Bruce Cordell leaves WotC

Shemeska

Adventurer
Bruce's 2e stuff was amazing, and Planescape's 'Guide to the Ethereal' which he wrote is one of my favorite RPG supplements of all time. Additionally, 3e's 'Sunless Citadel' which Bruce also wrote was the first D&D module I ever played, shortly after being introduced to the game for the first time. :D

I wish him good luck!

JeffB

Legend
Time to be concerned?

I was concerned about 4 packets ago ;)

On a serious note, I was kind of relieved when Monte quit, and if Bruce was designing too ?......well, I feel better about him going elsewhere. I do not care for either of them from a design or fluff text standpoint. Seem like cool guys....it is nothing personal.

Dausuul

Legend
OK, so two major game designers have quit Next.

Time to be concerned?

Depends on what you thought of their contributions. :)

Unless you think this is a sign of dysfunction behind the scenes and these guys have private information which says Next is going down in flames. Which is possible, of course, but the great thing about an open playtest is that we can see the state of the project (albeit with a couple months' lag time), and it looks to me to be coming along nicely. I think this is just regular turnover at Wizards.

Last edited:

Warbringer

Explorer
Depends on what you thought of their contributions. :)

Unless you think this is a sign of dysfunction behind the scenes and these guys have private information which says Next is going down in flames. Which is possible, of course, but the great thing about an open playtest is that we can see the state of the project (albeit with a couple months' lag time), and it looks to me to be coming along nicely.

I guess Monte was early enough and as Bruce hasn't been seen to be high profile maybe no biggie. However, to me I will troubled by some of the "math" behind the game... But as Mike and co have said, make the game fun first then worry about the balance later.

Obryn

Hero
OK, so two major game designers have quit Next.

Time to be concerned?
Dude, I've been concerned.

But look... There could be a lot of reasons for his departure. Discord in the design team is only one possibility. Whatever the reason for his departure, the act of his departing doesn't make me any more concerned than I was already.

On the other hand, the fact of his departure is troubling because now we've lost both of the guys behind the wonderful new(ish) Gamma World, and neither their voices nor design chops will be around to shape Next's development.

-O

Remove ads