How much do you care about "balanced" dice?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I've been using my original little pale grey d20 for nearly 39 years now. I'm certain it rolls higher than average.

You can test it, if you have the courage. Roll 100 times (or more, if you like), and do a little math.

https://rpg.stackexchange.com/questions/70802/how-can-i-test-whether-a-die-is-fair

Note before you try this that having one's preferred narrative contradicted sometimes has adverse results. You may decide to live with your perception, rather than the harsh light of statistical analysis.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
@doctorbadwolf Well, yes, with age reading dice from afar can be a challenge. But I think I've found the answer:

That works too! But yeah, I actually see fine. I’m the only one of my friends who doesn’t need glasses at all, so far. We just all roll in our little space on the table, and call out the result.

We kinda suspected one of our friends of using (accidentally) loaded dice, because she rolled so high so consistently we let her roll everyone’s stats for one shots, and we had to change gambling and hacking rules to require more successful rolls bc of her die results and their consistency, but it help true even when she rolls other people’s dice.

And before you try it, @Umbran we already tested it with 200 rolls. She legitimately rolls higher, on average. Sometimes things are just weird.:cool:

Last edited:

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
We kinda suspected one of our friends of using (accidentally) loaded dice, because she rolled so high so consistently we let her roll everyone’s stats for one shots, and we had to change gambling and hacking rules to require more successful rolls bc of her die results and their consistency, but it help true even when she rolls other people’s dice.

How you physically roll the dice matters. Consider having her use a dice cup or dice tower, which significantly limit the ability to control the dice rolling, and see if the result changes.

I

Immortal Sun

How you physically roll the dice matters. Consider having her use a dice cup or dice tower, which significantly limit the ability to control the dice rolling, and see if the result changes.

On a spindown die this can have an effect. On a regular die this is just superstitious nonsense.

Besides, I don't think doctorbadwolf is actually very concerned with the situation.

doctorbadwolf

Even if I still played with her, I wouldn’t be that worried about it. However, I can tell you that she didn’t have a single specific way of rolling.

But mostly, yeah, that isn’t a thing. If the die rolls, it’s as random as it’s gonna be.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I mostly use old school plastic dice that are closing in on being round. I grabbed some new ones at GaryCon but they are too pristine for my tastes at this point. Being in that massive dice bag is wearing them a bit though. I wish I had my old Red Box D20. It would probably be a hammer of god at this point. :(

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
But mostly, yeah, that isn’t a thing. If the die rolls, it’s as random as it’s gonna be.

Yep. *If* it rolls. You realize that just one die instead kinda flopping and not rolling can impact the average result when rolling stats, yes?

That's why I recommend the cup and dice tower, as those help insure rolling.

doctorbadwolf

Yep. *If* it rolls. You realize that just one die instead kinda flopping and not rolling can impact the average result when rolling stats, yes?

That's why I recommend the cup and dice tower, as those help insure rolling.

Not really, unless they literally drop it so it doesn’t even bounce, and drop it in the position they want, which is very hard with a d20.

Regardless, as I already said, the person in question didn’t have a specific way of rolling. There is no genuine possibility that they are achieving consistently high die results by rolling a certain way.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I have a player that probably averages 6 on his D20 rolls over the past 18 years. All kinds of different dice, my dice, his dice, anyone's dice. He is just cursed by the gods.

Remove ads