Will you make transsexual Elves canon in your games ?

Lets go a little darker here: Rumor has spread that a Drow with the Blessing has used it to escape their duties (female->male) or risen above their station (male->female). They must be hunted down and assassinated, but none can find out what is going on, because this person is from the party's patron House! Secrets and intrigue and bloodshed abound!
This one is pretty strongly implied by the book itself.

Although given all the other changes it describes for drow given the severance of their connection to Corellon (no memories during trance, no moonbow in the eyes, etc.), I'm kind of skeptical that a major Blessing of Corellon would still be present among them.

On the other hand, even the rumor of the Blessing appearing among the drow would be enough to send their crazy-sexist society into an uproar, whether or not it actually did.

Les Moore

Explorer
Many animals can switch gender without magic so not sure why this is a shock. Wasn't Corellon originally described as androgynous as well?

I just don't see where gender change would affect the general outcome of the game. Would it perhaps, as sex change to female, make the character a
thinner, lighter, rogue/thief? Would a change to a male give the character better upper body strength for climbing, or fighting?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Hmmm...back a while ago, Marvel Comic’s Hercules used to bestow “The Gift” of combat with the son of Zeus only upon those he deemed worthy.

Also a while back, I wrote an (as yet unfinished) story about how all the “Prince Charmings” of European folklore were all the same guy, a serial bigamist.*

Combining this with Corellan’s Blessing...we get an Elven adventurer/trickster/grifter who- as a charming noble prince- settles down for a decade or so with a beautiful human princess to give her his gift. Until the pressures and responsibilities of being a palace dad get too much, that is. The Prince then becomes female merchant to evade pursuit.

20 years later and 100 miles away, “an elvish Prince” reappears, and repeats.

* in my story, he’s being hunted by 7 very angry dwarves because he skipped out on their beloved Snow.

Sadras

Legend
Some great ideas. Definitely going to run my next short campaign around one of these.

@BookBarbarian, in case you had missed it, you might be interested in this poster's take on flanking. I quite like it, although I just might also be willing to give flankers a +2 bonus.

Last edited:

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
I find it interesting to note the assumption that there is sexual dimorphism among elves. Why would elven females be on average, smaller, lighter, or less strong than male elves?

gyor

Legend
I just don't see where gender change would affect the general outcome of the game. Would it perhaps, as sex change to female, make the character a
thinner, lighter, rogue/thief? Would a change to a male give the character better upper body strength for climbing, or fighting?

The only mechanical effect I think would be as a disguise.

I haven't read the whole thread (obviously!), but I just wanted to say that I found this all a little hilarious because I've long thought of Elves as basically transhuman, and sort of "future people", because of their sort of "better at everything" deal (nigh-immortality, great memories, don't sleep, perfect vision, etc. etc.), and how close it often runs to transhuman visions. And this is spot on for that, because it's just like stuff people in The Culture (from Iain M Banks' books) can do. So it's so spot-on to how I've always thought of elves that it almost seems funny.

Remove ads