Got TOME OF BEASTS For 5E? You'll Want These Minis, Too!

Tome of Beasts, from Kobold Press, has proved a popular book - an enormous collection of more than 400 new monsters for your 5E game. However, it gets even better when you consider this Kickstarter from Effincool Minis, who are producing metal miniatures for the book. The Kickstarter is for 20 "core" miniatures from the book, with added minis for various stretch goals - they're funded and up to 23 of them so far with an ultimate goal for 50 to 60 miniatures.

For $40 you can pick six miniatures from the core set, and for $80 you can choose 12. $120 gets you the full 20 core set of miniatures. You an also add on miniatures from the stretch goal set as they are unlocked.

koboldminis.jpg
SaveSave

AriochQ

Adventurer
Not enough bang for my buck IMHO. I can buy a metal mini for about the same price online, so why would I back a Kickstarter to do so? The point of Kickstarter was for the buyer to assume some level of risk in exchange for a good deal on the purchase. The first Bones, I received 212 mini's for $100. I still see many of those mini's selling for $2-$3 each online. While I don't expect that degree of return on all Kickstarters, this one falls far short.

At this point, many of the Kickstarters are nothing more than alternative marketing. From a business perspective it makes perfect sense. Of course you would like to have enough guaranteed sales to cover your production costs before you even begin production. As a consumer, you need to make it worth my while to make that commitment.

@AriochQ The point of backing this Kickstarter is bringing these creatures to the tabletop. The only way you are going to see any of these monsters for use in game is through Effincool Miniatures. For all of teh reasons that I have already covered, we just cant do what Reaper does. :) That does not mean that I do not value everyones input on this project! thanks for taking the time to comment. I also would like to add, that if you pledge for $360.00 and this project unlocks all of the stretch goals, that works out to $6.00 a mini, and includes 2 dragons and several larger pieces. I know this is not near the value that Reaper is able to afford, but it is the best we can do.

Last edited by a moderator:

happyhermit

Adventurer
If these were plastic minis, pre-painted or not, I wouldn't consider backing them. The fact that they are metal and good quality has me considering it seriously. If I don't get them it will only be because I barely ever use mini's in 5e.

jimmifett

Banned
Banned
Hmmm, I love the idea of metal minis. I'm even fine with the pricing. It's the timing that's got me in a bind. This close to xmas, when I'm already dealing with my wallet threatening seppuku from buying gifts for the family this year. Waifu would have my jhorblochs in the non happy-fun-time kind of way.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases