D&D 5E [5e] How does my level 4 warlock build look?

rfkannen

Villager
Hiya!

So I was planning my character till level 4, and was wondering if you think I should make any changes! Currently level 2. (we level fairly slowly) Already said im doing tome. Magic items, +1 rod of the pact keeper. equitment: dagger and studded leather armor.

So I am the parties only healer, we do have a debuffing wizard and a battlefield control bard though, and I think I can mostly keep up with my patron feature and cure wounds. Right now we only have 1 character who can fight in melee, the dex based barbarian, so I thought it would be good if I gained some melee power to act as an off melee.

Race tiefling, class warlock, patron celestial, boon tome. inspiring leader feat (dm ruled it stacks with level 10 feature)

stats 5 str, 17 dex, 10 con, 14 int, 11 wis, 20 cha.

class cantrips, eldritch blast, mage hand, true strike (this third one im not sure on.)

race cantrips: thaumaturgy

patron cantrips: sacred flame and light.

pact cantrips: green flame blade(picked over booming blade because of level 6 patron feature adding charisma damage), guidance, spare the dying (not sure if nececary considering I can heal)

Invocations: agonizing blast and book of ancient secrets

1st level spells. Hex, cure wounds, armor of agathys

2nd level spells, lessor restoration, hold person.

racial spell, helish rebuke.

rituals: find familiar, comprehend languages, identify

familiar: owl

So what do you think? Should I change anything?

mellored

Legend
True strike is complete garbage. Anything else is better.

Otherwise, seems fine. I suggest taking repelling blast next, keeping distance can be a good thing to help protect the squishiest. Also useful for pushing someone enemies into a clump for a wizards fireball or bard's hypnotic pattern. Remember you don't have to push if you don't want to.

I would certainly not put this caster in melee. EB is a good damager but in crap armor with crap health and crap weapons and no shield in the front line sounds like not the best idea for the ONLY groups healer.
Id use him as crowd control pelting with the mentioned "repelling blast". Smack everyone that moves toward you and cast away.
Now a paladin or fighter/warlock would be a decent melee idea. Smites or action surge with a warlocks other skills is a great combo.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
The frontline melee / healer roll is really not well served by the warlock. You luckily have ability scores in your important abilities well above what point buy could give you, so you can afford to go for feats. With your patron and feat you will be able to give some healing. As a side note the bard can also make a reasonable off-healer - I'd ask them to pick up some spells as well. Both at least a bit of healing to get you back up if you fall, and spells not on your list that are either on the bard list or can be picked up with magical secrets like revivify.

It sound like you're looking for the higher level celestial features, which are pretty sweet. If that's wrong, paladin could give you more front-liner capability and will also add to healing, though for an action instead of a bonus action so it's not nearly as useful in-combat. Though it can also cure poison or disease.

But really, staying on path of a celestial warlock can give you a good punch, some battlefield control (useful for pushing foes together for the bard to hit more targets with Hypnotic Pattern and the like) as well as supporting your party with temp HPs and healing. Don't spread yourself too thin.

I have a Cleric of War/warlock and he is fun. Level 2 Cleric and warlock. Warlock Smites and just an all around attitude of "Im gonna mess you up".
He uses EB to soften up foes or on ons that he cant reach. I use the invocation that "pulls" the enemy closer per hit. Then turn on the spells/smites and smash them in the face for good measure

neogod22

Explorer
Your party is in serious trouble. Your warlock isn't built for healing. He would be an ok secondary healer like a paladin if would've taken 1lvl of fighter and went Aasimar and pact of the blade. Temp HP don't stack that's a written rule and should not be up for debate, and you shouldn't waste a feat in inspiring leader anyway. If you are gonna stay tome, booming blade is a better option since you should only melee in rare circumstances, and Mobile would definitely be a better feat. You can stab and run, and if the creature chases you, BOOM extra damage. The problem with Warlocks is, they are cantrip casters because of their limited spell slots. Sure you have your dice pool and can provide small healing, but you have no big heals and that is gonna hurt your party in the long run. If you want to heal, be a life cleric. As I stated before, as a warlock, you'll only be good for secondary healing.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

ccs

41st lv DM
Hiya!

So I was planning my character till level 4, and was wondering if you think I should make any changes! Currently level 2. (we level fairly slowly) Already said im doing tome. Magic items, +1 rod of the pact keeper. equitment: dagger and studded leather armor.

So I am the parties only healer, we do have a debuffing wizard and a battlefield control bard though, and I think I can mostly keep up with my patron feature and cure wounds. Right now we only have 1 character who can fight in melee, the dex based barbarian, so I thought it would be good if I gained some melee power to act as an off melee.

Race tiefling, class warlock, patron celestial, boon tome. inspiring leader feat (dm ruled it stacks with level 10 feature)

stats 5 str, 17 dex, 10 con, 14 int, 11 wis, 20 cha.

class cantrips, eldritch blast, mage hand, true strike (this third one im not sure on.)

race cantrips: thaumaturgy

patron cantrips: sacred flame and light.

pact cantrips: green flame blade(picked over booming blade because of level 6 patron feature adding charisma damage), guidance, spare the dying (not sure if nececary considering I can heal)

Invocations: agonizing blast and book of ancient secrets

1st level spells. Hex, cure wounds, armor of agathys

2nd level spells, lessor restoration, hold person.

racial spell, helish rebuke.

rituals: find familiar, comprehend languages, identify

familiar: owl

So what do you think? Should I change anything?

Should you change anything? I don't know.
1st: Consider the character you want to play.
2: Ask yourself "Does this stuff I've chosen let me play that character?"
3: If yes? +
If no, identify the part(s) that aren't fitting & change those.

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Your party is in serious trouble. Your warlock isn't built for healing. He would be an ok secondary healer like a paladin if would've taken 1lvl of fighter and went Aasimar and pact of the blade. Temp HP don't stack that's a written rule and should not be up for debate, and you shouldn't waste a feat in inspiring leader anyway. If you are gonna stay tome, booming blade is a better option since you should only melee in rare circumstances, and Mobile would definitely be a better feat. You can stab and run, and if the creature chases you, BOOM extra damage. The problem with Warlocks is, they are cantrip casters because of their limited spell slots. Sure you have your dice pool and can provide small healing, but you have no big heals and that is gonna hurt your party in the long run. If you want to heal, be a life cleric. As I stated before, as a warlock, you'll only be good for secondary healing.

I'd like to offer some counterpoints:

I've played with no primary healer and just a non-healing-focus bard helping to stand people up and it works because of the amount of out-of-combat self-healing in the game. You do not need a primary healer, though just like any other gap it does change how you play. Heck, I played an Out of the Abyss campaign where the only cleric cast one heal in-combat the entire campaign and used all her spell slots offensively. With the Celestial Warlock's bonus-action healing you can fulfill the roll of "stand-up healer" just fine, though range of touch is a bit limiting.

Inspiring Leader on a CHR-focused character is generally considered a solid party support feat. As neogod22 wrote temp HPs don't normally stack, but I'm glad your DM decided to be creative in allowing people to play what they want and let it stack with your Celestial Resilience when there is no other primary healer. It's not overpowered in that case, and the DM can always house rule to encourage fun.

He does provide a good idea with using mobile and booming blade to skirmish well, but frankly if you're just looking at doing damage EB will serve you as well without the investment. I still don't recommend spreading yourself thin and trying for front-line as well.

Numo_monk

First Post
Change everything. If you want to be primary healer, nothing better than a cleric. You get high ac, you get heals, you get good damage from spells and not just cantrips.

Remove ads