG, Draconians (?!?), and a few other such things. The Pantheon of Exandria looks like a combination of the 4e D&D pantheon and a couple of additional FR gods with the names shaved off (i.e. The Matron of Ravens = The Raven Queen, The Ruiner = Gruumsh, etc.) Some of the background details make the identification of some of these hard to deny, for instance The Ruiner losing an eye to the Archeart (Corellon). Since this is Green Ronin and not some fly-by-night company, I assume they must have permission... BTW, are the names of any of the gods used in the Critical Role podcasts? I haven't seen them, so I don't know if the group used the original D&D god-names in their games.

Well, they did produce one of the big adventures for WotC, and they have plenty of history together. I wouldn't be surprised if they have permission to use some trademarks.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I’m a few episodes into the audio podcast and I’ve heard Bahamut’s name pop up.

Bahamut’s a name which predates WotC. And modern civilisation. Doesn’t really apply in this context.

The podcasts aren’t books released under the OGL anyway. You are allowed to say words in public. I can say “I Googled MacDonalds on my iPhone yesterday” until the cows come home.

The rules for books release under the OGL are different, of course.

vegaserik01

First Post
It's from Critical Role and Matthew Mercer, it's kind of the flagship for Twitch and youtube D&D live plays. He uses the D&D gods in the show but had to change them for the setting book. He's worked with Wizards during their Tomb of Annihilation event in June and has done alot for getting D&D out there. The Critical Role fanclub on Facebook has tons of people just starting D&D for the first time because of the show. It's a great show, the campaign has just ended after 115 episodes, and a new campaign will start in January. They will play some one-shots until then as the dm and a player are getting married soon. They're all voice actors and do an amazing job role playing - it's fun to watch and/or listen to - I highly recommend it!

E

Elderbrain

Anyway, the book is quite nice, very professional, and could easily pass for an "official" WOTC product. Glad I bought it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases