Your favourite Star Treks?

Babylon 5 :p

Honestly though, nothing will replace NG for me.

What do you want, you moon faced assassin of joy?!

DS9
First Contact
TNG
The Spock Trilogy (Wrath, Search, Voyage)
Enterprise (specifically 3 and 4, but I do like it overall)
Trek 2009
TOS
Beyond
Discovery
The Undiscovered Country
Into Darkness
The Final Frontier
Generations
Insurrection
Nemesis
Voyager
The Motion Picture
TAS

GreyLord

Legend
I'll be the one that Trekkers (or is that Trekkies) seem to hate with some of my choices perhaps...

1. ST: TNG
2: ST: TOS
3. ST 6: Undiscovered Country
4: ST 2: Wrath of Kahn
5: ST 4: Search for Wh...I mean the Voyage Home
6. ST 3: Search for Spock
7. ST 8: the Bor...I mean First Contact
8. ST 10: Nemesis (I know real Trekkies seem to hate this, but I really like it).
9. Star Trek (2009)
10. Star Trek: Kahn II...I mean Into Darkness
11. ST VOY
12. ST DS9
13. ST Discovery
14. S: Enterprise
15. ST 9: Insurrection
16. ST: TAS
17. ST 5: Final Frontier
18. ST 13: Beyond
19. ST 7: Generations
20 ST: The Motion Picture

Did I get them all...did I miss anything...I think I got them all but reserve the right to return and edit if I recall one I forgot.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The farther we get from Roddenberry's death, the less "like Star Trek" the Trek universe material gets.
The fundamental conceit that made TOS work was "What if the better angels of human nature was in the ascendant?" This question is timeless.

Undiscovered Country was too obviously trying to make a political analogy and stumbling badly in the process.
Final Frontier (IIRC) was written in reverse: the conclusion that this being is a fake God, then push the cast around to get from a boring patrol mission to arrive at the end on time.

In contrast, Wrath of Khan was the best Star Trek movie.
Its immediate sequels begin well - Sarek trying to balance a lifetime of unemotional logic with a father's pain upon realizing his son is truly dead. In less than a minute of screen time he becomes a sympathetic character (in the TV episode he was an obstacle to be overcome) - but the films have an increasing 'hokey factor' as the thunderbolt of inspiration runs out.
I liked The Motion Picture as a 'thinker's Star Trek'. What if Spock wasn't constrained by a 30-minute TV time slot?

Remove ads