D&D 5E Offensive touch spells

Stalker0

Legend
Upon reading the find familar spell, it sounds like they changed the range in most offensive spells from "touch" to "5 feet" and then forgot to update find familar.

I agree, i think the oversight is in the find familiar spell.

As a note, another way to replicate this style is with a sorc, who can use the distant spell meta magic ability to make melee spell range 30 feet

theRogueRooster

First Post
I agree, i think the oversight is in the find familiar spell.

As a note, another way to replicate this style is with a sorc, who can use the distant spell meta magic ability to make melee spell range 30 feet
Except the only spells that have a range of 5 feet that I could find in the PHB is Word of Recall and the ranger's Cordon of Arrows.

My guess is that the situation is deliberate. A wizard isn't meant to be a pet class. The chainlock has a better argument for being a pet class, but not apparently in the capacity I'm looking for.

I hadn't noticed the sorcerer option. That merits some deliberation.

-tRR

Dallas Wilson

First Post
I came here to find an answer for the Continual Flame spell. The Light Cantrip is a Touch Attack spell when used against an unwilling target. But the Continual Flame spell, which according to the rules written, is a permanent until dispelled light source which requires no attack roll, and offers no saving throw, (the light spell offers a Dex saving throw in the description) Continual Flame is a very OP spell, the way it is written. Able to negate the invisibility of any creature which uses invisibility, permanently, without an attack roll or the benefit of a saving throw.

GX.Sigma

Adventurer
I came here to find an answer for the Continual Flame spell. The Light Cantrip is a Touch Attack spell when used against an unwilling target. But the Continual Flame spell, which according to the rules written, is a permanent until dispelled light source which requires no attack roll, and offers no saving throw, (the light spell offers a Dex saving throw in the description) Continual Flame is a very OP spell, the way it is written. Able to negate the invisibility of any creature which uses invisibility, permanently, without an attack roll or the benefit of a saving throw.

Continual Flame targets an object. A creature is not an object.

Caliban

Rules Monkey
Don't mind me, I'm just feeling around down here for a joke about the thread title.

You mean like:

Bigby's Probing Finger (Melee Attack Spell - causes target to jump 5' away from you)
Rashid's Offensive Gesture (Int Save or the target is forced to make their next attack against you in retaliation, disadvantage if they attack anyone else)
Dashiel's Inappropriate Touch (Melee Attack Spell - target is Feared and must run away from you, Wis save every round to end the effect.)

Last edited:

Warpiglet

Adventurer
So probing finger...is that on more than one list? I may have to multi class if not. It also begs another question:

What sort of life does my doctor leads outside of the office? Does she go to church a lot, try to invoke some sort of extra planar being while at occult book stores, or does she just study a bunch of her books in order to get it right?

Dallas Wilson

First Post
Continual Flame targets objects. Creatures wear and hold objects. Like I said, Light cantrip targets objects, and there is specific rules for the Light cantrip when touching objects worn by hostile creatures. Those restrictions are not given to Continual Flame. As written, Light Cantrip offers a Dex save to avoid. As written, there is nothing that can be done to avoid Continual Flame.

Samir

Explorer
Continual Flame targets objects. Creatures wear and hold objects. Like I said, Light cantrip targets objects, and there is specific rules for the Light cantrip when touching objects worn by hostile creatures. Those restrictions are not given to Continual Flame. As written, Light Cantrip offers a Dex save to avoid. As written, there is nothing that can be done to avoid Continual Flame.

You can just cover the flame with a piece of your clothing.

Seems fair. It's a 2nd level spell that costs 50gp per cast. See Invisibility is also a 2nd level spell.

Remove ads