Starfinder Talking With Starfinder Creative Director At Gen Con

While at Gen Con, I had the opportunity to briefly meet with James Sutter, the Creative Director for the new Starfinder game from Paizo Publishing, as well as the co-creator of the Pathfinder role-playing game. We met in the first hour of the con, before Starfinder sold out, when the press of bodies at the convention was trying to get to the Paizo booth and grab their copies of the game. Moving along the line of people waiting to pay for their copies was Sutter, moving along the line with a pen in hand to sign the copies of anyone who wanted a signature. He talked with everyone, and laughed with many.

The first day of Gen Con 2017 was a busy one for everyone, but no one publisher felt that quite like Paizo. This wasn't the first time that Paizo dominated a Gen Con and sold out their new core rules, either. I was at the Gen Con, nine years ago, when Pathfinder debuted and sold out then. This Gen Con had a similar feel to it. Not far from the booth, Paizo had a demo area where they were running Starfinder games for those attending the convention.

When I asked about Sutter what he thought about the reception that Starfinder was getting from Paizo fans he said "This is crazy. This is great." He said that neither he nor the company expected lightning to strike twice like this. "We knew that people were excited and engaged" but until seeing the crowds at Gen Con and interacting with them they didn't know just how excited that people were about Starfinder.

In fact, the best part of working on the project for Sutter was the audience's reaction to it as they launched previews and reveals of the game. He said that the work in getting the game together and out to the people was hard, but seeing the excitement of the fan base made all that hard work worthwhile.

Sutter said that his favorite race in the game were the ratfolk. He lobbied for their inclusion because he know that Starfinder groups would have people in that would love the race as much as he did.

As a big fan of science fiction, you could see some of the early threads that would lead to Starfinder in earlier Pathfinder works by Sutter, like Distant Worlds. Writing about space elevators and particle accelerators in the Pathfinder game excited him, but he (and his editors) knew that they had to pull back on the more overt science fiction for that game. But it laid the ground for what would end up being the Starfinder game.

We talked about those people who weren't happy about the disappearance of Golarion, and the idea of The Gap. Sutter said that this was "crucial to Starfinder succeeding" so that Pathfinder campaigns and adventures wouldn't have their agency removed, or have things spoiled by Starfinder being the future of Pathfinder.

The next big product for Starfinder that Sutter was excited for was the upcoming Pact Worlds Campaign Setting hardcover. This will give expanded information on the core setting of the Starfinder game. The book was designed with their goal of pushing content that would benefit both GMs and players, having new equipment and gear, races and options for characters and players.
SaveSave

dave2008

Legend
Interesting and thank you for posting it Christopher!

However, I find it really hard to believe that The Gap is crucial to Starfinder succeeding. If that is the case, then I think it is likely to fail

To clarify, I don't think Starfinder will fail and I don't think the Gap is crucuial. If I run a Starfinder game it will not be a part of our campaign at all.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Interesting and thank you for posting it Christopher!

However, I find it really hard to believe that The Gap is crucial to Starfinder succeeding. If that is the case, then I think it is likely to fail

To clarify, I don't think Starfinder will fail and I don't think the Gap is crucuial. If I run a Starfinder game it will not be a part of our campaign at all.

Weren't you just in a thread where you were surprised to find that there were people who only used canon stuff in D&D, and only bought stuff that was canon? Same applies here. There's lots of folks who do that. If it's in the book, it's part of their campaign.

Likewise. Golarion disappearing...ok. But if we are talking about thousands upon thousands of years between Pathfinder and Starfinder, the Gap really isn't necessary. think about how murky our own past even a few hundred years ago is. And computers do not make this much easier, with digitally-stored data degrading after a couple of years if not constantly being refreshed and copied onto better storage devices...

dave2008

Legend
Weren't you just in a thread where you were surprised to find that there were people who only used canon stuff in D&D, and only bought stuff that was canon? Same applies here. There's lots of folks who do that. If it's in the book, it's part of their campaign.

Yes, but that also explains my perspective ;) Maybe Pathfinder/Starfinder is different, but I believe for D&D the vast majority of people play in their own worlds/campaigns (i remember seeing that in news thread at some point). So I thought my view was shared by the majority, of course I guess that doesn't preclude Starfinder from needing that minority to make it a success

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Sutter overstates the "need" for the Gap. I find it incredibly lazy of them.

You think that the people who spent months producing a gorgeous several-hundred page full-colour book are "lazy"? Not just lazy, but "incredibly lazy"?

Tough audience.

God I hate the internet sometimes. It successfully parodies itself so often.

Emirikol_Prime

Explorer
You think that the people who spent months producing a gorgeous several-hundred page full-colour book are "lazy"? Not just lazy, but "incredibly lazy"?

Tough audience.

God I hate the internet sometimes. It successfully parodies itself so often.

Oh so full of yourself this morning I see. Yes I find them not dealing with Golarion lazy and the excuse a poor one.

The internet allows you to have this forum so don't :):):):) on it.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World mobile app

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases